Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2017, 02:01 PM

NEVER! I've made the same mistake and took me twice the time to heal! (Stress fracture on top of my left foot).

Enviado de meu Moto G (4) usando Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2017, 10:17 AM

Compound fracture 5th. Doctors had me walking around in a boot.

2 weeks after the break, blood clot and 3 day hospital stay. Stupid docs, the whole process was effed. Anyhow, three days after i left the hospital I was out on my mtb riding around. The only problem I had, twisting my foot out of the pedals. Did that with the assist of my hands.

The concern I had then, I was on blood thinners so didn't want to crash. Foot was fine and I really enjoyed the fresh air and activity.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:38 AM

Do what your doctor advises. If you feel that he or she is too cautious find one who works with Dartmouth's athletic department and get a second opinion.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Did you hurt it while riding? My rule is that if I did not hurt it while riding, and it does not hurt while riding, it is okay to ride.
Ok, that opens you up for a lot of scenarios:

1. What about accidentally shooting yourself in the abdomen?
2. What if you tear your scrotum, sliding down a flagpole and catching the rope retainer, in a drunken frenzy?
3. What if you have caustic chemicals accidentally sprayed into your eyes, causing temporary blindness?
4. What if you rupture your patellar tendon playing pickup football?
5. What if you slip on some random citrus fruit lying on the bathroom floor, and fracture your sacrum?

I could go on.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:23 PM

I have a foot that requires me to wear a brace when I walk, or I get lots of pain in it. However, I don't wear the brace to ride & get no pain. It's all a matter of what it is that's damaged. In my case, it's the joint that works for supination/pronation. Not really stressed for riding.
I'd be surprised if the answer isn't "Try it & see if it hurts". All depends on where the fx is.
But, yeah, assuming you're talking to an Ortho Dr, do what he says. If not, go see one.