Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2017, 01:49 PM

650B Panaracer Gravel King vs Pacenti Paris Moto

Are these the same tires in 650B 42mm? The Pacenti is described as having Gravel King Casing and tread and weight of 300g in 42mm or 1.75".The Panaracer lists it weight at 350g in 42mm.Price seems to be same after shipping costs.TPI info is confusing Pacenti lists at 120(if it uses gravel king casing and tread how?) while Gravel King 66? Anyone using these?
Old 07-26-2017, 02:23 PM

You might have better luck in the 650b Google group.

I've only ridden the original Pacenti Pari Moto (i.e. the 'blue label' before being bought out and produced under the Panaracer name), but many people have experience with both versions. For me, the Pari Moto v1 was too thin and wore too fast for me. I surmise v2 is the same story, but not sure.

I've ridden the 700x32 Gravel King and it generally seems like a better-wearing tire. Granted, two different tire sizes, and my 650b randonneur sees *many* more miles than my city commuter with the 700c GKs.

I might order a set of the 650b GKs for my next set just to give them a shot, now that you mention them.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:32 PM

Gravelking has more tread than the Pari Moto. It may or may not have a liner inside the sidewall, but the rubber that meets the road is thinner on the Pari Moto as far as I know.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:15 PM

I'm surprised more people don't know that Panaracer makes the Pacenti tires, as well as the Compass ones. If you look at the tread pattern it would be obvious. Tire molds are expensive.

I've found the early Pari-motos are lighter/thinner but that's likely the casing not the rubber. The 38mm size are lighter by a bit, but the 42's should be the same. Maybe Kirk can chime in with the real info.

I really wanted to get some tires made for us by Panaracer, but that bike model didn't make it to production.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:30 PM

bringing this back, with more questions.

Grand bois
compass
gravel king
pari moto

all made by panaracer, all pretty much the same (from the outside).

I have been running compass babyshoe extralights, like them, ride nice, good luck with flats so far.

Looking for some replacements and it just seems a bit confusing, the parimotos are even lighter and half the price of the babyshoes extralights. I am tempted but perhaps I will get an annoying amount of punctures.

The gravel kings seem like they may just be lower price regular compass babyshoe. I can't seem to find reliable TPI info for them though.

I like black walls so the gran bois are out, anyone have anything else to add? experience, etc?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:02 PM
aka RAEKWON

I had terrible luck with the parimotos. 200 miles and they had so many cuts. To me, they are event only tires (aka, I don't need them).

The babyshoes are a bit more built than the hetres, they last longer.

Never tried the GKs.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:36 PM

We have a set of GKs my wife's MAP as of this afternoon.

167 miles of gravel ahead of us starting on Thursday.

Will report back.

As an alternate solution, what about BG Rock 'n Roads?
Old 08-01-2017, 05:44 PM

I've seen the GravelKings listed as 120/127 tpi on a bunch of sites. I have the smooth 32mm and that sounds about right, they ride much nicer than the Paselas/Tservs. I'll probably even purchase the 38mm SK version for gravel/fire roads.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:55 PM

I have experience with the current 42mm Pari-Moto's (with Gravel King casing) and the 42mm Gravel King's, both 650b.

PM's felt very nice, but have a very thin casing and tread. Very susceptible to cuts, especially in the wet. I didn't try running them tubeless, but I've read reports that it doesn't work - good chance of blow-off.

GK's feel nice, but slightly less supple than the PM's. That's offset by a slightly thicker tread and good tubeless compatibility. I'm very happy with mine and will continue to buy them in the future. You can find them for about $70 pair on the Bay.

I'm also excited about the 48mm GK's that are just starting to become available, both in slick and SK treads.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:15 PM

Been running Pari Moto's for two years now and haven't found them to be any more or less susceptible to flats than any other lightweight tire. Having said that, just put a set of Gravel Kings on my wife's bike. They might be slightly more robust but the difference is slight. And you can't beat the price of the Moto's.