Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Gonna play devils advocate: why?
Ankle stability for one.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Ankle stability for one.
I’m asking specifically why. ‘Ankle support’ or ‘stability’ from footwear is largely not real. You can still roll your ankle in a boot. Ankle protection from a boot in specific environments however is real. I.e. protecting your ankle from scrapes and cuts.

The most effective way to support an ankle is to strengthen or rehabilitate the ankle in the case of a specific injury. If full rehabilitation is not possible something like a figure of 8 ankle brace is going to be far more effective than a shoe ever would be. And that can be worn in a trail runner. There’s a reason 95% of people long distance hiking are wearing low top trail runners.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I’m asking specifically why. ‘Ankle support’ or ‘stability’ from footwear is largely not real. You can still roll your ankle in a boot. Ankle protection from a boot in specific environments however is real. I.e. protecting your ankle from scrapes and cuts.

The most effective way to support an ankle is to strengthen or rehabilitate the ankle in the case of a specific injury. If full rehabilitation is not possible something like a figure of 8 ankle brace is going to be far more effective than a shoe ever would be. And that can be worn in a trail runner. There’s a reason 95% of people long distance hiking are wearing low top trail runners.
That has not been my experience. Mid cut boots give me more ankle support.

I have extremely flat feet which cause me to pronate and also results in ankle instability. I do strengthening exercises for them all the time.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:

I have extremely flat feet which cause me to pronate and also results in ankle instability. I do strengthening exercises for them all the time.
Backpacking light forum used to be another haunt for me and guys with a ton more distance hiking experience than I ever will aggressively argue that is simply not true and I will have to agree. I find the most stable solution is a zero drop shoe with minimal padding so you feel the trail and don’t have all that stiff rubber and stack under the foot that reduces traction and makes it easier to roll. Not all feet can take that though. I am less likely to roll my foot in a Chaco or Altra lone peak/olympus than a high cut hiking boot.

The higher cuffs provide more protection against scuffs on rocks, etc though which could be really important for certain trails or personal needs. But they don’t provide more stability. A boot to me feels like a cast that weighs a ton that slows me down and has less traction. The impervious feel some offer is addicting though and can be worth it I suppose just for that experience alone. I rarely will still wear my Aku or Zamberlan welted all leather boots in the winter hiking in the southwest higher elevations. They last forever!

Same with waterproof boots in nearly all scenarios…don’t need em!

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 03-03-2024 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Same with waterproof boots in nearly all scenarios…don’t need em!
Snow, crossing creeks and streams, mud, rain?
Old 03-03-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Snow, crossing creeks and streams, mud, rain?
Some guys do low cut open sandals…always.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Some guys do low cut open sandals…always.
...and some people are never wrong. Thanks for the feedback, I'm not one of them.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:54 AM

It simply requires thinking outside the box when the goal is to minimize weight and move quickly. I and they are not in discomfort, far from it, more comfort..
Old 03-03-2024, 08:02 AM

I’m not one of those that uses sandals or sneakers in all conditions. I’ve seen people that do though and they do quite fine. Obviously they arent doing this up Everest. But I’ve seen people in sandals and socks in the Adirondacks in extremely cold winter conditions. They are nuts I think but don’t appear to suffer.

In the winter I wear thin liner socks with a vapor barrier sock that is knee high and extremely warm and waterproof. It is thick so I need a size up in trail shoes. This works in anything I’ve experienced that’s not mountaineering needing stiffer shoes.

In the other seasons the same shoe in a smaller size…
Old 03-03-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Backpacking light forum used to be another haunt for me and guys with a ton more distance hiking experience than I ever will aggressively argue that is simply not true and I will have to agree.
These are also the same people cutting their toothbrush handle in half, and drilling holes in the remaining part to make it lighter.

Fastpacking and superlight has a place if you have limited time and want to max out mileage.

But for us mortals, life's too short.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:33 AM
Administrator

I can never understand the hiking in sandals thing. I guess it depends on terrain, but how the hell do you keep little pebbles and gritty mud from getting in and cutting/chafing the foot?
Old 03-03-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I can never understand the hiking in sandals thing. I guess it depends on terrain, but how the hell do you keep little pebbles and gritty mud from getting in and cutting/chafing the foot?
Last time I hiked fast in my chacos I ripped half my big toe nail off hitting it on a rock. I decided that is the last time and will stick with trail shoes from now on. The chacos are heavy but comfortable and work through anything. I rarely get small rocks under the foot even when hiking in kitty litter rocks in the desert. Never did one cause a cut, occasionally it would hurt a bit, usually though not enough to stop me to remove, and I’d just shake it out while walking.

Bedrock sandals expose the foot even more but offer an exceptional feel and traction. I hiked up mt LeConte after a heavy rain last summer in them newly purchased the day before with no break in. The trail was very wet; basically a cold wet stream the entire way. My feet were cool feeling and wet but it was tolerable and it didn’t matter where I stepped. I had thick winter socks to wear on dry happy feet that night on top the mtn where we stayed. Others with me in boots and shoes still had wet feet the next day and two had blisters from softening skin.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 03-03-2024 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:

I have high arches and pronate big time, also. Insoles, a low drop shoe between 0-4mm, lacing methods and simply getting used to low tops alleviated all of this for me. I’m sure you’ve tried different footwear and if you’re happy with what you have - great. But trail runners really are the bees knees. IMO. My die hard leather hiking boot ‘ankle support’ dad even finally made the switch last year and he lives in boggy, muddy England. He constantly tells me about how happy he is with the change and he’s almost 70.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 03-03-2024 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:

I disagree with this. I've rolled my ankle and boots with ankle support definately help. Having bowed legs, I'm more prone to rolling an ankle than others.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I disagree with this. I've rolled my ankle and boots with ankle support definately help. Having bowed legs, I'm more prone to rolling an ankle than others.
Hiking poles and trail runners will serve you far better. High cut boots protect from impacts and will provide very minimal actual ankle support.