Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2017, 05:49 AM

OT: finally an electric car I can get behind

Look at this beautiful beast debuted this week.

So simple, so ugly, yet so pretty at the same time (subjective, I know)

It looks like someone copied two of my favorite al time 4 wheel designs and simplified them even more.....or it looks like a lego version of them, whichever you prefer.

All electric, 200 mile range, front facing and rear facing cargo bed, $60k

want.

http://jalopnik.com/bollingers-200-m...rug-1797333580
Old 07-29-2017, 05:52 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Wow!

Would it have killed them to smooth out the front end just a teeny bit? You can't get much boxier than that.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:34 AM

Kind of reminds me of the old willy's jeep I learned to drive on my grandfather's farm crossed with an original ford bronco, but boxier. Cool truck!
Old 07-29-2017, 07:41 AM

Interesting but the range, 200 miles, is too limited to be practical for a lot of us who live out west.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Interesting but the range, 200 miles, is too limited to be practical for a lot of us who live out west.
Yup, needs to be quick-charge/swappable powerpacks/better battery range/numerous e-stations, something...before e-cars are any kind of mainstream.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:57 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, needs to be quick-charge/swappable powerpacks/better battery range/numerous e-stations, something...before e-cars are any kind of mainstream.
Even with that, traveling the backcountry where the range is most likely half.... You can strap gas cans to the truck. But a pallet of battery packs?
Old 07-29-2017, 09:26 AM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
0P gets it.
For any kind of mainstream "take over" by electric vehicles, there need to be industry standard removable and swappable battery packs that can be changed at battery stations regularly spaced across travel areas. Think of the Blue Rhino propane tank business model. 5-10 different shapes/designs should be enough to make any EV vehicle designer happy. No need to have integrated batteries. I have a Fiat 500e, and if it wasn't for the limited range I would likely drive nothing else...electric is that good and cheap and simple to run.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:45 AM

Someone needs to invent the battery equivalent of the Jerry can.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:01 AM
slower than you

Why in the world do you want something like that? At 60 grand?? What are you going to use it for? Where do you live? Hell, if that thing goes to market, I'll bet you a hundred dollars we'll all be reading about a Carhartt's clad family freezing to death on some mountain fire road (a road, not a wrong turn) after a snow event because...........the batteries died! In the cold. They have a shortened life in the cold, you know,, like any other battery.
Ok, even if the Carhartt's family is buying that thing to look rugged and manly and tough driving to the ski hill on paved roads, they might not make it with the 200 mile range, especially in the .......... Cold! 200 miles? Gimmeeabreak.
60 grand would buy you three lightly used Subaru Foresters (I'm biased, that's my car) that will go pretty much anywhere 99% of humans want to go, with snow tires and skid plates, and have an infinite range if a gas station is nearby.

I've been thinking that when I make my John Cheever like film about the petit burgeois in upper middle class suburbia, where I live, everyone is going to be driving around in monster all wheel drive safari vehicles with those ridiculously loud tires. We're almost there where I live. That and shiny new 70,000 dollar pickup trucks driven by guys in suits. Sheesh.

end of rant.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:12 AM

I am seriously considering buying one. I love it. Not sure how I am going to convince my wife a Model X is not better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Why in the world do you want something like that? At 60 grand?? What are you going to use it for? Where do you live? Hell, if that thing goes to market, I'll bet you a hundred dollars we'll all be reading about a Carhartt's clad family freezing to death on some mountain fire road (a road, not a wrong turn) after a snow event because...........the batteries died! In the cold. They have a shortened life in the cold, you know,, like any other battery.
Ok, even if the Carhartt's family is buying that thing to look rugged and manly and tough driving to the ski hill on paved roads, they might not make it with the 200 mile range, especially in the .......... Cold! 200 miles? Gimmeeabreak.
60 grand would buy you three lightly used Subaru Foresters (I'm biased, that's my car) that will go pretty much anywhere 99% of humans want to go, with snow tires and skid plates, and have an infinite range if a gas station is nearby.

I've been thinking that when I make my John Cheever like film about the petit burgeois in upper middle class suburbia, where I live, everyone is going to be driving around in monster all wheel drive safari vehicles with those ridiculously loud tires. We're almost there where I live. That and shiny new 70,000 dollar pickup trucks driven by guys in suits. Sheesh.

end of rant.

Last edited by joosttx; 07-29-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:23 AM

Urban adventurers from the NYC suburbs stuck on route 89 in Bolton Flats, VT in late January after their politically correct electric SUV dies.....all the makings of an epic survival movie.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:31 AM

I put about 10,000 miles a year on my car, if I do some road trips. My commute is 10 miles total in virtually no traffic. My hunting grounds are 60 miles away.

All I need is a solar roof for charging, room for a bike, and I'm good to go!

I find this utilitarian design ultra refreshing. Two round gauges on the dash, I just love it.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:36 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Urban adventurers from the NYC suburbs stuck on route 89 in Bolton Flats, VT in late January after their politically correct electric SUV dies.....all the makings of an epic survival movie.
No, they're usuall off the side of the highway on their sides or roofs because they think they can drive them like sports cars, you know, like in the commercials.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:53 AM

I went ahead and put myself on the list.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:05 AM

Uber cool, but more of novelty item than something with any practical value....at least for me. That low 200 range will kill it for most. But love the look, I see a little bit of International Scout in the body design.