Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2017, 06:58 PM

If you can't get the build sheet and all the data that you need, It's better to pass on it. On a used custom bike, one needs to know exactly what they will be getting.

The OP made the right decision.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:12 PM

Like any other bike the fit is paramount if you want to get the best out of it for you. For me, it's the best bike I've ever ridden, but I made sure of the specs (geo) and tube stiffness. It fit me perfectly and I really don't care about tire clearances-I only ride 23's or 25's. after 43 years of riding it is the best bike I've ridden & ive ridden few carbons. An added bonus- you won't be riding what everybody else riding -Treks, specs, giants.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

The build quality and tubing in the Meivici's still put it at or very near the top of the carbon frame food chain. Mike Lopez did a wonderful job defining the layup of the tubing offered in the bikes. Making sure the geometry works for you is 1st thing to do. After that try to figure out what tube and fork stiffness the frame was built with. Larger frames may have at least the 8.5 fork (there may be a marking on the steerer tube showing this) and maybe 8.5 down tubes. If I remember correctly there was even two options on the seat stay and chain stays. If the seller has the build sheet you'll be able to get all this info.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:50 PM

one man's ceiling

is another man's floor. This is kinda like buying a saddle only way more expensive. Be prepared to love it or not. just cuz some dudes love it, does not mean you will.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post
...but how did you mock up needed stack for your fit without the build sheet? Also, it appears in you first post you were comparing top tube lengths without knowing the HTA and STA angles. Headtube length and top tube length cannot be compared across two frames without knowing BB drop, HTA and STA. You need stack and reach #s in order to make real fit comparisons.
I'm not saying I had it down to an exact science, but basically I eyeballed and sat on (before installing cables/etc.) my Moots with the new fork installed and uncut, and with the stem put where it would be given the HT on the MeiVici. The Moots HT is 18.5, the MeiVici HT is 24. Based on what the owner told me, it doesn't have anything whacky-custom done to it - just a "fondo" height HT and level TT.

Of course it felt different having the bars up 5cm - not bad, just different, and the reach still seemed good. It felt like I remember the Domane feeling - which makes sense since the HT + HS cup on that brings it to within 1-2cm of what this would be.

I'd probably do fine with the frame. I think it'd fit well - and I have no reason to expect it wouldn't be a good setup in the carbon - the guy is/was the same weight as me and had this designed and built for the same thing I'm looking for - an alternative to my race-position bike, but not something slow.

I just have to decide tomorrow if I want to gamble on it, or save the scratch for a disc something or other.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
Like any other bike the fit is paramount if you want to get the best out of it for you. For me, it's the best bike I've ever ridden, but I made sure of the specs (geo) and tube stiffness. It fit me perfectly and I really don't care about tire clearances-I only ride 23's or 25's. after 43 years of riding it is the best bike I've ridden & ive ridden few carbons. An added bonus- you won't be riding what everybody else riding -Treks, specs, giants.
I'm highly enamored with lugged carbon - I saw a VXRS Ulteam at the LBS today that had me drooling - not the horse I'm looking for, but dang are they sezzy.

I mean, I'd love to get a Holland Carbon made for me, but I'm still unsure what specs I'd want - or a Sarto - and need to put some more miles in on bikes that aren't my normal race-focused geometry before I get a good enough feel for what I'd actually like to invest the serious cash in.

Last edited by Clean39T; 07-15-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I'm not saying I had it down to an exact science, but basically I eyeballed and sat on (before installing cables/etc.) my Moots with the new fork installed and uncut, and with the stem put where it would be given the HT on the MeiVici. The Moots HT is 18.5, the MeiVici HT is 24. Based on what the owner told me, it doesn't have anything whacky-custom done to it - just a "fondo" height HT and level TT.

Of course it felt different having the bars up 5cm - not bad, just different, and the reach still seemed good. It felt like I remember the Domane feeling - which makes sense since the HT + HS cup on that brings it to within 1-2cm of what this would be.

I'd probably do fine with the frame. I think it'd fit well - and I have no reason to expect it wouldn't be a good setup in the carbon - the guy is/was the same weight as me and had this designed and built for the same thing I'm looking for - an alternative to my race-position bike, but not something slow.

I just have to decide tomorrow if I want to gamble on it, or save the scratch for a disc something or other.
Very few if any carbon bikes will out do that Moots for what you'd be using it for.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
Very few if any carbon bikes will out do that Moots for what you'd be using it for.
Well, yes - but I want to keep this one in a fast/low position, with more aggressive gearing (granted the DA 11-30 / 52/36 is pretty low); and have another setup with less drop/reach, and a 11-32 / 50/34. Eventually the Moots will get some deep carbon rims, and the other would get the C2+ wheelset...unless I go with a disc something for that one.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:19 AM

You know, you could accomplish 80+% of what you're looking for by putting a 10-degree angled stem on the Moots and just flip it up and down. Add in a second pair of wheels with a different cassette and you're nearly there.

I mean, yes, it's 20 minutes of work to do that, but... /shrug/
Old 07-16-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Back "in the day" the place in SF to buy Serotta (and Seven) was City Cycle.

Since a half block from my MIL and the building my wife grew up in easy to go there and drool. When the owner died unexpectedly of a heart attack while riding the his wife tried to sustain it, eventually sold it. The heartbeat of the shop (fitter, mechanic, other guy) left to create Bespoke. Sadly, City Cycle is now a neighborhood box store featuring Trek. back then there was another shop called "Bike Nut" a half block away in the opposite direction. This was a shop with a case of AX/lightness stuff in it. $1,000 RD etc. Kuh - ray - zee!

You could always call Ari at Bespoke...(he probably fitted the owner) to get his take on the frame.

Personally, unless this frame is super cheap and you can see a clear resale path, I cannot see chasing it. If you want modern carbon, save some extra coins and get a custom Sarto made for you.
RIP Clay Mankin, and the store that he ran back in the day. I used to love looking at the beautiful steel Scapin bikes that he had, and I ultimately bought one of those and later a Seven. Guys like Clay don't come around very often.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:33 PM

Ari at Bespoke sent this over to me:

Working on reading the tea leaves and seeing what it tells me..
Old 07-16-2017, 11:41 PM
50 bpm

Doesn't tell me what carbon was used and where.

10.5 carbon was for me (and Steve) wayyyy to stiff. Great to climb on but damn uncomfortable when JRA.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Doesn't tell me what carbon was used and where.

10.5 carbon was for me (and Steve) wayyyy to stiff. Great to climb on but damn uncomfortable when JRA.

True. All I have to go on is that the owner said "not as stiff as my race bike for sprinting or standing climbing" "great seated climber" "absorbed road chatter really well (frame and fork), with the fork still being laterally stiff" and some other niceties. He's only 185lbs and with it not being crit geometry, and based on his description, I'd imagine it's 8.5.

Still, I gotta check fit a bit more.

Then it's a matter of being willing (or not) to lose a few hundred or so if I don't like it and have to resale.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:43 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworker View Post
RIP Clay Mankin, and the store that he ran back in the day. I used to love looking at the beautiful steel Scapin bikes that he had, and I ultimately bought one of those and later a Seven. Guys like Clay don't come around very often.
I went to Milan for the Italian bike show with Clay and 11 others and a nicer guy you'll never meet..a real shame..RIP..both he and his shop.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I went to Milan for the Italian bike show with Clay and 11 others and a nicer guy you'll never meet..a real shame..RIP..both he and his shop.
Agree, I used to stop in at least once a week on my weekly rides over to the GG Bridge to get my eye candy fix.