Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 07-09-2017, 08:30 AM
undermyfeat...

Will it fit me or no?

I've always been flummoxed by sizing issues. Here's the background;
I am 5'10, 150lbs. Average build - no overly long or short arms or legs.

I have a LeMond road bike size 55 that is always my go to bike.
Also have a LeMond cross bike in 55 that works but is not in the same zone.
I have a Chapman road bike made to my measurements. Top tube is near 56 c-c
and truthfully has always felt a bit big to me. Beautiful bike and comfortable ride, just not totally there.
Last is a CAAD5 size 54 which works great for me when I need it.

The question;
On our classifieds there's a Serotta CX for sale size 54.
Based on the information I've given can anyone give me some advice on whether or not it will work for me? I know these days we can make just about any bike fit with the options available but I'm talking basic fit without any crazy long stem or funky seat post etc.
It looks like a decent deal and I'd love to grab it to replace the beat up Poprad if it fits.
Thanks.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:56 AM

First step is to present the geometry of all the bikes in question if you want help. Information provided is insufficient and even if someone wanted to go to all the trouble to look up the information they would still not have the geometry of the custom Chapman frame.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:38 AM

You need to take that lemond and measure stack and reach and then work from there.

My guess is serotta 54 is too small, i had serottas in 54 and 56, and 55 would have been perfect. Im also 5'10" 150lbs.

it would work, but is that good enough?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:35 PM
undermyfeat...

I sent Brian Chapman the link with my question. He brought up the specs from the bike that he built for me and feels the Serotta would be too small.
I do seem to fall right in that 55 range.
I really appreciate the info also about the 54 and 56 Serottas. That pretty much puts the lid on it. Sound like you are exactly where I am fit-wise.
Much appreciated guys. I'd love to upgrade but I want to do it right.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:06 AM

A better way to gauge fit is to look at your CAAD and Lemond and measure the stack and reach. Thes are good constant numbers to track when comparing frames. Each manufacturer tends to publish differently so top tubes can be very deceiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_rinaldi View Post
A better way to gauge fit is to look at your CAAD and Lemond and measure the stack and reach. Thes are good constant numbers to track when comparing frames. Each manufacturer tends to publish differently so top tubes can be very deceiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very, very true especially since all manufacturers size numbers are calculated differently and are completely arbitrary.

Sizing in cm or inches is simply a first crack or baseline, but really good fit comes from the details and customization. While it's possible to get a suit or shirt that fits perfect off the rack, it's almost never going to compare with getting said pieces tailored. In bikes tailoring is done with stem, seatposts, angles, cranks, etc.

FYI I'm 5'-11" with normal length legs, long arms (wingspan ~6-'4") and decent flexibility. The 56 supersix and CAAD10's I had felt enormous, while same size in a roubaix I tried out felt tiny.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:29 AM

I'm about the same size as well, 5'11", but with a longer inseam. I also ride a 55cm Lemond Zurich as a 2nd bike, and a Giant TCR as my primary bike. The sizing on the two bike is fairly different (56.5cm Lemond TT vs 55.5cm Giant sloping TT) but I make them both work.

I would LOVE to see the actual Stack/Reach data for the Lemond frame. It should be the same for all his Steel frames from that era. Please update this post with numbers if you get them. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:36 AM
undermyfeat...

I actually have the original catalog with the specs for the LeMond road and Cross that I have. I will post it here over the weekend.
What shut the door for me was that Brian spent a lot of time with me setting up my Chapman - before and after it was built. Once he looked at the specs on the Serotta and explained why he believed it was too small it was off the table.
I had to defer to his expertise. It's a shame because he said if it had been more to my size he would've told me to jump on it.