Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 03:26 PM
n - 1

Shifter preference - Potenza or Chorus?

This is my first build with Campagnolo drivetrain. I bought a Potenza groupset a while back and recently acquired the frame, so now it's time to start the build. Along with the frame, a set of Chorus 11sp shifters were included.

I am wondering if it would be better to use that instead of the Potenza levers? I read up on the compatibility, and I believe what it came down to was 11sp Chorus should work just fine with Potenza. So, just curious which way I should go. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:28 PM

No longer a Campy user here, but it seems the potenza levers are the "one click at a time" system, whereas the chorus is the older version of several clicks at a time (which to me is the better version). Also, potenza's might not be rebuildable if that is a consideration. good move on putting chorus levers on. post a pic of your bici once assembled. would love to see it.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
This is my first build with Campagnolo drivetrain. I bought a Potenza groupset a while back and recently acquired the frame, so now it's time to start the build. Along with the frame, a set of Chorus 11sp shifters were included.

I am wondering if it would be better to use that instead of the Potenza levers? I read up on the compatibility, and I believe what it came down to was 11sp Chorus should work just fine with Potenza. So, just curious which way I should go. Thanks.
Droopy thumb button on Potenza, one higher gear at a time, Chorus non and multi higher gear shifts...Chorus may be 'clickier'...other than that they feel the same.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:53 PM

Honest question on Chorus and better. I've had both 10 speed era and newer Gumby style levers and thumb buttons. When doing absolute maximum effort puke one's guts out style sprints and trying to go one cog harder at a time, I don't have the finesse in my right thumb to just go one gear, 19 to 17, 17 to 15, 15 to 14, etc. I push the button too hard and jump a few cogs which messes up my rhythm. Due to design, I don't have this issue with Shimano STI or Sram levers. Am I the only one? Being left handed maybe?
Old 08-10-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
Honest question on Chorus and better. I've had both 10 speed era and newer Gumby style levers and thumb buttons. When doing absolute maximum effort puke one's guts out style sprints and trying to go one cog harder at a time, I don't have the finesse in my right thumb to just go one gear, 19 to 17, 17 to 15, 15 to 14, etc. I push the button too hard and jump a few cogs which messes up my rhythm. Due to design, I don't have this issue with Shimano STI or Sram levers. Am I the only one? Being left handed maybe?
Hmmm... everyone is different, but I can reliably get one cog at a time when doing an all-out-sprint effort (sitting or standing). In my case, I my normal sprinting position I have my hand all the way in the front of the handlebar "hooks" with my index finger snugged up under the lever body, so my thumb is right next to the upshift button anyway - just a quick flick of my thumb gets the next gear. Those whose hands are closer to the bottom flats will have a longer reach to the buttons.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
When doing absolute maximum effort puke one's guts out style sprints and trying to go one cog harder at a time, I don't have the finesse in my right thumb to just go one gear, 19 to 17, 17 to 15, 15 to 14, etc. I push the button too hard and jump a few cogs which messes up my rhythm. Due to design, I don't have this issue with Shimano STI or Sram levers. Am I the only one? Being left handed maybe?
I am in the same situation as you. For what it's worth, I have yet to be in a race situation where being able to accurately shift one cog whilst sprinting would have made a difference in my race results. This is over 25 race days this year, but then again I am not a field sprinter and I don't have great results.

I love Campy, but I do miss the ability to precisely shift one cog while throwing the bike back and forth in a sprint like I could with my SRAM setup. For that reason, I'm considering Potenza shifters for my next race bike.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
I am in the same situation as you. For what it's worth, I have yet to be in a race situation where being able to accurately shift one cog whilst sprinting would have made a difference in my race results. This is over 25 race days this year, but then again I am not a field sprinter and I don't have great results.

I love Campy, but I do miss the ability to precisely shift one cog while throwing the bike back and forth in a sprint like I could with my SRAM setup. For that reason, I'm considering Potenza shifters for my next race bike.
But Potenza isn't a 'race' group so probably can't use it, sorry.

-sarcasm intended
Old 08-10-2017, 06:30 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have athena and chorus/record/super record.

at first athena was weird with the single click, now I don't even notice it and I actually kind of like it. Never was I ridding and though, wow, I wish I could dump more than 1 gear at a time. of course I am always JRA.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:35 PM

Go Chorus. The ability to mash both thumbs down and come out in the small ring in a roughly comparable gear is a thing of beauty when the road goes vertical.

Some World Tour sprinters preferred the Escape (now Powershift) mechanism when it came out for the gear specificity issue.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:40 PM

The most tactile difference I experience is the soft or cheap feel of the Potenza lever. The thing feels so delicate that I worry about snapping it off with my bear paws (especially, the left shifter). If you have the Chorus shifters, stick with them and go all Potenza everywhere else. The stuff works and looks great, IMO. And, ya, being able to dump 5 cogs is legit.

Last edited by beeatnik; 08-10-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
The most tactile difference I experience is the soft or cheap feel of the Potenza lever. The thing feels so delicate that I worry about snapping it off with my bear paws (especially, the left shifter). If you have the Chorus shifters, stick with them and go all Potenza everywhere else. The stuff works and looks great, IMO. And, ya, being able to dump 5 cogs is legit.
This^^^^^^
Old 08-10-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
This sounds like a good plan.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:50 PM

I don't have any 11 speed shifters. But....do have a Ultra Shift 10 bike, and a Power Shift 10 bike. They are a tad different, but like how both works. The Ultra will "dump" gears, but I think the Power Shift is a tad more precise. No complaints with either. The hoods feel the same. Ultra shifts when you push the button, Power shifts when you release the button.

If I were to buy a Potenza Group......and if the Chorus shifters were a "free" upgrade, I might choose them over the Potenza's, Otherwise the Potenza's would be fine with me. Sure as heck would not spend any money to "upgrade" to the Chorus. (if I wanted Chorus, would just buy the Group to begin with)

I also think a lot of the "feel" people talk about has a lot to do with your skill in setting them up.....how long the cables are, B screw adjustment, how you cut the chain (tight will feel more precise), the curve of the bends, how old the wires and housing is, how the wires exits the lever housing, even how tight the bar tape, how square the end cuts are, plus a few other tricks of the trade.

There is so much lee way in setting these systems up....am sure they will all work fine together.

Last edited by Ralph; 08-12-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post

For me it's not racing but just pushing myself. It's less than 1% of my entire riding. For example there is one longer street in between stop signs near my home where I'm trying to finally hit 32mph from a dead stop. In the latter part of my 'field destroying sprint' my thumb's finesse ends up like jello. I actually would like to one day try the rare 10 speed Record Red logo with the uber-strength springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Go Chorus. The ability to mash both thumbs down and come out in the small ring in a roughly comparable gear is a thing of beauty when the road goes vertical.

Some World Tour sprinters preferred the Escape (now Powershift) mechanism when it came out for the gear specificity issue.
The two thumb button mash when you get to a climb is something the other groups can't offer. I find it especially nice with a compact crank. Well maybe the new DI2 can but it won't feel as good.

Quote:
I had to look at a picture again of the Potenza shifter. The alloy version doesn't have an alloy shifter paddle. I'll have to try a Potenza in person to see if it is anywhere near as bad as the mush of the original 2009 Gumby Centaur. Even a well worn in 7800 lever had more oomph to it as the clicks were so soft on downshifts. I was able to acquire the rare EC-CE110 retrofit but it never worked right.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:56 AM
n - 1

Thank you, everyone. I'll go Chorus levers and keep the Potenza as back ups.