Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 03:25 PM
cnighbor2

Campagnolo Chorus wheel question

Campagnolo Chorus wheel question
I just built up this wheel set to perhaps sell
I got the Campagnolo Chorus hubs of a Serotta member 126.5 mm rear spacing
When mounting the record 8-speed cassette I realized only 7 cogs fit. Prefer to mount 8 cogs can I just use narrower spacers to mount all eight cogs
Or does it get more complicated I got this statement of eBay Campagnolo Chorus/Record 7/8V Cassette 32 Rear Hub & QR spec.11-T cog NOS NIB MINT , ''Spaced at 130mm OLND, with a special, unusual cassette body which can only hold7 cogs using normal 8-speed spacers, if a standard lock ring is used instead of the included, special, thread-on 11T. Cassette body is about 5mm too narrow to fit a splined 8th cog; the threaded 11T cog must used for the 8th
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-C...EAAOSwFqJWh-kc
photos here I created add to post photos too big for this group
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bop/6270090253.html

Last edited by cnighbor1; 08-18-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:12 PM

It looks like you have a (rare) 7spd freehub.

Standard 7spd axle spacing is 126 mm - 8/9/10/11spd freehubs use 130 mm spacing.

When Campagnolo went from 7spd to 8spd, they kept the cassette sprocket center-to-center distance the same as 7spd (5.0 mm), and just made the cassette body wider to fit an extra sprocket, and also made the axle wider to fit the wider cassette body. This is why you found that only 7 sprockets of the 8spd cassette would fit on the freehub.

I'm not sure I'd try replacing the spacers to fit all 8 sprockets on - a 7spd cassette is about 32 mm wide, so to fit 8 sprockets in there, you'd have to reduce the space width by about 0.7 mm each - or reduce each space from 3.1 mm to 2.4 mm. This is about the width of a 10spd spacer. A chain that was narrow enough to fit between the sprockets might be too narrow to fit onto the sprocket. I think you are stuck with either using this hub as 7spd, or replacing the freehub body with an 8spd body.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
It looks like you have a (rare) 7spd freehub.

Standard 7spd axle spacing is 126 mm - 8/9/10/11spd freehubs use 130 mm spacing.

When Campagnolo went from 7spd to 8spd, they kept the cassette sprocket center-to-center distance the same as 7spd (5.0 mm), and just made the cassette body wider to fit an extra sprocket, and also made the axle wider to fit the wider cassette body. This is why you found that only 7 sprockets of the 8spd cassette would fit on the freehub.

I'm not sure I'd try replacing the spacers to fit all 8 sprockets on - a 7spd cassette is about 32 mm wide, so to fit 8 sprockets in there, you'd have to reduce the space width by about 0.7 mm each - or reduce each space from 3.1 mm to 2.4 mm. This is about the width of a 10spd spacer. A chain that was narrow enough to fit between the sprockets might be too narrow to fit onto the sprocket. I think you are stuck with either using this hub as 7spd, or replacing the freehub body with an 8spd body.
What Mark said. If 8s index shifting, thinner spacers won't work. If OP wants 8s, all 8 cogs, new FH body AND longer axle. Doubt it was 'Chorus' either. In that era only Record hubs... or Record OR.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:34 PM

Just a quick follow up ...

You mention wanting to use these wheels as 8spd ...

As mentioned, there's no practical way to make this hub work for 8spd. But if you've got an 8spd shifter/derailleur, then putting 7 sprockets from the 8spd cassette will work fine. Just block out the 8th shifting position with the derailleur limit screw.

Also note that: 1) Campagnolo 8spd spacing is the same as 7spd; and 2) virtually all 7spd spacing is universal - Shimano, SRAM, Suntour and Sachs used 5.0 mm center-to-center spacing for 7spd. Therefore, if using 7 sprockets from an 8spd Campagnolo cassette will result in the same spacing as the universal standard 7spd spacing. This means that you could use this hub with a Shimano 7spd shifter/derailleur, a Suntour 7spd shifter/derailleur, a Sachs 7spd shifter/derailleur, or a Campagnolo 7spd shifter/derailleur.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:16 PM
cnighbor2

Thanks

Thanks for all the great insight
it is seven cogs in the back
Charles
Old 08-19-2017, 04:37 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
virtually all 7spd spacing is universal - Shimano, SRAM, Suntour and Sachs used 5.0 mm center-to-center spacing for 7spd. Therefore, if using 7 sprockets from an 8spd Campagnolo cassette will result in the same spacing as the universal standard 7spd spacing. This means that you could use this hub with a Shimano 7spd shifter/derailleur, a Suntour 7spd shifter/derailleur, a Sachs 7spd shifter/derailleur, or a Campagnolo 7spd shifter/derailleur.
Suntour Microdrive 7sp had a mixture of 5.0/4.8mm spacing.....but otherwise you're correct. I ran 8sp Ergos with 7sp Sachs-Aris freewheels for years and still have one bike with that setup.

Charles...you might be able to run 8 cogs on there with thinner spacers if you use friction shifting (and probably a thinner chain as well).