Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2017, 06:02 PM

Mahall Bikeworks - anyone familiar? And experience with small builders...

I met Mark Hall of Mahall Bikeworks (http://www.mahallbikeworks.com/index.htm) at the Oregon Handmade Bike Show last weekend, and his clean builds that were on display have really stuck with me...so much so that I'm considering plunking down a deposit with him to get in line for an "all-road" custom...which I put as something that fits 32s, has fender mounts, dynamo wiring, discs, stable and comfortable, but still efficient...a true "all-day" bike.

Mark works in steel, and while his road bikes may look relatively simple/ordinary from a distance, up close he puts in a lot of cool little touches that I really drew me in: the machined stainless brake bridge with the "H" logo on his disc frames, little machined cutouts in the head-tube, sensible yet intricate lugwork, etc. Plus, he's on the taller side, so the bikes he brought were big, yet balanced. I like what he wrote about his build and customer-centered process on his site: his ethos really lines up with mine. And I like his interest in steel forks.

We've connected now and it looks like I could be in line for an Q1-2018 build. His prices seem very reasonable for the level of interaction and custom touches...so honestly, there's little holding me back at this point. Lord knows I've tried enough bikes to have a good idea what I want to do geometry and size-wise...and since he's only a half-day drive away, getting together to talk options, sizing, etc. is doable.

So, anyone here familiar with Mark or his work?

And in general, anyone interested in sharing their experience working with "smaller" builders?

Here's a pic of his FB page of a complete 853 roadie that looks pretty close to what I'd ask for, save for some lug-sculpting differences..

Old 08-17-2017, 06:27 PM

Two custom frames for me and one custom stem, all fantastic experiences.

My Della Santa, Roland predicted nearly to the exact day my frame would be in hand. My Rock Lobster, Paul ran over his initial estimate a bit for completion timing, but was open and up front about when it would arrive.

Honestly, I didn't obsess over small geometry or tubing details, I figure that's their gig. I found out after the fact Roland gave me an oversize main triangle, for example, or that Paul decided to go with his cyclocross chainstays on my road frame.

In both instances, we had some pretty in-depth conversations about what I wanted from the bike, what I rode that I liked, what I rode that I hated, and why. That included everything from features on the frame (tire clearance, fender mounts, etc) to how the bike rode and the feeling on it. That convo also included stuff they had no interest in doing or building, and steering me away from stupid ideas. Paul, for example, was pretty clear that BB30 is butt. Eric at Winter Bicycles steered me away (pun intended) from a stupid handlebar sizing on my custom stem. Mostly I just got outta the way and let them do what they do best.

Generally, I'd say have those conversations, and if you're not 100% comfortable with the builder, time to hit the bricks and find someone who you do click with. It's kinda like dating, I guess.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Two custom frames for me and one custom stem, all fantastic experiences.

My Della Santa, Roland predicted nearly to the exact day my frame would be in hand. My Rock Lobster, Paul ran over his initial estimate a bit for completion timing, but was open and up front about when it would arrive.

Honestly, I didn't obsess over small geometry or tubing details, I figure that's their gig. I found out after the fact Roland gave me an oversize main triangle, for example, or that Paul decided to go with his cyclocross chainstays on my road frame.

In both instances, we had some pretty in-depth conversations about what I wanted from the bike, what I rode that I liked, what I rode that I hated, and why. That included everything from features on the frame (tire clearance, fender mounts, etc) to how the bike rode and the feeling on it. That convo also included stuff they had no interest in doing or building, and steering me away from stupid ideas. Paul, for example, was pretty clear that BB30 is butt. Eric at Winter Bicycles steered me away (pun intended) from a stupid handlebar sizing on my custom stem. Mostly I just got outta the way and let them do what they do best.

Generally, I'd say have those conversations, and if you're not 100% comfortable with the builder, time to hit the bricks and find someone who you do click with. It's kinda like dating, I guess.
Thanks for the tips. And yeah, come to think of it, it is like dating - part in-person speed-dating at the shows, part on-line dating... And I'll stop the analogy there.

Funny you mention Paul too - Rock Lobster has been my plan for at least a year for my first true custom - his was my first steel roadie and I've never lost my affinity... Who knows, maybe I need a race bike from Paul and this all-roader from Mark

Last edited by Clean39T; 08-17-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:58 AM

I had the pleasure of being next to Mahall at the Portland Handmade show in 2015. Great people, and impeccable work. The fact that you've connected with the builder is the big thing about working with a small builder. You like the work, and you like the builder (the REAL product you're buying), so what's holding you back?

Write the check.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Generally, I'd say have those conversations, and if you're not 100% comfortable with the builder, time to hit the bricks and find someone who you do click with.
This, x100. Carl Strong was SOO easy to talk to and seemed to have no other customers than me. Some other builders, just the opposite.

If you're not comfortable calling them up any time to ask them stupid questions, you're not with the right builder.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:33 AM

By the way, Seattle isn't strictly local, but I'd look at Max Kullaway at 333 Fab. he's got a history building for Hampco and his stuff looks pretty cool. Lead times were very short when I was making my final decisions.

I'm not affiliated.

http://333fab.com/
Old 08-18-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
...so what's holding you back?
Nothing is holding me back per se...just waiting to hear what he thinks about the general design parameters I laid out and start talking options. From what he's written on his site, I can't expect anything other than an open door and customer-centered experience. But this is my first rodeo, so I'm looking for types so I don't stumble over my own blind-spots. And the recommendations so far have been solid
Old 08-18-2017, 09:53 AM

I remember when people were complaining that Chris King's Cielo bikes had a 5-year warranty. According to this builder, he has a 2-year warranty on his bikes.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncguy View Post
By the way, Seattle isn't strictly local, but I'd look at Max Kullaway at 333 Fab. he's got a history building for Hampco and his stuff looks pretty cool. Lead times were very short when I was making my final decisions.

I'm not affiliated.

http://333fab.com/
That 333fab "Air Land Sea" looks cool, as does the Rando, but I'm liking the more vintage/classic look of Mahall's work overall...
Old 08-18-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
The fact that you've connected with the builder is the big thing about working with a small builder. You like the work, and you like the builder (the REAL product you're buying), so what's holding you back?
This is the main thing. An anecdotal story: A friend had a frame built here by a local small, "cool" builder. There were some production and quality problems that I would've had a serious issue with, but the friend was thrilled with both the experience and the finished product. He still loves the bike.

He connected with the builder in a way I couldn't see. I suppose that's what really matters.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
I remember when people were complaining that Chris King's Cielo bikes had a 5-year warranty. According to this builder, he has a 2-year warranty on his bikes.
That is interesting. What's the usual for small builders? If a lugged steel bike is going to have issues, will they usually show themselves early? I guess I'd be more concerned on a tig'd dbl-butted ti frame, but that may be my own naivete...
Old 08-18-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
That is interesting. What's the usual for small builders? If a lugged steel bike is going to have issues, will they usually show themselves early? I guess I'd be more concerned on a tig'd dbl-butted ti frame, but that may be my own naivete...
Again, just my own experience, but neither Roland nor Paul (nor Eric for that matter) really discussed a specific warranty period with me, but they're definitely the "make it right" kinda types.

A buddy saw a barely noticeable, super tiny ding just above the rear brake cable guide on the top tube. Really can't even see it outside very specific lighting. I dropped Paul a note about it, he asked me to bring the bike to the local swap meet he'd be at in a couple weeks. Took a look at it, identified it immediately, and said if it developed into something I was unhappy with he'd replace it if need be. (The dimple was caused by a small block used to hold the tubing that he had since replaced.)

Probbaly worth asking about, but if you get the sense he's someone who won't make it right, another reason to hit the bricks. A lot of really solid, dependable, good builders out there, that that kind of drama is completely unnecessary.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:32 PM

It varies. I don't put a specific time frame on my warranties. This is my own statement: I stand behind every Mjolnir Cycles bike frame for the original owner, 100%. If there is ever a problem, I will make it right. But please be aware that steel frames, especially those made from light tubing, do require some maintenance to remain sound. Take care of the bike, and it will last. Neglect it, and I may repair it at your cost.