Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 10:42 PM

A toast to Pete and to civility (as Pete would have wanted)!

Texbike
Old 08-19-2017, 06:22 AM

Another pause for Pete. I think of his unfailing ability to find the positive and express it nobly. The paceline has many writer-riders who try to make his kind of generous contribution to threads, which is much of what makes this an exceptional community. Here's to Pete's spirit, and spirits!
Old 08-19-2017, 06:29 AM
Lanterne rouge

While I was not here at the same time as Pete, I have been across many of his posts. That combined with the views of many esteemed members here says alot. A legacy for sure.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:34 AM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Fuzzalow - Exactly how did either of your posts make a positive contribution to this forum?
Positive contribution? Sure. That as near as I could tell about Pete from this forum is that he never spoke harshly to another member. That he never spoke out to quash an exchange of different ideas between members. That he never took a defensive posture in hearing an opinion that may have differed from his own. That he never became vindictive to whom he had a debate with. That he lived within our midst so that we could witness his actions and attitude first hand. And that we take the good things we have been shown from this and move forwards ourselves.

Quote:
By saying that things have fallen apart since his death?
No, not by saying that things have fallen apart since his death. I am saying Pete set an example.

Anybody that can do what he did is a sign that he was a man of principle. An honorable man. And that we admired him for how he carried himself might establish a standard & goal for how we might do as well for ourselves - to do some of the same, in spirit if not in action, as Pete had done and lived. He showed us.

Talk is cheap; action is hard. Can each of us talk the talk and walk the walk? Like Pete did.

It is not negative to say that the faults and frailty we possess as human give us a reason to aspire and try to behave in a way as we admire in others. Like what we admired in Pete but better because we have now made it our own; his positive example became our positive actions.

Quote:
This thread was to remember our friend, let's stick to that topic please.
I honor his memory with and am grateful for the example of his actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Oh, btw, great word! Even my wife (the lawyer who is brilliant with the English language ) had to look it up.
I don't take anything you said personally, even if you told me to GTFO.

I am sure Mrs. SoCalSteve and I could have a most pleasant conversation. What's this english? We won't speak english language, we'll converse together in JD Coastal Elite.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:25 AM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

My dear friend.....

I miss Pete every day.....he was my best friend.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:09 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
As a previous mod ( Pete asked me ) I will say unequivocally that you are 100% wrong. The mods we have today do a marvelous job of keeping this place running smoothly. It is not an easy job and mostly thankless with no monetary gain whatsoever. I find your remarks insulting and ask that if you are not happy here with the way things are being run, that you move yourself to another cycling forum. Hopefully you will be happier there with the way the mods run things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Fuzzalow - Exactly how did either of your posts make a positive contribution to this forum? By saying that things have fallen apart since his death?
I read Fuzzalow's initial post as a salute to Pete, and his deft balance as both a contributor and moderator, often simultaneously in the same post.

I believe the current state of the forum has a higher noise ratio than at any other time in the past ten years. we have more personal attacks. more locked threads. more people encountering classified difficulty.

Moderating a forum can take many forms...calling out a policy violation, reinforcing where the guardrails are for a given discussion, or as Pete had often done, both contributed and steered at the same time.

No one else but Pete could walk into the middle of a gun battle and minutes later have everyone over his place for a glass of RED.

Fuzzalow, acknowledged Pete's contributions, and lamented that the forum does not currently enjoy that level of decorum he brought. I did NOT read this as an insult to current mods, a lambasting of our forum, or an insult to anyone. Rather, it is a salute to Pete and his great contribution. Should the mods be more like Pete? No, that is not the suggestion. Pete was Pete. Irreplaceable.

You both took offense to Fuzzalow comments. That is a reminder to me that anything typed about non-bike feelings or opinions is easily subject to varied interpretation, sometimes 180d from the intent that others (me read).

Imagine if the response to Fuzzalow asked - hey, what did you mean by all that. it seems like you are insulting the [insert here] then I think the conversation continues by him giving a thoughtful and considered reply (as he has done).

But when the gauntlet gets thrown down that "maybe you should move to another forum" then suddenly we are toe to toe with heart rate rising. was that the intent? I think not. Where did the opportunity for discourse go? now one side is hurling hand grenades and the other side was thinking they gave a compliment.

I think of the forum in eras...the kahuna era, the post v-salon split era, the end of serotta forum/beginning of paceline era, and the post-Pete era. Thats why I saw Fuzzalow saying things aint the same with out Pete around (to no fault of the current moderators).

Frankly, I think we are at a low point. The depth of discourse is not what it used to be whether the subject is nine tubes and two hoops or OT. Having said that, all I can do is look in my mirror and hold myself to a standard such that when I contribute, it is in the form that enables the type of community I would like.

We are lucky Pete shared his time and himself with this place. I did have the opty to exchange PMs with him over the years, and as is often the case, realize more the depth of his contribution as time passes.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:35 PM

Here's to Pete, privileged to have met him at NAHBS
Old 08-19-2017, 12:37 PM

All the best Pete!
Old 08-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Pdmtong -

While I may agree with much of what you said, there is a significant issue with one of your comments.

Fuzzalow is not now, nor has he ever been a moderator. Generally, his "I am the sharpest tool in the drawer" attitude/comments serve only to increase the level of strife here rather than to reduce it.

We are working hard to limit the personal conflicts. Classified issues are beyond our control.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:10 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Pdmtong -While I may agree with much of what you said, there is a significant issue with one of your comments. Fuzzalow is not now, nor has he ever been a moderator. Generally, his "I am the sharpest tool in the drawer" attitude/comments serve only to increase the level of strife here rather than to reduce it. We are working hard to limit the personal conflicts. Classified issues are beyond our control. BK
Hi Bruce. I'm aware the Fuzz was not and is not a moderator. My comments about his posts reflect how I interpreted his comments which generally I find to be nuanced and at times stylistically blunt, but on point and not personal.

Back to Pete...I had some questions about Serotta back when I first joined - the kind like when you are a kid in class and afraid to raise your hand because you feel like everyone else knows the answer AND you don't want to be revealed as dumb. I reached out to Pete and what then ensued was a vibrant exchange, followed by a phone conversation with him and the next thing I know he is offering to let me ride one of his bikes, and, you guessed it, talking about having some RED. Here was a guy who reached out to anyone with open arms, made you feel included, and loved riding his bike. I recall him readying for a big Colorado ride he did towards the end. Maybe on a Parlee not a serotta? I can't quite remember. and that once a year cycling camp he did out our way near santa barbara? Pete was a real forum treasure.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

One of his big Colorado rides was with me at Copper Triangle. On that one he rode one of his Serottas (an Ottrott or Legend I think) as did I (my DPF logo'd Meivici).

He did do a Ride the Rockies as well.

Pete was a man among men. I have never known a more generous, welcoming human being. He us one I miss every day, even though most of our connections were by phone or internet.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:16 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
One of his big Colorado rides was with me at Copper Triangle. On that one he rode one of his Serottas (an Ottrott or Legend I think) as did I (my DPF logo'd Meivici).

He did do a Ride the Rockies as well.

Pete was a man among men. I have never known a more generous, welcoming human being. He us one I miss every day, even though most of our connections were by phone or internet.

BK

That's the one. The copper triangle. I couldn't recall the details but remember how much he was looking forward to it. Funny how that stayed in my brain but I can't recall what my wife asked me to do.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
I rode the Copper Triangle route with Bradford during Ride the Rockies this year. The Copper Triangle was what brought me to the forum and my friendship with Pete, Bruce K, and Bradford, as we rode together that week. I thought of him at every turn. RIP, my friend.
In light of the rides that Bruce K and PDMTong mentioned, I resurrect this posting and raise a glass to Pete and all of the friends I've made on this forum.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:28 PM

Tailwinds, Pete.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:45 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

RIP Pete

Tags
fuzz trolled, it's all about fuzz