Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Hard to believe another year has gone by. He is missed. A red toast from me this weekend too.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Wherever you are Pete, may your glass never run out.

William
Old 08-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for reminding us Keith.

I never met Pete but he's one of those people I wish I had met before he left us. His posts were always kind and thoughtful.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:28 PM

I'll raise a glass to him tonight.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I'll raise a glass to him tonight.
As will I......
Old 08-18-2017, 02:45 PM

This a great excuse to drink a nice red--------------as if I really need an excuse. He was one of my best pals that I never met.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:10 PM
It An't Me Babe

I never met Pete in real life. I know of him from what I read and witnessed of his influence here on this forum. He was the adult in the room. Always reserved, self effacing and in command of the eddies and cross currents of topics that flow in this forum. He was the steadying hand.

I think it is nice people revere Pete and what he had done for this forum. And yet, no one has picked up to continue a sage influence to this forum in his stead - and this forum suffers for that to this day as the result. But maybe that's just too much to ask because a lotta this was just Pete being Pete. Group chemistry is a fragile thing. This is the internet, the mob is never far away. I know Pete understood this.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
As will I......
I'll join in that. Red tonight for Pete!

Pete was always cordial, and a welcome addition to the conversations here.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
I never met Pete in real life. I know of him from what I read and witnessed of his influence here on this forum. He was the adult in the room. Always reserved, self effacing and in command of the eddies and cross currents of topics that flow in this forum. He was the steadying hand.

I think it is nice people revere Pete and what he had done for this forum. And yet, no one has picked up to continue a sage influence to this forum in his stead - and this forum suffers for that to this day as the result. But maybe that's just too much to ask because a lotta this was just Pete being Pete. Group chemistry is a fragile thing. This is the internet, the mob is never far away. I know Pete understood this.
As a previous mod ( Pete asked me ) I will say unequivocally that you are 100% wrong. The mods we have today do a marvelous job of keeping this place running smoothly.

It is not an easy job and mostly thankless with no monetary gain whatsoever.

I find your remarks insulting and ask that if you are not happy here with the way things are being run, that you move yourself to another cycling forum. Hopefully you will be happier there with the way the mods run things.

On this sad occasion, the passing of Pete 3 years ago, let's make this a positive thread, a joyous thread, a memorable thread. One to remember Pete by fondly.

A thread that Pete would not have had to weigh in on.

Getting off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening.

Steve

Last edited by SoCalSteve; 08-18-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:49 PM

I miss him, too. I met him a long time ago, at a bike camp in Tuscany with Davis Phinney and Connie Carpenter. Guest host, Ben Serotta. We got on like a house on fire. The two years I taught summer school down at Duke, he and Linda let me stay st their house. He raised two fine daughters. Had great labs. Was just a good soul.

I am richer for having had him as a friend.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

I will never forget Pete esp at the Finger Lakes Ramble back when Dr Brooks was with us. Friendship is long, the internet is short. This place still seems civilized to me, particularly these dark days.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:53 PM

Cheers to you, Pete.

Here's to a good soul where a small, gracious portion lives on here.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:02 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
As a previous mod ( Pete asked me ) I will say unequivocally that you are 100% wrong. The mods we have today do a marvelous job of keeping this place running smoothly.

It is not an easy job and mostly thankless with no monetary gain whatsoever.

I find your remarks insulting and ask that if you are not happy here with the way things are being run, that you move yourself to another cycling forum. Hopefully you will be happier there with the way the mods run things.

On this sad occasion, the passing of Pete 3 years ago, let's make this a positive thread, a joyous thread, a memorable thread. One to remember Pete by fondly.

A thread that Pete would not have had to weigh in on.

Getting off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening.

Steve
That was quite a response.

I am more than happy to have a meaningful public discussion with you outside this thread.

You are grossly incorrect in your attempt to spin my post as in any way a slight on Pete. It was however a critical look at us and how we have wandered from the civility and mutual respect that was exemplified by Pete and long a hallmark of this forum. An example of how we have fallen is to look no further than your own response here to me.

My goodness me, would Pete have responded to my post in the vituperative manner that you have? You claim so boldly to honor his memory and yet you completely miss the point of carrying on in spirit as Pete had done. As a gentleman.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
That was quite a response.

I am more than happy to have a meaningful public discussion with you outside this thread.

You are grossly incorrect in your attempt to spin my post as in any way a slight on Pete. It was however a critical look at us and how we have wandered from the civility and mutual respect that was exemplified by Pete and long a hallmark of this forum. An example of how we have fallen is to look no further than your own response here to me.

My goodness me, would Pete have responded to my post in the vituperative manner that you have? You claim so boldly to honor his memory and yet you completely miss the point of carrying on in spirit as Pete had done. As a gentleman.
Well, you seriously missed the entire point of my posting.

In the end, if you are not happy here with the way things are run by our mods or feel that there is not enough civility or mutual respect among the forum members, then I am sure you moving on to a different cycling forum would make you much happier.

And, I think it will make all of us happier as well.

Good luck!

Oh, btw, great word! Even my wife (the lawyer who is brilliant with the English language ) had to look it up.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Fuzzalow - Exactly how did either of your posts make a positive contribution to this forum? By saying that things have fallen apart since his death?

This thread was to remember our friend, let's stick to that topic please.

Tags
fuzz trolled, it's all about fuzz