Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2013, 10:43 PM

Following Angry's Photo PSA suggestion,

Epic fail!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:05 PM

holy god, that Ellis
Old 03-09-2013, 11:14 PM

but i partially disagree with the "cross bikes are for racing" comment. partially, because, yes, obviously, a "real" cross bike is designed for racing. but i have a race-bred cross bike and have been using it as a commuter, long-er ride road bike (≈50-70 mi) and, honestly, it's the best bike i've ever had for those purposes. yes, i take it on lighter single track/cross-able trails, and it really excels at that, but it is very awesome at the other uses.

besides, not everyone can have three Ellis bikes.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:10 AM

We are leaving in a little bit for a ride down in Forestville, MN which is near Lanesboro and Spring Valley. This is home to the Almanzo 100. We are going to try to ride 45 miles of the route this morning. Might be a nightmare as we had solid rain near the area yesterday on top of the icy gravel roads.

Should be total folly, as there is a winter storm warning posted. Four to eight inches of new snow are predicted. Most of the guys are bringing their Pugsleys and what nots.

I'm bringing my Fargo today.

Bring it on....

Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
Oh NO!!! no you don't! No chance!

I've ridden up the wall to many times when I lived in Peachtree corners! 6 gap, Brasstown bald, and a rando event called 10 gap. VERY HARD!

I'll wait for you guys to get back. I'm a FAT guy and not built to do that shi....errrr stuff any more. Geoff is from Co. and maybe he will handle it, maybe not as well. Those rides are Tripple Bypass hard, Death ride hard!

I watched the pros have to get pushed up the wall in the tour of Ga.

HECK NO!

Just let me know when. I can walk up hills as well as anybody you have ever meet!
My cabin is in the other North Ga. mountains, plenty of rolling hill rides available and one easy mountain if you feel up to it.

But hey, I also have a place in Atlanta, so we can do that too.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Thanks to both ergott and fourflys. Went from Touring cantis to the TRP Vs. Like the better braking but the clearance tolerance is quite snug. Thought perhaps the MiniMotos might offer a touch more clearance.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
I rode D2R2 on a touring bike in 2010 with Dave Wages and a friend of his, and pretty early into the ride it was obvious that I had too much bike for such an event. So afterward I talked to Dave about building something with all of the conveniences of a road group, specifically Di2 with DA road brake calipers; he suggested XL tubes, a stretched chainstays, more BB drop and a bit of extra trail. I requested clearance for a 28mm tire, maximum, and couplers.

The Parigi-Roubaixs I have mounted measure close to 30mm, and with the pads at their maximum reach in the caliper slots, there's still plenty of clearance. The bike rides pretty much like a normal road bike, but the longer stays, slacker HTA and added rake make it feel bigger and more stable. I am happy that I don't have weird gearing or (especially) cantilever brakes. Even in the **** DA brakes are fine.

If I were looking to have another mixed surfaces road bike built, I'd look to those builders who like to ride those kinds of roads and make a habit of doing it. Dave Wages, who participates in multiple gravel road centuries every year, Dave Kirk (do they even have pavement in Montana?) and Carl Strong, who has been building his "dirt road bikes" for years and years--those are a few of the best.

Chris--

Oh, and 'cross bikes are for racing.

Okay, your Ellis is the most beautiful bike I have ever seen...stunningly sublime. Chapeau, good sir.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM

please, for the love of god, put some classier looking cranks on there, though.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
While I agree with that article, I find it funny they used a Full Tilt Boogie as their example... Unless they changed from when they first came out, the FTB doesn't have water bottle bosses or any braze-ones...
Some do. Some don't. Mine doesn't have bosses, but I've seen a few that do.

Quote:
I do agree a cross or gravel bike is the bike to have if you could only own one bike though... Not that I ever want to be in that situation!
I'm fixin to ride my FTB for another 3hrs today. Either with a buddy on some gravel roads or without on the road. Toss some knobbies on it and its most of a mtn bike. Toss some aero wheels on it and its most of a road bike.

...or maybe I'll take the Crosshairs. I haven't ridden it in a while now.

Either way, CX bikes AREN'T just for racing.

M
Old 03-10-2013, 09:36 AM

For spendthrifts, just needs the correct tires.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:01 AM

Cheap and ugly but gets the job done.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:08 AM

My bike got a bit dirty - ahh Montana riding at its finest.

dave

Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaced_ghost View Post
yes, i take it on lighter single track/cross-able trails, and it really excels at that, but it is very awesome at the other uses..
True, I was only having a bit of fun. I used to ride with a guy who owned a single bike, a custom 'cross bike, and he did everything with it. He wouldn't ride with clinchers, either, only tubulars. And his belief in 'cross bikes as the best bike for any type of riding didn't really slow him down.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:15 AM

o man, that Kirk is so excellent. nice work, Dave
Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Byron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
I just spilled my drink. Hurt me...that is awesome.
That is a very nice looking gravel bike, and just my size I think.