Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 03:08 PM

Definitely not cool. The owner of the shop should be made aware of this.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:11 PM

Why?
- Shop tech/mechanic following orders : Because he/she is told to sticker all bikes that come through shop. Wants to keep job.
- Shop owner/manager : Because it is very targeted advertising for almost no cost (cost of the sticker).

Either way altering bike other than components associated with agreed repair/service is not acceptable without permission from the customer. Owner/manager should get a complaint call or visit.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:15 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

That was the kind of sticker that was removed (team mechanic's business) - saying who regularly preps/services the bike.

The shop decal is removed and a new one replacing the original is going back on shortly.

It just seemed really odd and kind of ***

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
It just seemed really odd and kind of ***
agreed. lame p*ssing contest for no reason. I'd for sure make the shop aware that you're not happy and won't return for more service.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:42 PM

Very Douchey move on their part, would not be happy.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:24 PM
needs adult supervision

If the shop wanted some advertising, a far cooler move and one more likely to have a positive impact would have been to return the bike after service with a free shop water bottle in one of the bike's cages.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Cyclist takes his bike into an LBS for minor repairs while traveling.

When he picks it up they have removed the decal/logo of a team sponsor shop from the chain stay and replaced it with their own.

I can't for the life of me understand why any LBS would do something like that without the cyclist/owner's permission.

Thoughts?

BK
As a shop owner and lbs veteran, I can't either. That person ought to get canned. I didn't even change things like a crooked or uneven levers w/o talking to owner.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
As a shop owner and lbs veteran, I can't either. That person ought to get canned. I didn't even change things like a crooked or uneven levers w/o talking to owner.
Exactly. Saddle off center? NEVER touch them. Call customer or ask when they pick up the bike. No way, no how, do I EVER take anything off or put anything on any customers bike without having a specific conversation about the change.

One time, a guy in a local shop did things like that and a rider found out that the shop had sold his Nuovo Record derailleur and replaced it with a new one. Using a customer's bike as stock to sell? Ugh, that's low.

Last edited by bikinchris; 08-20-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
If the shop wanted some advertising, a far cooler move and one more likely to have a positive impact would have been to return the bike after service with a free shop water bottle in one of the bike's cages.
Yep.......give stellar service and put a bottle in the cage and make the owner WANT to put their sticker on the bike. Instead they turned the bike owner off having the direct opposite of the desired effect.

dave
Old 08-18-2017, 06:50 PM

I would have LOST MY MIND with that kind of move, and there would have been words - polite ones to start, then escalating to loud, vulgar ones depending how the issue was handled.

I remove all dealer advertising from my cars because no one compensates me for the ad. Want your decal on my trunk lid? Drop the price by a few Gs and we can discuss.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:49 PM

Shops that do that, suck.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Yep.......give stellar service and put a bottle in the cage and make the owner WANT to put their sticker on the bike. Instead they turned the bike owner off having the direct opposite of the desired effect.

dave
I've done that, given a guy my water bottle if the bike had a 'competitors' bottle on the bike..but I gave the other bottle back...
Old 08-19-2017, 09:41 AM

One thing to add sticker( though still a wanker mover ), another thing completely to remove an existing sticker. Definately a douche move
Old 08-19-2017, 10:59 AM

Why would a shop do this?

Charge them an advertising fee. Say the previous shop was paying $500 per season to have their sticker on the bike. Either pay me $1000 ($500 for advertising your sticker and the $500 I will have to refund the other shop) or put the old sticker back.

But, yeah, I'd be pissed. When I buy cars or bikes, I tell the dealers I will not accept delivery if there is a dealer sticker on the car/bike (unless they agree to pay me to advertise their dealership, which they never do).

Last edited by Dracarys; 08-19-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
This

I tried that 'fix it, it ain't right!' thing a LONG time ago when I was a newer wrench. Got kvetched at by a customer for it. Stopped that immediately.

Bike comes in one way. Leaves cleaned, lubed, adjusted, but otherwise the same way.

M