Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 02:56 PM

Scheduling conflict for me this year. You and me next year, Tim
Old 08-15-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
ROLL CALL: Who's in?
I'm in. Doing the 160K (which I've done before). Last year I tried the Mystery Ride and like many of us ended up hoofing it on foot way too much. The Specialized Crux Elite was no match for the wet/mud/boulder-strewn forest roads. Then on East Rd around mile 59, I broke a spoke and was forced to abandon.

So this year I'm looking forward to a more familiar route, one that I hope to finish!
Old 08-15-2017, 07:16 AM
ZhugeLiang

Have a great time, pals!

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it this year, I will miss seeing many of my pals here, those that I have already met and those I haven't.

I have only done this ride twice over the years, both times the 100k and it's just the right amount of riding that I want to do for this type of terrain, I have got nothing to prove. The part that I enjoyed the most about D2R2 is the people, the camaraderie, the quiet New England roads and scenery. As such, I like to take it "slow", slow enough to smell the flowers, so to speak, stop and chat with strangers, take pictures, linger a bit at the rest stops...I mean, I have the whole day to myself, away from family, what's the rush? I stopped agonizing over my equipment - just make sure I have got low enough gears (compact, 11-34) and a decent set of tires (35mm panaracer pasela) and I am good to go.

To my pals who are doing the ride this year, have a safe ride and a blast!

If you are still sitting by the fence, check out last year's thread and the fun we all had:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...=189664&page=5

Last year's gang:
From left, Ms PaMtbRider, Mr PaMtbRider, Sparky, Hilltopperny, Angry, BBDave, Xeladragon, me.

Last edited by weisan; 08-15-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
I have only done this ride twice over the years, both times the 100k and it's just the right amount of riding that I want to do for this type of terrain, I have got nothing to prove. The part that I enjoyed the most about D2R2 is the people, the camaraderie, the quiet New England roads and scenery. As such, I like to take it "slow", slow enough to smell the flowers, so to speak, stop and chat with strangers, take pictures, linger a bit at the rest stops...I mean, I have the whole day to myself, away from family, what's the rush? I stopped agonizing over my equipment - just make sure I have got low enough gears (compact, 11-34) and a decent set of tires (35mm panaracer pasela) and I am good to go.
Gee, sounds like the perfect way to ride Franklin County.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadRides View Post
I'm in. Doing the 160K (which I've done before). Last year I tried the Mystery Ride and like many of us ended up hoofing it on foot way too much. The Specialized Crux Elite was no match for the wet/mud/boulder-strewn forest roads. Then on East Rd around mile 59, I broke a spoke and was forced to abandon.

So this year I'm looking forward to a more familiar route, one that I hope to finish!
Did the Mystery Ride last year and completely agree regarding the hoofing it, especially since we missed a turn and ended up climbing an extra mile up a mud wall with our bikes on our backs. Was signed up for the 180, but my ride partner and I switched down to the 100 km since we haven't had squat for training time this year.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:57 PM

Edit.

Last edited by 4Rings6Stars; 08-18-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:21 PM

I'm doing the 100k this year with absolutely no training so it should be quite an adventure (my two year old somehow meant almost no biking for me this year). This will be my 7th time in the last 8 years - I love it - everyone is super nice and there is a great vibe. Maybe I will see some of you this year - look for the really slow guy on an older specialized roubaix with an open pave on the front and continental four seasons on the back.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:23 PM

Had a lot of fun suffering through the 100k last year. Not going to make it this year, but am going to try and get some more miles in by next year and be ready for it. Wish you all the best tomorrow!
Old 08-19-2017, 06:11 PM
Head to Ned

Another great day on the Franklin County (and beyond) dirt and hills! I don't know what Sandy's secret weather weapon is but his luck is now 13 years straight without rain

Last edited by witcombusa; 08-20-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:50 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Another great day on the Franklin County (and beyond) dirt and hills! I don't know what Sandy's secret weather weapon in but his luck is now 13 years straight without rain
It's called Global Warming.

Glad you had a good time, wit pal.

I am eagerly awaiting for others to chime in with their ride reports and pictures...
Old 08-19-2017, 06:52 PM
aka mbrt

Second time for me..100K ...it was great. Deerfield is a beautiful spot in this world.

Ray
Old 08-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Shifty Member

100k was beautiful this year. Heat plus huge lack of training made for a very crampy day. Also managed to get bit by a dog on the of the biggest climbs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2017, 07:20 AM

Was awesome, as always. I did suffer a lot on East Rd climb, I think, overheating and feeling like my head was going to burst.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:42 AM

The best road conditions in the 5 years i have been riding it. Another amazing year. Thanks all.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:44 AM

Good seeing Nick. And am looking forward to ride reno2cino with him in a few weeks. My buddy had a hell of a day and made the best of it. At mile 5 he tore his RD off his bike. He made it back to the start with the aid of others. Got a cannondale demo bike and rode it via green river to the lunch spot. From there he completed the 180k with me. The kicker was just before Patten Hill Rd he got stung by a bee on the bottom lip. He looked like he was trying to kiss me for the rest of the ride.

Great ride. Took it easy. My average HR was in the active recovery zone. What a blast.

Last edited by joosttx; 08-20-2017 at 09:20 AM.