Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Was going to suggest Phil Wood. Buddy just renovated his old Klein and got a BB blank from them and machined it down to correct size to fit.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Hi folks,

I commute on an old steel Fisher MTB with the 'cool' press-in bearings and axle, like similar Merlins and Fat Chances of the day. About one year ago, the bearings seemed loose, so my LBS with a very good mechanic (who has been around since this vintage of bike) popped out the bearings, and reinstalled new ones - all done.

A year later, I notice theyre wobbling again, so took the bike to a shop nearby to my work with another excellent mechanic. He said that it was a flawed design that really couldn't be fixed. I just asked him to reinstall with lots of Loc-tite and do his best. The wobble is now back.

SO, I heard that Velo Orange makes a BB for threadless or damaged shells and it seems that it wont work on this type of frame. With this information, can anyone advise another option for resolving the case of the loosening crankset? It is a great commuter, but pretty trashed, so I am not keen on any expensive solutions (the $70 VO BB was pushing it, but if it worked perfectly, I might've done it!)

I know Mavic BB's might work, but any other thoughts? The BB spindle is massive - about 130mm long, FYI.

Thanks for any advice...
Instead of throwing more $ at this 'trashed' commuter, maybe time for a new/used commuter frame..This design is/was/always has been problematic.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 AM

Loctite 660 is designed to seat bearing in races that are worn out, I would only do this in a frame I did not care about long term as it is difficult to get out later, you can use heat, but it is tricky. It will fill a .02" gap, which is pretty big. It has worked for me in other mechanical applications a number of times similar to a BB, but I have not used for this exact issue.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Instead of throwing more $ at this 'trashed' commuter, maybe time for a new/used commuter frame..This design is/was/always has been problematic.
Yes, Peter, this is a consideration. The bike actually runs perfectly well with the exception of the BB. 25yr old Deore parts still click precisely over the gears! I have a 'nice' commuter, but I like this one because I can lock it up without concern for its safety.

That said, I don't think a $100 Phil Wood spindle is warranted for the bike. I spoke to another experienced mechanic last night on the way home from work last night and he said he thought the bearing was shot (maybe due to excessive play) but he told me that riding it wont kill it any worse than it is now.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrudoff View Post
Loctite 660 is designed to seat bearing in races that are worn out, I would only do this in a frame I did not care about long term as it is difficult to get out later, you can use heat, but it is tricky. It will fill a .02" gap, which is pretty big. It has worked for me in other mechanical applications a number of times similar to a BB, but I have not used for this exact issue.
I've used this Loctite product on wobbly headsets and trailer bearings, thanks to a recommendation here. It should work for your bb, if there is play between the outer bearing surface and the I.d. of the bottom bracket. You've got to move fast tho, it sets up quickly.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Yes, Peter, this is a consideration. The bike actually runs perfectly well with the exception of the BB. 25yr old Deore parts still click precisely over the gears! I have a 'nice' commuter, but I like this one because I can lock it up without concern for its safety.

That said, I don't think a $100 Phil Wood spindle is warranted for the bike. I spoke to another experienced mechanic last night on the way home from work last night and he said he thought the bearing was shot (maybe due to excessive play) but he told me that riding it wont kill it any worse than it is now.
Ifair enough. it could certainly be the shoulders of the spindle but also could be the fact that it's a commuter and that wonky design. Maybe a year is all you get out of a set of bearings. Whatever works...