Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Rim for supercross bike, cross or MTB?

Thinking about a Easton Arc 24 for a disc gravel bike (they are on a sick sale from the UK, got a pair of the Easton Arc 27s for my MTB and it was $90 shipped for the pair). That got me thinking about a 24mm interior measured rim for my incoming gravel bike. Anyone know what sort of pressure you can put on this type of MTB designed rim. My bike will have room for big tires (42mm minimum, likely clear 45mm) and I can't imagine ever running smaller than say a 38mm or so, that's what road bikes are for. But if I had a large slick tire and was riding on the road, how high can I bring the pressure up?

Is this the wrong rim for the job, should I stick with a Head Belgium Plus or a Pacenti SL25 or TL 28?

What are folks running for disk gravel/supercross bikes?

Edit: Here's the link, $49+ each, added two $.99 bar plugs to get over $100, got free shipping and $10 off with a new email address.

Edit II: Today's coupon is $15 off $125 of clearance stuff, still free shipping.

Last edited by DRZRM; 03-21-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:07 AM

This should clear things up:

https://www.eastoncycling.com/media/...20pressure.pdf

Looks like you can do ~70 psi in a 37mm tire (more than most folks probably would ever want to run) for that rim.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:26 PM

Supercross bike? I'm confused.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Yeah, I deserved that, I guess the kids are calling them monstercross? Huh? Gravel bike with big clearance.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:15 AM

This is the same conundrum that I have encountered. I recently sold my CX wheels with Iron Cross rims because, while light, they couldn't hold road bike tire pressures. I wanted the option to ride both. I ended up getting a set of those Hope 20Five wheels from Merlin Cycles for a crazy cheap price and they are rated up to 110PSI or something like that. Plus I like Hope hubs .

I wouldn't use the Arc24s for high pressure purposes. I think the industry standard is HED Belgium (I have these on my rim braked bike and they feel very nice and solid) or the SL25s.

Cant wait to see the new build!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:50 AM

Another consideration is the Boyd Altamont rim. It's very nice and strikes a balance between the HED Belgium and Belgium+. The set I recently had built, built up nicely. The Altamont lite is 435 grams, 19.86mm inner and 24mm outer with welded seams.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 PM

I'm not sure why people are worried about this- if the pressure chart is to be believed it will be fine. I'm running Pacenti CL25s which are a light 29er rim with 28c Gravelkings at 70 psi and it's no problem. I don't think there's any need to get new rims if you plan to keep low pressure in big tires.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:24 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Yeah, 72 psi on a 38 would likely work fine, and I'll rarely be running a slick on the road. Hmm, interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
I'm not sure why people are worried about this- if the pressure chart is to be believed it will be fine. I'm running Pacenti CL25s which are a light 29er rim with 28c Gravelkings at 70 psi and it's no problem. I don't think there's any need to get new rims if you plan to keep low pressure in big tires.