Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2016, 08:19 AM

Most people can't draw a proper bicycle.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/35437979/Velocipedia

The renderings look really cool though.

Quote:
Fun facts:

Some diversities are gender driven. Nearly 90% of drawings in which the chain is attached to the front wheel (or both to the front and the rear) were made by females. On the other hand, while men generally tend to place the chain correctly, they are more keen to over-complicate the frame when they realize they are not drawing it correctly.

One of the most frequent issues for participants was not knowing exactly how to describe their job in short.

The most unintelligible drawing has also the most unintelligible handwriting. It was made by a doctor.
Example:

Last edited by tuxbailey; 04-15-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:32 AM

Haha! These are great! Both drawings and rendering should be displayed somewhere publicly.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:40 AM
Everything is connected

Cuts weight by removing the chain stays and relying on the chain to hold things together...an automatic tensioner too for the SS and fixie crowd.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:42 AM

these are crazy! looks like they had fun. would be nice to have the time/money to just build that crap for no real reason. oh i mean art
Old 04-15-2016, 08:46 AM

I love the renderings. Makes the scribbles look really legit. I'd love to see some of these in cameo shots in CGI type movies. Or in real, for that matter.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:49 AM

These are great, I laughed hard thanks for posting!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Decrepit Member

This reminds me of the road.cc article that appeared a couple of years ago when a cognitive psychologist asked non-cyclists and cyclists to draw a bicycle and published the results.

Hilarious.

The Science of Cycology: can you draw a bicycle? | road.cc, August 25, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Lawson
In 2002, Leonid Rozenblit and Frank Keil argued that, in particular, we overestimate our ability to explain how things work - whether artefacts like greenhouses and bicycles, or natural phenomena like tides and rainbows. They suggested that this illusion of explanatory depth is especially severe for objects with visible parts. Rozenblit and Keil's conclusions were based only on people's self-ratings of the quality of their explanations. I wanted to extend their work to measure how accurate people's explanations really are, to see how well people understand how everyday objects work. The bicycle is an obvious choice to test this.

Firstly, bicycles are familiar objects even for non-cyclists. I have given the test to over 200 students and parents coming to Open Days at the University. Over 96% had learnt to cycle as children with a further 1.5% learning as adults and less than 3% never having learned. Also 52% of this group owned a bicycle. Sadly, the figures on actual cycling were low, with just 1% cycling most days, 4% cycling around once a week and 9% cycling about once a month. The vast majority either never cycle (52%) or rarely do so (33%). Nevertheless, even for these non-cyclists, bicycles are a common sight. Secondly, if Rozenblit and Keil are correct, people should greatly over-estimate their understanding of how bicycles work because bicycle parts are visible and they seem to be simple, mechanical devices.