Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2016, 01:11 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
W/O getting deep into it, bags often because a frame maker buys a slew of 5800 groups, they all come in bags, and resells a bunch on the interweb. At OEM prices, they are really cheap..so really cheap to buy. Boxes sometimes make the shipment really big when compared to 2000 rear ders crammed into one box.
yessir...I know that. Just making Fuzz pal feel all special and fuzzy.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:01 PM

Old 09-17-2016, 03:00 PM

Paging Peter B-- more shots of the frame w/ track ends please.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
Paging Peter B-- more shots of the frame w/ track ends please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zullo9.jpg (41.8 KB, 399 views)
Old 09-17-2016, 04:02 PM

Pads for Campy Shamal Milles.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:12 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
I will prioritize putting a SRM onto the bike before getting into Boras. I'd take this approach because I value greater control over the work effort put into the ride versus maximizing the speed results gotten out of the bike. Also that I can't/don't want to proliferate bikes, the F8 that this is going on could well end up being a kitchen sink bike just from it being the only one to hang baubles on.

But I won't proceed with either the SRM or the Boras until I know I can dial in the fit & position on this stock frame after riding custom geometries for the last 10 years. That's always the worry 'cos a racebike will get minimum sized right to the limit of hitting the numbers I need but until I put miles on the frame I can't know where the unique fit & position balance point in that frame will be. Getting it wrong, as far as buying the right size frame, can be a very expensive mistake.

But I think I know what I'm doing and soon I'll get to find out if I am right.

Didn't know you had already crossed the electron divide. Other than a preconceived philosophical aversion to battery shifting on a bike, what's not to like?
Fuzz...yes great plan. Hope you can dial the fit and will look forward to your impressions of the Pina.

Worse case. someone will want that super bike. Keep Sarto on your radar. Italian, they will do custom carbon, and you can elect a regular threaded BB shell if you want!

I crossed the electron divide maybe 4-5 years ago when I spent the day doing a real ride on a Di2 Tarmac up/down/rolling it was great. Recently I spent the day on my friend's eTAP C60. another great choice. I've only "ridden" EPS on a trainer and at the LBS. I like the way the e version mirrors the mech version. each system has +/- but in the end, the only thing stopping me from electrons is the next bike. the current ones are metal and C10 R10 or C11. no reason to convert those and ruin the aesthetic with empty cable stops.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:41 AM

Ribble

I had a great experience with Ribble Cycles in the UK. I received my new drive train exactly 7 days after I ordered it. Also, I sent an email and they responded quickly. This is the second time I've had a good experience and a great price.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:03 AM

Got lucky and managed to get a used Chris King hub tool off craigslist today.

Just transferred the internals from a 32H shell to a 28H in minutes.

These things rock!

Old 09-19-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
W/O getting deep into it, bags often because a frame maker buys a slew of 5800 groups, they all come in bags, and resells a bunch on the interweb. At OEM prices, they are really cheap..so really cheap to buy. Boxes sometimes make the shipment really big when compared to 2000 rear ders crammed into one box.

Yes, and Campagnolo has always shipped their oem groups in the full individual retail boxes (at least in Europe). Seems like they are changing that now. This is actually a good thing. A few years ago I was in Belgium at a fairly large bike manufacteurer. Their dumpsters were overflowing with 1000's of those glossy expensive environmentally bad boxes. The plant manager commented that it was a problem managing so much unneeded trash.
My guess is that in the future, no one will get the fancy packaging when buying Campag from the UK on line shops.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Yes, and Campagnolo has always shipped their oem groups in the full individual retail boxes (at least in Europe). Seems like they are changing that now. This is actually a good thing. A few years ago I was in Belgium at a fairly large bike manufacteurer. Their dumpsters were overflowing with 1000's of those glossy expensive environmentally bad boxes. The plant manager commented that it was a problem managing so much unneeded trash.
My guess is that in the future, no one will get the fancy packaging when buying Campag from the UK on line shops.
Campagnolo is slowly learning the OEM 'game'. Potenza and Veloce are examples..Not sure it's 'better' to be bog into OE but..I've always 'predicted' Campag would make a 'Fulcrum' group in Asia, to help the OE transportation lead time..and still say 'Campagnolo is made entirely in Europe'..not so far.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estilley View Post
Got lucky and managed to get a used Chris King hub tool off craigslist today.

Just transferred the internals from a 32H shell to a 28H in minutes.

These things rock!
agreed! you cringe when you buy it but smile the whole time you're using it. they're very beautifully crafted and make the overhaul process a delight.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:55 AM

Converting my Space Horse to a flat bar townie/rando/porteur bike.

TRP RevoX canti brakes

Suntour XC Pro brake levers

Salsa Salt Flat 3 handlebar

Paul Thumbies & Shimano SL-BS79 10 speed bar end shifters
Old 09-20-2016, 05:00 PM

I've lusted after a Tommasini ever since I saw one in the bike shop where I bought my first decent bike and I recently found one. I'm just waiting for the last few parts to build it up. Although I can't do that until the floor is finished and we can move the stuff out of the end bedroom so I can actually get to the wardrobe to retrieve the frame.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:22 PM

2 tubes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-20-2016, 09:15 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Giro Synthe MIPS

Holy Smokes! Just purchased and received, today, a close-out of a last year's model Giro Synthe MIPS helmet. Just took the first ride today in it. I realize it's just one data point, but I think I'm REALLLLLY gonna like it. Was a bit unsure how it might work, as I had read that the MIPS interior tended to sort of block airflow. I'll admit that I did remove the extra 'sweat-band-type' pad at the front and just used some small dots to cover the velcro on the brow area so it would not scratch my head. The helmet seemed no hotter than my Giro Atmos II and the wind noise seemed to be quite reduced. On sale at CC (no personal affiliation) for $188.00 for some styles.

Mike in AR