Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Mycorrhizae? Can you explain 'helps find water in the soil'? You mean makes available water outside of conventional measures of soil moisture availability - e.g., at <permanent wilting point?
Yes Mycorrhizae. No, "Helps find water" in the soil not available to plants, meaning it associates roots, its hyphae expand beyond the root zone and are able to "find" water and transport it to the plant that is beyond what the roots, themselves, can access.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Yes Mycorrhizae. No, "Helps find water" in the soil not available to plants, meaning it associates roots, its hyphae expand beyond the root zone and are able to "find" water and transport it to the plant that is beyond what the roots, themselves, can access.
Gotcha. Good deal.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Most of those articles reflect the fact that there was some media HYPE in the 70's about a coming ice age. And lets see, back in the 70's the world's leading "supercomputer" would pale in comparison to the CPU in my phone. So, sure, ignore the fact that science advances and models today are considerably more sophisticated and reliable than those of the past. I'm sure back in the 70's there were any number of paid scientists arguing that smoking wasn't bad for your health. So which is it? Is smoking good or bad for me? When will the science ever be settled!

Last edited by cloudguy; 03-11-2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-11-2017, 03:43 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2fYguIX17Q
Old 03-11-2017, 04:08 PM
50 bpm

Three things:
  1. As a native who left California for 20 years before moving back, my view is there are too many people here and our infrastructure can't support it. It will only get worse. Much worse. And there is no will on the part of the public to raise taxes to pay just to keep up. Frankly, I can't wait to move back east.
  2. If Al Gore had not been the John the Baptist of climate change/global warming, many Americans might believe the legitimate science. Instead, you have buffoons now in power who say things that are so false as to be laughable if the issue wasn't so dire.
  3. I am the Elephant in this room.

Last edited by Elefantino; 03-11-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Three things:
  1. As a native who left California for 20 years before moving back, my view is there are too many people here and our infrastructure can't support it. It will only get worse. Much worse. And there is no will on the part of the public to raise taxes to pay just to keep up. Frankly, I can't wait to move back east.
  2. If Al Gore had not been the John the Baptist of climate change/global warming, many Americans might believe the legitimate science. Instead, you have buffoons now in power who say things that are so false as to be laughable of the issue wasn't so dire.
  3. I am the Elephant in this room.
Re: 2. Never thought about thaT. Great point
Old 03-11-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Back in the 80s when this was first starting to get a foothold, it WAS called Global Warming, but there was such a ****storm about it that Global Climate Change became favored.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
There was a concerted effort on the part of big oil to foster the use of climate change and eliminate global warming as a way to describe what is a catastrophe.
Documented but you have to google.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:19 PM

The Mean Streets of Pasadena

after a record setting winter, no rain in March. socal is so weird.

Last edited by beeatnik; 03-12-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:18 PM

We Have Some Good News on the California Drought. Take a Look.

MAMMOTH LAKES, CALIF. — The majestic beauty of California’s Sierra Nevada never fails to impress. But the mountain range, which stretches hundreds of miles, is much more than a stunning vista. It’s a linchpin that helps make living in an arid state possible.

That’s because one of California’s most important water supplies is melted snow. Each spring and summer, the Sierra sends runoff down its slopes that recharges rivers and reservoirs, allowing crops to be irrigated and drinking glasses to be filled.

Knowing with precision how much snow has accumulated is crucial for farmers and water managers.

That’s where a mapping project at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory known as the Airborne Snow Observatory comes in. Using measurements gathered by specialized instruments on a plane, scientists have been able to gain an unprecedented understanding of the amount of water present in the Sierra’s snow.

This year, after California’s very wet winter, the totals have been remarkably big.

Using the NASA data, we compared this year's snowpack with that of 2015, when the state was in the grip of drought (which, at least officially, is still ongoing). In the interactive maps below, the white areas had a meter, or 3.3 feet, or more of snow on the ground in March.