Old 04-17-2017, 07:32 PM

Salsa announced Ti versions of the 2017 Fargo and Timberjack

Salsa announced Ti versions of the 2017 Fargo and Timberjack

http://salsacycles.com/culture/the_return_of_titanium

http://www.bikepacking.com/news/salsa-timberjack-ti/

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/timberj...rjack_ti_frame

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/archive/2015_fargo_ti
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Salsa_Fargo_Ti_forward_white.jpg (73.7 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Salsa_Fargo_Ti_profile_white.jpg (55.9 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg Salsa_Timberjack_Ti_profile_white.jpg (51.0 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg Salsa_Timberjack_Ti_forward_white.jpg (66.9 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by Erik_A; 05-01-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:40 PM

Salsa to announce Ti versions of the 2017 Fargo & Timberjack

Question would be...what's the point? I don't get fancy materials for that type of bike...I say this having had a Gen 1 Fargo...saving even 3lbs off the frame weight would have made no difference in speed, and the tires mute any differences in ride characteristics...but they'll be pretty...the 3 cms of the frame not covered by a pack anyway

* I was hangry, forgive the sarcasm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Clean39T; 04-17-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:04 PM

Had both

I had a Gen 1 Fargo and now ride a Ti Fargo. There were a lot of changes to the frames between the generations, so can't attribute everything to the material, but I will say the Ti rides much nicer. Just my experience, so totally subjective. Like most things.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Question would be...what's the point? I don't get fancy materials for that type of bike...I say this having had a Gen 1 Fargo...saving even 3lbs off the frame weight would have made no difference in speed, and the tires mute any differences in ride characteristics...but they'll be pretty...the 3 cms of the frame not covered by a pack anyway

I know 3 riders that I have done Ti Fargo builds for and they would attest that the weight difference and ride quality is significant enough. Each of them ride significant miles and ride a lot of dirt and minimum maintenance roads.

One of the 3 started on the Ti, the other 2 moved to the Ti after having (and they still have) the steel. They feel the difference on the road and when pulling the bikes from the vehicle. These riders do all age 65+ so lifting weight is a real consideration.

The Fargo is a great bike. The Ti ones have always been a nice ride for long gravel especially with some light wheels and rubber.

In the case of the Fargo and Ti vs. Steel and gen1 vs. gen2, the compliance improvement on your gen2 Ti is mostly the frame material IMHO. But I think you already know that

Last edited by kingpin75s; 04-17-2017 at 09:44 PM. Reason: stuff
Old 04-17-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin75s View Post
I know 3 riders that I have done Ti Fargo builds for and they would attest that the weight difference and ride quality is significant enough. Each of them ride significant miles and ride a lot of dirt and minimum maintenance roads.

One of the 3 started on the Ti, the other 2 moved to the Ti after having (and they still have) the steel. They feel the difference on the road and when pulling the bikes from the vehicle. These riders do all age 65+ so lifting weight is a real consideration.

The Fargo is a great bike. The Ti ones have always been a nice ride for long gravel especially with some light wheels and rubber.

In the case of the Fargo and Ti vs. Steel and gen1 vs. gen2, the compliance improvement on your gen2 Ti is mostly the frame material IMHO. But I think you already know that

Good stuff - I pedal corrected

Some day I would like to try the whole bikepacking thing...I only used mine for commuting and grocery hauling, and felt like it was overkill for that...

Old 04-17-2017, 10:20 PM

Like their lineup wasn't stupid enough already. They haven't produced a great seller in years and they're always on closeout. Pick a few models that work and leave them alone! They could bring back the gen 1 fargo and sell tons!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
They could bring back the gen 1 fargo and sell tons!
^ This

Non-suspension correct for me please.

Last edited by kingpin75s; 04-17-2017 at 10:51 PM. Reason: stuff
Old 04-17-2017, 10:55 PM

God, I love the Ti Fargo. It just screams "ride me off into the sunset".

IF Planet X | Kona Ti SS 29er | Scott Fatbike | Turner Flux
Old 04-18-2017, 09:31 PM

I love my gen 1 Fargo!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 PM

What happened to the first post announcing as possible a Ti version of the Fargo?

Is that still happening?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:39 PM

this is that thread, op just edited the op.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:49 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
SPRING SPECIAL!

http://salsacycles.com/culture/cover...spring_special

We’re ushering in the warm weather riding season with a Spring Special on selected bikes and frames!
Wish they would usher it in with bikes you actually ride in the warm weather (Colossal is the exception). Where's the deal on the Cutthroat? Warbird?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:43 PM

I doubt they will ever put the Cutthroat on sale. Seems pretty hard to get a hold of. My local Salsa dealer said many frame sizes sold out in March; I don't think they make many. Seems like a super small niche. I imagine they are selling to people who don't want to build a dropbar 29er for at least $1000 less.

Anyway I think the Cutty has advantages some places, like my backyard, the loose, rocky, rooty, hella steep Marin dirt road riding where 8% grades are your breaks. These roads are interconnected by pavement. Those conditions don't occur in too many places.

I used to ride a steel Vaya. My Cutthroat is 4.5 lbs lighter, more comfortable, more efficient. It's pretty obvious when you ride them back to back.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:35 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
I doubt they will ever put the Cutthroat on sale. Seems pretty hard to get a hold of. My local Salsa dealer said many frame sizes sold out in March; I don't think they make many. Seems like a super small niche. I imagine they are selling to people who don't want to build a dropbar 29er for at least $1000 less.

Anyway I think the Cutty has advantages some places, like my backyard, the loose, rocky, rooty, hella steep Marin dirt road riding where 8% grades are your breaks. These roads are interconnected by pavement. Those conditions don't occur in too many places.

I used to ride a steel Vaya. My Cutthroat is 4.5 lbs lighter, more comfortable, more efficient. It's pretty obvious when you ride them back to back.
I'm wondering if you've used the Cutthroat for road rides. I'm contemplating getting a Cutthroat, as the terrain around here is similar to what you've got there (I'm in Utah). The Cutthroat will replace my Warbird and potentially, my road bike as well. I don't race, but I may do some century (or double) with the local rando group occasionally. If I can use the Cutthroat for those chunky mixed terrain rides and then slap 32c tires on for road rides, that would be ideal for me.

The Warbird does ok. But there are lots of ATV trails around here and some parts really get torn up. 2.2" tires would work much better.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:34 AM

Ti Warbird

I love my Ti Warbird... such a great riding bike...

I can run with 25s or 27s on the road in the summer and toss on my Compass 44s for gravel and winter riding... any anything in between...

Tags
2017, fargo, salsa, timberjack, titanium