Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 PM

The Cutthroat was designed as their race bike for the continental divide race and is named the Cutthroat because that is the state fish in each state the race goes through.....

Or so said one of their factory guys at a seminar/demo that I attended a couple of weeks ago said.

He also hinted a Ti Fargo might be coming but I guessed that it was far, far off.

To announce at Sea Otter would be very cool
Old 04-19-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
If I can use the Cutthroat for those chunky mixed terrain rides and then slap 32c tires on for road rides, that would be ideal for me.

The Warbird does ok. But there are lots of ATV trails around here and some parts really get torn up. 2.2" tires would work much better.
I used to ride a 2014 Tamland that I customized w/a Spot CX fork, WTB i23 KOM w/Hope 2 Evos, Cowchippers, 46/30t crank, bodyfloat, running the 40mm Nanos. Built it just how I wanted. Love it, but decided I really needed 2.1-2.3 vs. 40-44mm tires.

It has been so worth it. Every time I hit a 10-16% grade going up or down (lots of them on Marin fireroads), it is so nice to be running a larger contact patch with 26/28 psi. Dropped the psi I run by about 10. Singletrack is also way more fun. But, the Cutty feels like a MOUNTAIN BIKE, albeit one that is tolerable on paved roads.

My quiver is road bike, Cutthroat, full suspension mtn bike. I compromised gravel for more comfort on rocky, rooty, steep, loose, roads of Mt Tam.

If your Warbird is only ok for road rides, you will not like Cutty on pavement. If you're spending more of your time on gravel, you may want to keep Warbird, maybe get a fork with better clearance. It will slacken the headset angle and make sure you would not have severe toe overlap.

For example, Black Mountain Cycles makes a monster cross fork that fits 29x2.1 so you could run a Thunder Burt which is a fast mountain bike tire. The axle crown is only 5mm longer than your Warbird's stock fork, comes in 50mm offset. And its like $140, so could be a cheap experiment. That is way cheaper than a new bike. Pair that with a bodyfloat and you might be in business. The bodyfloat looks like a gimmick but it enabled me to keep up with fitter riders becuase I could keep the power on over rougher stuff.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 PM

I was looking at Fargo used prices and it seems like Ti and Gen 1 either pop up at some "stratospheric" prices or disappear of local classified postings within hours or days. That is not true of any other steel model
Old 04-20-2017, 07:00 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncro View Post
I used to ride a 2014 Tamland that I customized w/a Spot CX fork, WTB i23 KOM w/Hope 2 Evos, Cowchippers, 46/30t crank, bodyfloat, running the 40mm Nanos. Built it just how I wanted. Love it, but decided I really needed 2.1-2.3 vs. 40-44mm tires.

It has been so worth it. Every time I hit a 10-16% grade going up or down (lots of them on Marin fireroads), it is so nice to be running a larger contact patch with 26/28 psi. Dropped the psi I run by about 10. Singletrack is also way more fun. But, the Cutty feels like a MOUNTAIN BIKE, albeit one that is tolerable on paved roads.

My quiver is road bike, Cutthroat, full suspension mtn bike. I compromised gravel for more comfort on rocky, rooty, steep, loose, roads of Mt Tam.

If your Warbird is only ok for road rides, you will not like Cutty on pavement. If you're spending more of your time on gravel, you may want to keep Warbird, maybe get a fork with better clearance. It will slacken the headset angle and make sure you would not have severe toe overlap.

For example, Black Mountain Cycles makes a monster cross fork that fits 29x2.1 so you could run a Thunder Burt which is a fast mountain bike tire. The axle crown is only 5mm longer than your Warbird's stock fork, comes in 50mm offset. And its like $140, so could be a cheap experiment. That is way cheaper than a new bike. Pair that with a bodyfloat and you might be in business. The bodyfloat looks like a gimmick but it enabled me to keep up with fitter riders becuase I could keep the power on over rougher stuff.
Thanks for the insight. I've got a road bike as well (Mr Pink), which I was planning on selling, but maybe I'll hold on to it. Hopefully I'll come across a good deal on a Cutthroat so I can try it out.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:13 PM

Announcements are up!

http://salsacycles.com/culture/the_return_of_titanium

http://www.bikepacking.com/news/salsa-timberjack-ti/

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/timberj...rjack_ti_frame

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/archive/2015_fargo_ti
Old 05-01-2017, 05:18 PM

I really like the look of Fargo TI. Timberjack... not really.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncro View Post

What's a bodyfloat? Guess I could google it.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:02 AM

More press:

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/221...-drop-bar-bike

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/news...details-49799/
Old 05-02-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
What's a bodyfloat? Guess I could google it.
Suspension seatpost, sort of up-design Thudbuster...

Tags
2017, fargo, salsa, timberjack, titanium