Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2024, 04:39 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

New house, new bike room.

Basement room, lots of space and high ceilings. Also not too far from the furnace and is currently at 70 degrees which is a bit warm for my liking on the trainer at least.

Still need to:
- Hang/Tape/Finish drywall.
- Build out a wall/door to make an actual large storage closet past the main pane.
- Maybe install drop ceiling to keep the HVAC duct work and plumbing accessible while also keeping all that heat out of the room.
- Route a few HDMI's through the wall so they are hidden from the workbench/charging station to the double TV setup.
- Build out a few shelves in the shallow closet for other tools/for sale items.

As far as a work stand goes. I swiped a Feedback Sports slide, lock, clamp head on eBay for the cheap and will be installing my own small section of 1-1/2" Pipe on the wall somewhere, hoping it can swing away or down when not in use.

Old 02-02-2024, 10:05 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Small update, still toying with placement of bikes and the work stand before I add some soundproofing insulation and drywall so I can add blocking between studs to keep things as secure and compact as possible.

Feedback work stand clamp (used) and a exterior antenna mount from amazon looks to be a nice compact option and under $75.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5ZR63BY...roduct_details

Overall, I want to try to keep that hallway area as clear as possible and I will eventually putting a wall/door there for permanent storage.

Last edited by kppolich; 03-10-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM

My garage is too full of bikes (and other stuff) to work in, so I turned a section of my home office closet into bike tool and parts storage. I can put a bike up on my stand and work on it during boring Teams meetings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7618.jpg (116.1 KB, 467 views)
Old 03-12-2024, 07:45 PM

-

It isn't much, but it's so much better than anything I've had before,

Old 03-16-2024, 07:45 PM

Nice - keep ‘em coming folks! Love to see more …
Old 03-17-2024, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post
Timely bump on this thread. Our family recently moved and one of the benefits of doing so was I got my own space for a dedicated bike workshop. This is still a work in progress -- I've got a few more things planned for it -- but otherwise it's been fun to finally feel like I've got some space to move around in. Oh and also I now have a fully stocked Red Bull fridge, which is nice.

For those who may be wondering, the hanging/sliding storage rack was a DIY project I recently completed using strut channel conduit rails with 4-bearing trolleys. Turned out really well. The hooks slide along the rail on the trolleys which allows me to cram everything up there comfortably and with room to spare. If anyone would like me to do a separate how-to thread I'd be happy to put something together. Total all in cost was ~$150 (probably cheaper if you exclude all the extra parts I bought but didn't ultimately use!).

What an awesome thread……..I need one of those base units with the wood top and also the Red Bull fridge!!
My workspace is way too cluttered at this time to post. I’m a bit ashamed, lol.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:36 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Bumping this thread back up after a week or so of DIY improvements to the basement bike cave and 3d printing workspace.

Electrical, sound dampening insulation, drywall hang, tape, finish, primed, paint, and moved some things around. Last up is to get the storage area in the back situated and hang some shelves for larger holiday decorations.

Overall, really happy with the space. Will decide on a floor and ceiling in the future.

Last edited by kppolich; 04-24-2024 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:00 PM

Dude, you're off the rails. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but.. TWO TVs?!?!?
Old 04-24-2024, 01:20 PM
ZhugeLiang

In order to appreciate just how neat and tidy and well-maintained workshops pals like hoj, reformed, KP have, I humbly submit a contrasting picture of my crazy, messy, little happy place. This is what NOT to do.

Old 04-24-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
In order to appreciate just how neat and tidy and well-maintained workshops pals like hoj, reformed, KP have, I humbly submit a contrasting picture of my crazy, messy, little happy place. This is what NOT to do.
If you removed the garage door tracks you'd have more overhead space for... junk. And who doesn't need more space junk?
Old 04-24-2024, 01:33 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
If you removed the garage door tracks you'd have more overhead space for... junk. And who doesn't need more space junk?
Do not think for a MINUTE that I did not consider that option.

I was counting in my head how many more bikes I can hang....

As it is, the neighborhood kids like to gather around my driveway when I open up the door to work, I don't think I want to encourage them to help themselves to the bikes and the tools when I am not there.

Last edited by weisan; 04-24-2024 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:38 PM
Administrator

I prefer the weisan style of shop to kpp's personally. All those white walls and empty space look too sterile to me.

Weisan's shop, and mine, remind me of this New Yorker cover, which I also have a print of framed in my living room.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:32 PM

myspace (haha) is somewhere between Kyles and Weisans....
Old 04-24-2024, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Weisan's shop, and mine, remind me of this New Yorker cover, which I also have a print of framed in my living room.

Love this cover - assume it’s available for purchase from TNYer? Might have to add it to my shop, which being new remains pretty pristine but I love it nonetheless! But a lot to be said for the "weathered wizard workshop" look too.

Last edited by wgp; 04-25-2024 at 12:05 PM.