Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
eastern coyotes - one thing to mention, and not to suggest that they are any more dangerous or cause for alarm, but there are hybrids in the east that are generally bigger than a true coyote, and they are starting to at times hunt in packs and have been known to take down deer. Genetics show they are part coyote, part eastern timber wolf and part dog (and ironically if there are any genes that tend to contribute to a more assertive posture towards humans, its the dog component).

Project coyote is a pretty good resource: http://www.projectcoyote.org/
Saw this on Nature. Fascinating.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:18 PM

I'm in Tucson, AZ and often see coyotes whilst riding. They always seem fairly nonchalant and often give a disinterested look before disappearing back into the desert.

I've seen a mountain lion once whilst mountain biking and that was a whole different experience. It also strolled away, maybe 50 ft in front of me, but it scared the ***** out of me, to the point I called my wife to see if she would drive her car to get me (she wouldn't). I rode straight back down the trail looking over my shoulder every few seconds just in case it decided to make me into a tasty meal.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:20 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
So.... no situation awareness for rattlers, grizzlies, or cougars. But a wary eye for people. Got it.
yeah whatever works for you Dead Man..... Let me know when you have something other than sarcasm to contribute here...
Old 05-25-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidey View Post
Apparently there are coyotes around the area I live (in SF), and consequently go for runs (morning/evening; varies).

What are some things I can do when I find myself face-face with a Coyote on a run, in order to not get my a$$, or any other part for that matter, bitten?
I'd do what Ozzy would do - Bark at the Moon!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnNWUUZ7cEA .

We see them a couple of times a month in our neighborhood. It's kinda cool having them around. However, if I were a cat or a small dog, I may be a bit more concerned...

Texbike
Old 05-25-2016, 05:31 PM

Take a crappy cell phone pic

Spotted this magnificent Beast by the DesPlaines river. Neat Willow Springs IL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0664A.jpg (97.2 KB, 127 views)
Old 05-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
So you should not fear grizzlies n cougars and rattlers n ****, but you should fear your fellow man?

No...
Well I was talking about coyotes. But the other animals you listed should not be feared but certainly respected. There is a huge difference between perceived vs actual risk. We should fear driving and stairs far more than so called dangerous animals. Just like we use seat belts and handrails we should use resonable precautions. I grew up in bear country and my kids spent most of their lives in the same. Seeing bears on our property was never unusual. Afraid, no; respectfull and cautious when necessary yes.

Let me ask you this. How many threads are about people getting guns pulled on them by bears. Or getting run down by Cougars? Humans are far more dangerous to humans than all the rest of livng things combined. There is only one large mammal in North America, other than humans, that will actively hunt people as a matter of insinct.

Last edited by Black Dog; 05-25-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:48 PM

I see lots around Tucson both in town and in the desert. I ran across 2 bobcats during early evening on the LOOP in Oro Valley. Lots of snakes and other creepy crawlers but only felt threatened once when I rode thru a bunch of bee's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (150.7 KB, 128 views)
Old 05-25-2016, 05:51 PM
The B!

Quote:
yeah whatever works for you Dead Man..... Let me know when you have something other than sarcasm to contribute here...
You should fear cougars, rattlers, and grizzlies. They can mess you up. They don't have any compunctions, care for your health or life, can't relate to you, and aren't going to reason if they decide you're a threat that needs to be preemptively attacked, or something that might taste better than pine needles if it's been a while. All they know is kill-or-be-killed, and the fact that they're still alive to have encountered you walking along the trail means they HAVE and frequently DO kill. Every once in a while, history shows us, it's even people they kill or maim.

The animal has been killing things its whole life. People living and working and loving and thinking and creating all around you have probably never killed much more than a spider. And then felt bad about it later. We're actually really predictable - walking down the street, you encounter another person and you go, "sup, bro?" odds are overwelmingly that person's response isn't going to be fight-or-flight. He's probably just gonna go "yo," and you'll just keep going in your respective directions.

Fear and hatred of our fellow man is the cause of a lot of stupid **** that actually affects my life, and society as a whole. And people DO have morality. People DO care about your health and life, they can relate to you. We even care about animals and try to protect their species.

But since a small segment of our species is dangerous..... animals should not be feared, but people should be.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I see coyotes every now and again on rides and trail runs. In my opinion, they are utterly harmless to adult humans. You can ignore them. You can wave your arms. You can shout "meep, meep!" They're not going to bother you in any event.
Yup. Don't worry about it. If he's lookkin for food it ain't something bigger than him.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:27 PM

I feel like a well placed boulder and fulcrumed lever oughta take care of any coyote you happen to see. Now if you have pets...prepare for a fight.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
You should fear cougars, rattlers, and grizzlies. They can mess you up.
as can numerous other organisms....many more humans are killed by microbes than bears, cats, or snakes.

your fears are obviously the result of being completely unschooled in zoology and wildlife behavior.

probably ought to stick to a topic you actually know something about.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:42 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
You should fear cougars, rattlers, and grizzlies. They can mess you up. They don't have any compunctions, care for your health or life, can't relate to you, and aren't going to reason if they decide you're a threat that needs to be preemptively attacked, or something that might taste better than pine needles if it's been a while. All they know is kill-or-be-killed, and the fact that they're still alive to have encountered you walking along the trail means they HAVE and frequently DO kill. Every once in a while, history shows us, it's even people they kill or maim.

The animal has been killing things its whole life. People living and working and loving and thinking and creating all around you have probably never killed much more than a spider. And then felt bad about it later. We're actually really predictable - walking down the street, you encounter another person and you go, "sup, bro?" odds are overwelmingly that person's response isn't going to be fight-or-flight. He's probably just gonna go "yo," and you'll just keep going in your respective directions.

Fear and hatred of our fellow man is the cause of a lot of stupid **** that actually affects my life, and society as a whole. And people DO have morality. People DO care about your health and life, they can relate to you. We even care about animals and try to protect their species.

But since a small segment of our species is dangerous..... animals should not be feared, but people should be.
I've spent much of my life in the woods and water. I study carnivore - human interaction and conflict as part of my job. When I hike in Grizzly country I do it in groups of 4 and with bear spray. When I dive in areas where tiger sharks are active, I'm aware of their potential danger and I have a plan to react. When I hike across a shale scree slope on a warm afternoon I keep an eye out for snakes. If I find myself in a sketchy neighborhood at the wrong time of day or night, I take note of all activity around me. I don't give much heed to coyotes unless they're acting hanky which could indicate rabies.

I don't live my life in fear of humans or people. That's just a waste of mental energy. To quote the Russian spy in "Bridge of Spies" "would it help?"

I do respect the fact that you can find yourself in harms way in many circumstances and you can take measures to lessen your risk. The most risky behavior I engage in is riding my bicycle on the road. And the actors causing the greatest risk to life and limb in this circumstance are indeed animals: genus: homo species/subspecies: sapiens sapiens.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
I've spent much of my life in the woods and water. I study carnivore - human interaction and conflict as part of my job. When I hike in Grizzly country I do it in groups of 4 and with bear spray. When I dive in areas where tiger sharks are active, I'm aware of their potential danger and I have a plan to react. When I hike across a shale scree slope on a warm afternoon I keep an eye out for snakes. If I find myself in a sketchy neighborhood at the wrong time of day or night, I take note of all activity around me. I don't give much heed to coyotes unless they're acting hanky which could indicate rabies.

I don't live my life in fear of humans or people. That's just a waste of mental energy. To quote the Russian spy in "Bridge of Spies" "would it help?"

I do respect the fact that you can find yourself in harms way in many circumstances and you can take measures to lessen your risk. The most risky behavior I engage in is riding my bicycle on the road. And the actors causing the greatest risk to life and limb in this circumstance are indeed animals: genus: homo species/subspecies: sapiens sapiens.
Great summary of reality. Well said.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:55 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
as can numerous other organisms....many more humans are killed by microbes than bears, cats, or snakes.

your fears are obviously the result of being completely unschooled in zoology and wildlife behavior.

probably ought to stick to a topic you actually know something about.
Right. Next time you step over a log and hear a rattle, be sure to post and tell us what happened to your heart rate.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
In my neck of the woods we ride quickly to the coffee shop and say loudly "I dingo ate my baby daughter"

[but you have to be of a certain age to understand the reference]
ROFLMFAO - you are a bad man Rusty