Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Yes. Let's just shoot everything that annoys us. This is America.
Haha!

Or bring treats! Beggin' Strips work nice.

But yeah, yell, look big, carry a weapon (stick).
Old 05-25-2016, 04:41 PM

Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere...I'm the egg-man
Cool, thanks for the inputs everyone. If I see a coyote, I'll make like a banana and split

I'll put away that ACME anvil then; was weighing me down.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:45 PM

I've lived in my house next to a canyon in San Diego since 1999. Coyotes roam the canyon and occasionally walk the streets. Sometimes they stop and stare out of curiosity but they aren't threatening to humans. They may eat some small pets and chickens that are poorly contained. That's the humans' fault. I don't see it as a reason to kill them.

We have rattlesnakes too. If you stay on marked trails or walk carefully when you venture off, they aren't an issue.

We also have a few remaining mountain lions out east. Seeing one is a treat. In twenty years, I know of two humans in Southern California who've killed by them. That's less humans than are killed by Americans under age five playing with guns in a month.

Shooting any of them is an ignorant act.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:48 PM
The B!

Quote:
So is acting like I suggested it
Old 05-25-2016, 04:52 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
So you should not fear grizzlies n cougars and rattlers n ****, but you should fear your fellow man?

No...
absolutely. Your chances of being hurt by any carnivore on land or sea are trifling compared to the risk of being run over, shot or otherwise predated by humans. Like the coyote acclimated to humans, we fear not what we know, but rather those things we don't (or of which we know only through myths and stories). Should you be scared if you find yourself between a female griz and her cubs - heck yeah, you are in harms way. Should you fear other species per se -- not if you educate yourself.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:53 PM
bourbon!

Quote:
In the situation you describe, I agree it's pretty silly to shoot them.

It's a whole other thing if you are a cattle rancher or sheep farmer and they are destroying the baby calves or lambs in your herd.

That being said, we've got lots of the around my neighborhood. I see them on my street several times a year. They mostly just stare and then run away when you walk too close. I rode by a pair of them on the side of the road once. They were maybe 10' away and just watched me roll past. I waved at them and said hello.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:53 PM

In my neck of the woods we ride quickly to the coffee shop and say loudly "I dingo ate my baby daughter"

[but you have to be of a certain age to understand the reference]
Old 05-25-2016, 04:54 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Your chances of being hurt by any carnivore on land or sea are trifling compared to the risk of being run over, shot or otherwise predated by humans. Like the coyote acclimated to humans, we fear not what we know, but rather those things we don't (or of which we know only through myths and stories). Should you be scared if you find yourself between a female griz and her cubs - heck yeah, you are in harms way. Should you fear other species per se -- not if you educate yourself.
So you should fear your fellow man?
Old 05-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Epic=No Smiles

I see coyotes every now and again on rides and trail runs. In my opinion, they are utterly harmless to adult humans. You can ignore them. You can wave your arms. You can shout "meep, meep!" They're not going to bother you in any event.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:00 PM

growing up in the desert SW, I've been around coyotes often. they're scavengers and omnivores...small mammals, fruits, insects, etc etc. they're known to kill rattlesnakes that threaten their pups.

they carry a lot of parasites and have observed many with mange...they can look pretty horrid when it's in an advanced stage.

unless rabid, they pose very little danger to humans. but, I wouldn't try to make friends with one either...

just let it go on its way and appreciate the fact that you can still interact with some wildlife.

I saw a really healthy, well-fed red fox on my walk around the work campus today. eating must be good down in the little creek that runs thru the property...
Old 05-25-2016, 05:00 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
So you should fear your fellow man?
fear is a poor word me thinks. Fear, to me, describes a visceral response to a threat; at least that is the frame in which I think it is most appropriate.

How about situational awareness and yes I believe you should be aware of threats in whatever situation you find yourself in, and in our environment, most of those threats stem from conduct and sometimes ill intent of humans. That's different though that saying you should per se fear your fellow man, whatever "fellow" means, by which I mean we are a tribal lot; one need only read the news to see that play out across the globe on a daily basis.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:03 PM

Where I live we hear (not too often see) coyotes almost every other night. I keep a watchful eye on our dogs at dusk and night and when I do walk them in woods, always carry a whistle and regularly use it...for bears too. I sometimes carry handgun when walking in remote areas, not really for my protection, but for dogs with coyotes. We have a good friend who lives on a farm in York, PA. One evening last year, she gets out of her car with her dog, australian shepard, and dog just wanders off 20 yards by house and was attacked by two coyotes. Almost killed the poor dog, but I think she wandered into the coyotes by accident. My wife is kind of freaked out by them, but just keep close eye on pups. One time a few years ago fly fishing near home with our golden retriever I looked up the bank and saw a VERY large coyote standing on a log just eyeing myself and dog. He got bored and walked away. I've also mtn biked right through a pack of coyote pups on top of a mtn nearby. They actually ran with me while I was on the bike...not sure where momma was.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:08 PM

I see them regularly on my rides, in fact saw one this afternoon running toward me as I was on the MUP. It just trotted past with no interest, which is the usual pattern. They are just part of the environment and they have never shown any interest in me.....
Old 05-25-2016, 05:08 PM
formerly Landshark_98

eastern coyotes - one thing to mention, and not to suggest that they are any more dangerous or cause for alarm, but there are hybrids in the east that are generally bigger than a true coyote, and they are starting to at times hunt in packs and have been known to take down deer. Genetics show they are part coyote, part eastern timber wolf and part dog (and ironically if there are any genes that tend to contribute to a more assertive posture towards humans, its the dog component).

Project coyote is a pretty good resource: http://www.projectcoyote.org/

Last edited by Kirk007; 05-25-2016 at 05:10 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-25-2016, 05:11 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
fear is a poor word me thinks. Fear, to me, describes a visceral response to a threat; at least that is the frame in which I think it is most appropriate.

How about situational awareness and yes I believe you should be aware of threats in whatever situation you find yourself in, and in our environment, most of those threats stem from conduct and sometimes ill intent of humans. That's different though that saying you should per se fear your fellow man, whatever "fellow" means, by which I mean we are a tribal lot; one need only read the news to see that play out across the globe on a daily basis.
So.... no situation awareness for rattlers, grizzlies, or cougars. But a wary eye for people. Got it.