Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2016, 04:31 PM

In those (now rare) cases when I have gotten to know and become friends with LBS staff and ownership, I would tend to get what I need/want, and spend little time thinking about how I could save a buck online. Unfortunately, that was elsewhere. I rarely frequent most of the local shops around here either because of less than stellar experiences with repair (or cost), or because I just didn't feel very welcome.

There is one shop that I've run across here locally recently that I am glad to say is a good exception....
Old 05-23-2016, 04:32 PM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2351 View Post
To add, I'd like to ask everyone here to guess how much Shimano reimbursed shops for having to sell their old inventory at below their previous cost.

That would be ZERO.
That would be 100% correct.
The bike shop owners where I work are still pissed at Shimano.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:48 PM

I wonder how many people here really need to take their bikes in for service? I mean if you have a bike built right the first time with high quality parts how often or possible is it to need much of any service?
Old 05-23-2016, 05:17 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
I wonder how many people here really need to take their bikes in for service? I mean if you have a bike built right the first time with high quality parts how often or possible is it to need much of any service?
I do from time to time, on my MTBs. For example, I prefer not to service my own shocks and forks when it comes time for maintenance. I also choose not to bleed my own brakes. I pay the local shop to do this. I pay them what they charge, and I pay them full retail for the parts I use. It's all good.

Al
Old 05-23-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcounsel View Post
I do from time to time, on my MTBs. For example, I prefer not to service my own shocks and forks when it comes time for maintenance. I also choose not to bleed my own brakes. I pay the local shop to do this. I pay them what they charge, and I pay them full retail for the parts I use. It's all good.

Al
Yeah I could agree with that. I would imagine suspension tuning to be somewhat of an art in itself. I also recall an old Kawasaki dirtbike I had that I couldn't for the life of me bleed the air out of a brake line that I replaced.The shop said they had a neat little vacuum tool for that... Hey your a sportbike buff as I recall so you can appreciate this...I ride a k6 1000 only on the road with dreams of a trackday so anyways. To save some money I get good deals on tires thru Ebay but because of a bad experience with tire irons scratching the lips of my mags on a different bike I once owned plus a lot of swearing and cussing and a hard time seating beads I like to take the wheels and tires to the motorcycle shop. They really do a nice job although they do charge a pretty penny for a half hour labor to mount and balance the tires on wheels. It's worth it though. Currently my bike is on track stands and the wheels are at the shop. I would like to get the tires there as well but honestly I get them for half the price on Ebay. Nice to be able to just drop off the wheels and tires without asking someone for a ride home if I left the whole bike there as well.

Last edited by gemship; 05-23-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:30 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by quauhnahuac View Post
the responses in this thread from bike shop owners really seem to reveal the "old" mentality and give good insight into why bike shops with this mindset are unable/unwilling to adapt to a changing marketplace and end up going out of business. it comes across as stubborn, for lack of a better word, and is a shame that talented mechanics lose their jobs when a store goes out of business because the old guard refused to adapt
Not true at all(as a former bike shop owner) Unfortunately it's just not that simple and certainly not an 'old fart' mindset problem. US bike shops buy from distributors, for good or ill. To match $ or sell big bunches of stuff online, ya gotta sell big bunches of stuff online-volume. If you don't have volume and you can't reduce cost as a retailer, you either match $ and eventually go out of biz or sell at the margin to keep the lights on. To pay for your monthly fixed expenses.

You buy from a distributor a widget for $43. That same distributor sells direct that same widget for $50. What do you suggest? How does a LBS adapt? Your comments reek of lack of knowledge of retail in general and bike retail specifically.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:37 PM

i dont get this response.
wasnt the lbs charging $100 for the cassette? Now that is a big markup -- not the "divide by 0.65" that you've suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Not true at all(as a former bike shop owner) Unfortunately it's just not that simple and certainly not an 'old fart' mindset problem. US bike shops buy from distributors, for good or ill. To match $ or sell big bunches of stuff online, ya gotta sell big bunches of stuff online-volume. If you don't have volume and you can't reduce cost as a retailer, you either match $ and eventually go out of biz or sell at the margin to keep the lights on. To pay for your monthly fixed expenses.

You buy from a distributor a widget for $43. That same distributor sells direct that same widget for $50. What do you suggest? How does a LBS adapt? Your comments reek of lack of knowledge of retail in general and bike retail specifically.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:08 PM

The sad reality is retail brick-and-mortar businesses such as independently owned bike shops are a dying breed. Direct to retail is becoming the norm for many products including bikes.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
wasnt the lbs charging $100 for the cassette? Now that is a big markup -- not the "divide by 0.65" that you've suggested.
As was noted previously in the thread Shimano did a running price change in January. Anything bought before that had to be sold at the new price and shops lost money on all of these transactions.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:11 PM

I'm currently weighing this myself.

I am researching/in the market for my first Ti bike. I have 2 LBS that work with Ti frame vendors. One is a Moots dealer, the other is Seven. I'm not (yet) a competent bike wrencher, so I will be buying a built bike. Cost will be roughly equivalent between dealers, but I would pay sales tax on top of that.

Another alternative would be a 2 hour drive to a fitter that works with a very well respected builder. Or I can go with a 6 hour drive to another frame builder I find interesting. Either of these choices would likely net me a full-up bike delivered to my house, again for roughly the same price, sans sales tax (yes, I know about use tax).

Currently I'm leaning towards one of my LBS for the bike. I like the idea of supporting the local economy. I like the idea of starting to build a longer-term relationship with one of my bike shops. Will it cost me a couple hundred more? Most likely. But I believe that local retail establishments are the first contact for a lot of the hobbies I enjoy. When I have the the choice, if I don't support my local shop, I have no basis to complain when I can't get what I need the night before an event, or if I can't find other folks in my community to share my hobby with.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:21 PM

You generally can't get big discounts on shoes online, afaik. But even if one could, I would be willing to pay a significant premium at the LBS for shoes or any item which required fit expertise.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Bassman View Post
I'm currently weighing this myself.

I am researching/in the market for my first Ti bike. I have 2 LBS that work with Ti frame vendors. One is a Moots dealer, the other is Seven. I'm not (yet) a competent bike wrencher, so I will be buying a built bike. Cost will be roughly equivalent between dealers, but I would pay sales tax on top of that.

Another alternative would be a 2 hour drive to a fitter that works with a very well respected builder. Or I can go with a 6 hour drive to another frame builder I find interesting. Either of these choices would likely net me a full-up bike delivered to my house, again for roughly the same price, sans sales tax (yes, I know about use tax).

Currently I'm leaning towards one of my LBS for the bike. I like the idea of supporting the local economy. I like the idea of starting to build a longer-term relationship with one of my bike shops. Will it cost me a couple hundred more? Most likely. But I believe that local retail establishments are the first contact for a lot of the hobbies I enjoy. When I have the the choice, if I don't support my local shop, I have no basis to complain when I can't get what I need the night before an event, or if I can't find other folks in my community to share my hobby with.
It's totally worth it in your case to go through the LBS. It's going to be totally worth it in terms of tweaking fittings, etc. and you never know, you might get some other stuff discounted when you buy the full bike. You will be happy no matter which bike you get. Also, think about the value of your time in having to drive a ways for a fitting, etc. if you can get something of equal expertise locally.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:59 AM

When you go to the Doctors/Hospital do you ask for a discount? Why should you expect a discount in a retail enviroment? Do you all ask for a 10-20% off you food shop in the supermarket? Now put the shoe on the other foot and how would you feel if you were expected to give a discount off every job you did
Old 05-24-2016, 04:45 AM

Your bikeshop is not trying to screw you. They're trying to stay open.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
As mentioned, shimano lowered their MSRP and cost by like 35%..so the $100 amount was accurate until then.