Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2016, 10:07 AM
Mr Dobalina

I was an early adopter of CF in the early 2000s...and it certainly accelerated years of orthopedic wear on my body. The sport is maturing and instead of a bunch of 20 somethings destroying their bodies, wearing Rogue Fitness shirts (of which I would have fit right in)....many Boxes are developing/hiring knowledgeable instructors that are gearing Crossfit and its principals (functional fitness) towards people in their 3rd decade and beyond. I am all for it.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:08 AM

Crossfit is much less boring than lifting weights and running on a treadmill
Old 05-22-2016, 10:38 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
There was a thriving CF gym in a small community north of Boulder. Their lease was up the new terms were not favorable and the landlord was not willing to contribute to a few infrastructure upgrades.

The owners bought a building in a new upscale "urban" development in Longmont and business is thriving. The first space was rented out immediately to another CF. They are doing well. Boulder County, so not necessarily indicative of trends elsewhere, but CF looks like it's here to stay. I know a few young former college athletes who are way into CF.

Sorry, but, Colorado doesn't count, especially Boulder. 90% of the people in that state are passionate about being the fittest person in the world. It ain't the skinniest state for nothing.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:41 AM

I agree that CF is a positive thing.

Now, when watching the big CF contests on TV, I have to asked whether the CF'ers are juicing. Does CF do PED testing?
Old 05-22-2016, 10:46 AM

As firerescuefin said, at its core, CrossFit is about functional fitness. Period. That's it. Works for some people, doesn't for others. I feel like a lot of the "hate" is towards CrossFit "culture", which is understandable, but honestly, it's no different than anything else that people like to promote (political beliefs, religions, diets, etc.).
Old 05-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
As firerescuefin said, at its core, CrossFit is about functional fitness. Period. That's it. Works for some people, doesn't for others. I feel like a lot of the "hate" is towards CrossFit "culture", which is understandable, but honestly, it's no different than anything else that people like to promote (political beliefs, religions, diets, etc.).
Yes, I didn't mean to touch off the cross fit debate. I am more interested in it as a business trend. But, as you noted, the hate may come from the culture aspect of it.

If people were flipping tires on the side of the road, drivers would probably hate them too, and joke about hitting them.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Yes, I didn't mean to touch off the cross fit debate. I am more interested in it as a business trend. But, as you noted, the hate may come from the culture aspect of it.

If people were flipping tires on the side of the road, drivers would probably hate them too, and joke about hitting them.
According to this article, there were 13 CrossFit boxes in 2005. When the article was written (August 2014), there were more than 10,000 (but probably not too much more).

Looking at this current affiliate map and adding up all the numbers, there are 12,331 affiliates now. So still growing it seems...

Another way to measure its growth is to look at the number of annual participants in the CrossFit Games Open...

Link 1
Link 2

2011 - 26,000
2012 - 69,370
2013 - 138,619
2014 - 209,585
2015 - ?
2016 - 324,000+

Last edited by xeladragon; 05-22-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeladragon View Post
According to this article, there were 13 CrossFit boxes in 2005. When the article was written (August 2014), there were more than 10,000 (but probably not too much more).

Looking at this current affiliate map and adding up all the numbers, there are 12,331 affiliates now. So still growing it seems...
Safe to say there are probably 5k more to that as well doing crossfit style work-outs/purchasing rogue equipment for small start up gyms. To be an affiliate you have to have Level 1 Certified staff and pay for that "crossfit affiliated" Status.

Last edited by alexsteinker; 05-22-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsteinker View Post
Safe to say there are probably 5k more to that as well doing crossfit style work-outs/purchasing rogue equipment for small start up gyms. To be an affiliate you have to have Level 1 Certified staff and pay for that "crossfit affiliated" Status.
Yep... and my garage is one of those 5K.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:44 PM

Don't get the jokes that are about ripping on crossfit. I mean, cyclists are way easier to make fun of.

At least CF builds a lot more functional fitness if you don't let yourself get torn up in doing it.

I don't do CF, but emulate some of the workouts as part of my overall fitness program. We all would be better off doing pullups, pushups, and weights instead of riding our bikes all the time.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzthomas View Post
Don't get the jokes that are about ripping on crossfit. I mean, cyclists are way easier to make fun of.
The bika ego is a fragile ego. Must feed the superiority complex.

Look at traditional gyms. The race to the bottom is pretty much there. Crossfit doesn't use anything out of the ordinary for equipment, and they can charge a premium to use it. Raises the bar. Good business.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:08 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzthomas View Post
We all would be better off doing pullups, pushups, and weights in addition to riding our bikes all the time.
FIFY

But not competitively. And that's the problem with crossfit: they have tried to make themselves out to be some kind of sport or something. Just going to the gym- you know, training- is likely to result in torn connective tissue.

I do calisthenics as part of my morning routine, for "functional fitness." I slowly, calmly do three sets each of pushups, pullups, crunches, and weighted squats... I don't throw weights around my house, I don't go against the clock, I don't use momentum and dynamic movement to get through reps - I will never understand that retardation.

Definitely don't need to pay someone to bark at you to try harder to injure yourself to maintain "functional fitness."
Old 05-22-2016, 01:56 PM

A warehouse I pass on the way to work was turned into a crossfit gym a couple of years ago. I called them to see how much the fees were and they said--$130 a month!

I like to belong to a gym, especially for the winter months, but it has to be cheap enough that I don't feel too bad about only going 2x a week. And when I say cheap, I mean, under $30 a month, but that's just me.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:57 PM

I was at the gym this morning (lifting massive amounts of weight) and talked to the owner who is experienced with crossfit. He said one of CF's claims to fame is that, in the competitions, they Do Not test for PEDs.

Maybe Lance could have a competitive future in the CR games.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
A warehouse I pass on the way to work was turned into a crossfit gym a couple of years ago. I called them to see how much the fees were and they said--$130 a month!

I like to belong to a gym, especially for the winter months, but it has to be cheap enough that I don't feel too bad about only going 2x a week. And when I say cheap, I mean, under $30 a month, but that's just me.
Valid argument, but you're really paying 130$ a month for unlimited access to any classes you'd want to attend, high level coaching INCLUDED, and a really tight group of people that really just want to better themselves. I spend more than that a month on Over priced food i shouldn't be eating