Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2016, 08:55 PM

OT: Tent for 4

We are shopping for a new family tent. I am tired of the hassle of our cheapo tent and wondered if any of you have experience with a tent that you like for a reasonable amount of money?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:59 PM

Whatever you decide to go with, the rei 20% off annual sale is coming up, and don't forget the cashback using activejunky.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dired View Post
Whatever you decide to go with, the rei 20% off annual sale is coming up, and don't forget the cashback using activejunky.
I new about the REI sale but I am now checking out active junky.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:13 PM

if you want to buy one that will last a lifetime if you take care of it: springbar out of Utah. http://www.kirkhams.com/

they're canvas, so a bit heavy and would not be for packing in anywhere. I've purchased a lot of tents, car/camper camping as well as backpacking. These are easy to go up, durable, reparable and a nice shaped tent. But, being canvas, you do need to properly care for it.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:53 PM

What's your budget? Are you looking for a car camping or backpacking tent?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:07 PM
not banished

I had read about Nemo tents and the Losi 3 person tent looked really cool. Add in a sale and a 20% off coupon and I snagged on.

I can say the tent is rad and lived up to it's rep. Just really well thought out. I have 2 sierra design tents - one standard two person and one wicked light two person. Sierra Design always seems to last forever and be decent.

Both Nemo and Sierra Design make 4 person - check 'em out.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
What's your budget? Are you looking for a car camping or backpacking tent?
Thank you. Care camping and it looks like tents like I am looking at are around $400 give or take.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:17 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
I had read about Nemo tents and the Losi 3 person tent looked really cool. Add in a sale and a 20% off coupon and I snagged on.

I can say the tent is rad and lived up to it's rep. Just really well thought out. I have 2 sierra design tents - one standard two person and one wicked light two person. Sierra Design always seems to last forever and be decent.

Both Nemo and Sierra Design make 4 person - check 'em out.
Ill 2nd the rec for nemo tents, bought a 2p hornet recently, used it thursday night, fit 2 people...snugly, super light, packs small, very well-designed. I also bought their sleeping pad and tango sleeping bag, also very nice. I'm a fan.

If you are car camping though, its pretty hard to beat the REI stuff for the money.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:21 PM

Where will you be using it? Are you looking for a summer tent or 3 season tent? Do you want the whole family to share a common area or would you like two rooms?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:22 PM

a true four person tent? Or for what passes as a four person tent for backpacking?

I really like my REI Half Dome - it's a big "4 person tent" that we can fit 2.5 people comfortably.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody sunday View Post
a true four person tent? Or for what passes as a four person tent for backpacking?

I really like my REI Half Dome - it's a big "4 person tent" that we can fit 2.5 people comfortably.
Have a half dome as well, used for car camping, we can fit a queen size air mattress in it...
Old 05-21-2016, 11:52 PM

REI Basecamp 6!

Highly recommend this tent for family car camping. We have used it all over the country and in all weather. It has been great. This is a great size for the family of 4. If your stuck on a nasty weather day there is some room to hang out. The full fly is very nice. Plus being able to stand is great. It's big and heavy but it's not a backpacking tent.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:21 AM

This is from a few years ago but I love this pic.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

For a four person family car camping, you want a 6 person tent. We have a Sierra Designs Bedouin, which has a four person main tent and a two person anti room, which I don't think is still made but you would want a similar design.

For family camping, you'll want the extra room for clothes. We always fill the annex with bags and then the four of us fit comfortably in the main section. Since the Bedouin isn't made anymore, I'd go for the REI 6 person tent.

I prefer real tents designed to stand up to bad weather. Eventually you will have a bad weather night and you will be happy your tent kept you dry.

Buy a good tent, good pads, and good sleeping bags, then enjoy camping. We look forward to all our camping trips and they are usually the highlight of the year for the family.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:24 AM

Im writing this in my marmot limestone 6p now at el capitan beach with 4 people inside.
Couldnt be happier.