Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Ahhh, none of the above. You mentioned 'road', like a 2-3 hour road ride. Ther than a flat tire, what else goes wrong? I have needed a tool exactly once in 35 years, loose cleat and a stop at a car repair place fixed that. Ymmv and all that but maintain yer bike, stuff doesn't break with a frequency to justify carrying a bunch of tools, IMHO
The tools a cyclist carries with them is a history of mechanical problems they have suffered on past rides. Similar to what you say, most of my road riding problems have been tire/tube related, but every once in a while I'll have use for an Allen wrench or screw driver. I've had cleat screws loosen mid ride, or maybe discover a loose chainring bolt or some such. Just about any small mult-tool will do for most things.

I tend to carry more tools on MTB rides, because experience shows that more things tend to break on MTB rides. I've seen a wide variety of common and specialty tools carried (and actually used) on MTB rides (pedal wrenches, headset wrenches, crank bolt wrenches, etc.). I know some people who carry spare brake/derailleur cables, and even one who carries a spare rear derailleur.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:33 AM

In my experience, correctly torqued fasteners seldom loosen of their own accord. I don't carry a multitool on the road as I simply haven't needed one.

MTBing is slightly different because of the increased possibility of crash damage (e.g. I've removed a disc caliper after bending the mounts) and the annoyance of not being able to ride out of the woods. I carry a multi-tool, park chain tool and quick links.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:17 PM
|:||:|::|:||:|:

For daily commuting this goes in a small pouch; extra tube is underneath my saddle, pump is somewhere on the bike or in a bag.

On longer rides I bring a chain tool, small first aid kit, and an single-serving bottle of whiskey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160518_130637.jpg (29.2 KB, 187 views)
Old 05-18-2016, 12:21 PM

I carry a multi tool, patch kit, tube, co2, and tire levers. I've rarely needed the multi-tool except for going out and tweaking positions. I have used it plenty of times for others on group rides or other cyclists I encounter on the side of the road. Mtb I carry multi w/ chain tool just in case, but have thankfully never needed it.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The tools a cyclist carries with them is a history of mechanical problems they have suffered on past rides...
This is a great insight. It's quite general; for example, contract law and biological evolution also follow this principle.

(There's also an analogy here to helmet use. One attempts to predict the unpredictable, to see into the future -- one imagines what may happen, and makes their best guess how to prepare.)

Me, I'm in the ounce-of-prevention camp. If I look at the history of problems I've suffered on past rides, virtually all (excepting flats) were the result of neglected maintenance, or less-than-thoroughness in originally setting the bike up. So -- that's what I carry with me now: a very carefully set up, and I hope not too neglected, bike.

And a couple tubes.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
...maintain yer bike...
this. best tool you can have, really.

although the chain lube is a great idea. I can think of specific people right now that I'd love to just ride beside and spritz chain lube into their cassette, the next time I see them.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:12 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Being old school, I carry an old school tool. - http://digitalhippie.net/mountain-bi...e-repair-tool/

I haven't found anything better in all the years since that one came out. Yes, it's heavy but it has everything I figure I need. The adjustable wrench has come in handy on a few occasions....some of my bikes (and other people's as well at a vintage ride) have hex head fasteners and with a modern tool you're SOL for those. I do leave the 14mm socket at home as it doesn't fit anything I ride.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:27 PM

Topeak Hexus tool with a CO2 pump in my pocket. Even that's too much for me.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Ahhh, none of the above. You mentioned 'road', like a 2-3 hour road ride. Ther than a flat tire, what else goes wrong? I have needed a tool exactly once in 35 years, loose cleat and a stop at a car repair place fixed that. Ymmv and all that but maintain yer bike, stuff doesn't break with a frequency to justify carrying a bunch of tools, IMHO
Well, I only keep one saddle bag with everything I need that I switch between bikes.
Your approach might work for a bike after it is "broken in" but not necessarily one that has just been built up and might require tweaking like saddle adjustments etc.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:27 PM

The thing I do most around here is fix flats from goat heads. I prefer an easy tire rim interface and rely on a Topeak frame pump more than anything else.

My kit includes Pedro's levers, Pedro's folding hex set(screw driver bits in there too), park chain tool, park patch kit. I usually have paper money for a boot and a new tube or a patched tube. I keep a saddle bag and appropriate tube on the bike and rotate the tools around as needed.

Carrying the kit has less to do with fulfilling the Boy Scout motto of being prepared and more to do with the complete, and total, independence I crave/enjoy while riding a bicycle.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Well, I only keep one saddle bag with everything I need that I switch between bikes.
Your approach might work for a bike after it is "broken in" but not necessarily one that has just been built up and might require tweaking like saddle adjustments etc.
Well, that's hardly a repair. BUT a well built bike when new, shouldn't need mechanical attention as it 'should' be 'broken in' before the first ride. I get a giggle out of 'some' who talk about a wheelset needing a 'tune' after the first rides, after it 'breaks in'..folly.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:35 AM
extremely tall

Maybe because I'm fat, (although I like to think it's the massive watts I put down) but I've broken chains a couple of times, so I prioritize chain repair, along with fixing a flat and compensating for (not replacing) a broken spoke.

I like the Park IB-3 tool; compact & light, decent construction, inexpensive, okay chain tool, and all the other usual suspects.

http://www.parktool.com/product/i-be...ry=Multi-Tools

Along with that, I carry 2 extra KMC connector links (which weigh nothing), a tube, CO2/inflator, spoke wrench, a presta adaptor so I can use gas station air if it comes to that, and a $50 and a $10 bill. Whole kit fits in a tiny saddle bag or jersey pocket easily.

If I'm going for a more remote ride in the National Forest where there's little human presence & no cell reception I'll usually bring a patch kit/second tube and a mini-pump as well. And a banjo so I can blend in with the natives.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:52 AM
Administrator

My usual riding EDC...

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edc.jpg (116.5 KB, 139 views)
Old 05-19-2016, 07:18 AM
extremely tall

You forgot to pack the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
My usual riding EDC...

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cowbell.jpg (33.1 KB, 137 views)
Old 05-19-2016, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
You forgot to pack the...
The cowbell is currently hanging in Mrs William's trunk. Seriously, we play jokes on each other all the time. She still hasn't figured out what that noise is when she hits good sized bumps driving down the road.

William