Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Classics Fan

EDC Bike Tool Thread

Ok, what do you folks carry on an EDC "Every Day Carry" basis?

I'm looking at the Lezyne multi-tool, and Crank Brothers multitool line up, though the Y series looks a bit like a gimmick.

I see things like Fixit sticks and the Fabric Chamber Ratchet tool and they REALLY seem more like a gimmick.

PRO Multitools

Then there are some of the more traditional offerings...
Pedro's Multitools
Park Multitools
Topeak Multitools

Chain tool? (Either as part of a multi-tool or separately)
Spoke wrench?

Does anyone have a list of the most common repairs required on the road, and then reverse engineer what tools are required for a 2 or 3 sigma type event? Similarly, do people swap out hardware on their bike so that a single tool (allen wrench, for instance) covers more of your potential needs.

Last edited by MattTuck; 05-18-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:48 AM

I've carried a Crankbrothers M-Series tool for the last 10 years or so. I can't think of a situation when it has let me down in the field and I have used almost every tool on there. It has started to develop a little surface rust and I have been looking at some of the newer designs lately, particularly the ones with a flatter shape when folded, so I'm interested to see what others are using. AngryScientist posted a pic of a PRO tool recently that looked pretty nice.

Last edited by tumbler; 05-18-2016 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Updated to include link to the PRO tool I mentioned...
Old 05-18-2016, 07:51 AM
Classics Fan

^^ Edited OP to include PRO.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:51 AM

I like the Crank Brothers M17 quite a bit, been using it for the last several years. It's got a chain tool and spoke wrenches in a couple different sizes which is a nice upgrade from the M10. I don't think the additional two tools and carrying case included in the M19 is worth the additional cost.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:00 AM

Topeak Ratchet Rocket Lite DX for me, love it.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:01 AM

I try to carry a tool for everything on the bike. The above picture does not have an 8mm Allen, which I now have. I think it's a Bontrager multi tool that I carry nowadays.

Allen wrenches for most of the bike. Screw drivers also, since they're inevitably part of a multi tool.

8mm Allen wrench for pedals (now I check the multi tool for that before I'll consider it). Also for cranks, if applicable. If I had a external BB crank I'd get whatever tool necessary for that. A slightly loose crank is easy to tighten. A ruined crank is very expensive to replace. (and I'm not talking about "your" crank, it could be anyone on the ride with you).

Chain tool just for removing broken links. This is part of a multi tool although I also have a small Park stand alone tool as well.

KMC Missing Links to reconnect chain (with new chains it can be tricky to use a new pin/etc, although I've helped a friend by successfully installing a new Campy 10s chain using a primitive "before Hyperglide" chain tool). I carry a few 10s Missing Links.

I try to carry 2 tubes, at least one in a box (for booting a cut tire).

I have half of a two-lever set from Ritchey. Metal core tire levers with tools built in. My favorite but I lost one of the two levers. I carry other levers as well.

I carry a pump of some kind. On one bike it's a full size Park frame pump. On the other bike the pump doesn't fit so I carry some Blackburn little pump.

On one bike I have two Torx bolts (for the brake levers) but I don't have any carry-type Torx wrenches.

I used to go to SoCal for a winter training camp (staying at a good friend's house). I don't pack tools because my friend is a long time cyclist (former manager at my shop, former leadout man, in the bike industry, etc). I arrived one day and realized I didn't have the key to their place. I was there at maybe noon? I brought my bike bag into their back yard, opened it up, and assembled my bike using my "EDC" tools from my saddle pack (remember, I didn't pack any tools other than the saddle pack stuff). Went for a ride. Came back about when they were expected home, and they were there. The biggest thing that day was the pedal 8mm, if I didn't have that I'd have been screwed. Stem, bars, post, that's okay, and I used my frame pump to get some minimal amount of air in the tires.

In the car I try to carry more stuff. Since I generally only drive to races (it's really the only time I ride outside) I carry as much as I can. I carry extra pedals, cleats, an extra helmet, wheels, plus various tools and such. I've loaned out pedals/helmet/wheel(s)/kit/bike, given away cleats/tubes.

I also carry a pretty loaded road rash kit, with a LOT of Tegaderm (50 sheet box + 11 yard roll), First Aid numbing/cleaning liquid, gauze pads, etc. I've gone through 1+ 50 sheet boxes and I'm about halfway through the 11 yard roll, this in maybe 4 years, and I only gave out stuff at my own races once or twice. I have given out stuff at "regular races" where I'm just a racer. The 11 yard roll is good for long stripes of road rash, the 4"x4" (approx) sheets are what you can normally get at a CVS. 50 sheet box is $30 or less, ditto the 11 yard roll; in the store a 4 sheet box might cost $16 ($4/sheet).
Old 05-18-2016, 08:21 AM

FixIt Sticks with the replaceable bits. They work well, and I can carry just the bits I need given the mix of hex, torx, flat blade and Philips bolts and screws on my bikes. Never was able to get the exact mix needed on the various multi-tools.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:27 AM

Topeak Mini 20 Pro, Michelin Tire Levers, Rema patch kit, spare tube and a Lezyne mini pump.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:43 AM

Park chain tool
Old 05-18-2016, 09:35 AM

somehow I ended up with both a lezyne sv10 multitool and an sv5. the 10 has too much; torx tools and an 8mm hex are not something I need on a ride. the 5 has everything I want to carry on it, minus the chain tool. so I just took the chain tool off of the 10 and bring it along. the rest just sits with other discarded bike stuff.

not sure how necessary a chain tool even is, unless it's a MTB/cx/gravel ride maybe. I broke one once on a road bike, but that was because I stupidly re-joined a hollow-pin chain. idiot. for that sin, I now punish myself by carrying a chain tool and spare kmc links.

otherwise, yeah, just standard stuff comes along. tube, patches, boot, lever, frame pump. I don't see the need to be able to completely rebuild your bike or be prepared for any and every possibility. I prepare for the most likely stuff (flats, loose bolt here or there, dodgy shifting needing a few screw turns, etc) and some spare cash and a phone for everything else.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Ok, what do you folks carry on an EDC "Every Day Carry" basis?

I'm looking at the Lezyne multi-tool, and Crank Brothers multitool line up, though the Y series looks a bit like a gimmick.

I see things like Fixit sticks and the Fabric Chamber Ratchet tool and they REALLY seem more like a gimmick.

PRO Multitools

Then there are some of the more traditional offerings...
Pedro's Multitools
Park Multitools
Topeak Multitools

Chain tool? (Either as part of a multi-tool or separately)
Spoke wrench?

Does anyone have a list of the most common repairs required on the road, and then reverse engineer what tools are required for a 2 or 3 sigma type event? Similarly, do people swap out hardware on their bike so that a single tool (allen wrench, for instance) covers more of your potential needs.
Ahhh, none of the above. You mentioned 'road', like a 2-3 hour road ride. Ther than a flat tire, what else goes wrong? I have needed a tool exactly once in 35 years, loose cleat and a stop at a car repair place fixed that. Ymmv and all that but maintain yer bike, stuff doesn't break with a frequency to justify carrying a bunch of tools, IMHO
Old 05-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Ahhh, none of the above. You mentioned 'road', like a 2-3 hour road ride. Other than a flat tire, what else goes wrong? I have needed a tool exactly once in 35 years, loose cleat and a stop at a car repair place fixed that. Ymmv and all that but maintain yer bike, stuff doesn't break with a frequency to justify carrying a bunch of tools, IMHO
I dig this philosophy.

If you mitigate the chances of small things going wrong, all that's left are truly catastrophic failures, and in those cases will a multi-tool really be enough?
Old 05-18-2016, 10:19 AM

One Pedros folding Torx and a spare tube and some levers. And a frame pump.

Everything else is overkill for the typical road ride.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:22 AM

Sounds like a good time to make a "take a picture of your carry kit" thread, like a pocket dump shoot knife guys do.

Btw, anyone use these nifty Barends?

Old 05-18-2016, 10:59 AM

Topeak Mini 20 Pro, spare tube, patch kit, Lezyne Pressure Drive, Soma steel-core tire levers (for my stubborn tubeless-ready rims), $20 bill, a few antiseptic wipes/band-aids and an expired drivers license.

I keep most items in a Strawfoot ride wallet and toss it in my jersey pocket before heading out.