Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2016, 12:55 PM

Interesting!

You may have seen this study that says drivers give cyclists without helmets more passing room.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...s-to-cyclists/

http://www.bhsi.org/walkerstudy.htm
Old 05-17-2016, 01:13 PM
Older Than You

100% of the time I'm on my bike.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:14 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
i would totally give you props, but i've also never seen your gorgeous eriksen in the park
Dunno about up at the Runcible, which looks like an Amsterdam bike parking lot during riding season, but I have yet to see another Eriksen in the Park or in the wild in town.

As I get less and less riding time, I feel like I loose my 9W cred and rarely stray from the Park. I just don't have the form. But it matters less to me as I re-prioritize my time and the riding portion has gotta give - however can't beat the convenience of the Park.

I keep the weight off and stay in reasonable shape - nuthin' wrong with that. I ride the FTP I can manage and I don't care what it is. Because I don't train anymore, I just ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upon3 View Post
Do any of you guys not wear seatbelts when you're in a car?
HaHa! I wear a seatbelt in a NYC yellow taxicab. I wear a seatbelt while riding car service in the back of a Lincoln Towncar. If they had seatbelts on seats in the subway I'd probably use 'em. Probably habits acquired from years of motorsports on the track and the resultant respect for speed.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKeller View Post
You may have seen this study that says drivers give cyclists without helmets more passing room.
IIRC, the same thing has been shown with obviously unskilled cyclists, or those wearing street clothes...

And for the same reason: "hmmm... maybe they don't know what they're doing... I better move over".

Old 05-17-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
HaHa! I wear a seatbelt in a NYC yellow taxicab. I wear a seatbelt while riding car service in the back of a Lincoln Towncar....

When I was still married to my New Yorker ex-wife, I *always* put seatbelts on in yellow cabs.

If I'm riding up to the corner store to get a 6-pack, I often won't wear a helmet. But I get a very worried "BE CAREFUL" as I go out the door. Not for no reason -- an impatient motorist once rammed through an intersection on my street as I was going through (my right of way). I jumped off the bike just before it went under the front wheels of the car. Proud to say I stuck the landing.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:06 PM
chp.qa

100% stretchy clothes road riding
100% mountain biking
0% citibike/commuter bike

Of course the two times I've split helmets I've been riding in the city, once hitting a pothole and once getting doored... sooooo.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:11 PM
aka RAEKWON

100% all the time even on my commute. I have ****ed myself up more times on my commute than on any other ride (probability I guess since I commute every single day).
Old 05-17-2016, 02:15 PM

Also, if a car hits you, their insurance company will bring up your lack of a helmet to somehow place the blame on you. A jury would most likely read that as the mark of a reckless cyclist.

Tim
Old 05-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

100% of the time I play hockey.
100% of the time I ski.
100% of the time I ride a bike.

I've broken two bike helmets in my life; had at least 4 or 5 big hits skiing (and one concussion before ski helmets); thousands of hits playing hockey. I'm not taking any chances.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:24 PM
The B!

Only when racing, or occasionally if I find myself on a group ride where someone else might take my front wheel out from under me. Headers are where helmets are gonna be useful, and unless a squirrel dives into your spokes, headers really only happen in group settings

I don't try to convince anyone of anything, though. I ride with dudes who are 100% helmet, I ride with dudes who are 0% training helmet, and I ride with dudes who sometimes do, sometimes don't. Generally the only time it ever comes up is when I'm riding with a 100% helmet type for the first time... he'll ask, I'll explain why I don't, and that's the end of it.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
headers really only happen in group settings

as i mentioned, i ride frequently without a helmet, so i'm not a helmet nut, but the logic above is silly. i shattered my helmet on the roof of a car that right hooked me last year, riding alone, for example. i would also argue that you're much more likely to be hit by a car riding solo than with a group, and helmets definitely can help in collisions with motor vehicles.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:30 PM

Always

Every ride for me. After crashing at an old NORBA race I found stones imbedded in my lid. Thought damn, that would have been my melon those were stuck in. Ouch. Always wear mine now, road or off road. Matthew
Old 05-17-2016, 03:58 PM

Aw... poor little squirrel
Old 05-17-2016, 03:59 PM

Old 05-17-2016, 04:15 PM

If I'm on the bike, my helmet is on. Only get one brain and you don't have to crash at high speed to sustain a major head injury. Risk isn't worth it in any circumstance IMO.