Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2016, 06:03 AM

2015 Chorus 11 speed shifting problems

It has only had about 6 months use and it has never worked as well as my 10 speed on my other bike to the point where I prefer to ride the 10 speed. I have two mechanics look at it both are not sure what the problem is. We changed cassette and chain that didn't work. It now could be the shifter but unusual for a campy shifter to wear out so quickly. Anyone else have similar problems.

Cheers

Hainy
Old 04-06-2016, 06:03 AM

...can you describe the problems?
Old 04-06-2016, 06:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hainy View Post
It has only had about 6 months use and it has never worked as well as my 10 speed on my other bike to the point where I prefer to ride the 10 speed. I have two mechanics look at it both are not sure what the problem is. We changed cassette and chain that didn't work. It now could be the shifter but unusual for a campy shifter to wear out so quickly. Anyone else have similar problems.

Cheers

Hainy
??
What's it doing or not doing? Could be a lot of things. Der hanger, housing length and installation, BB guide, internal routing, wee bolts on front/back of shifter, lots of stuff. Shifter isn't worn out...probably isn't cogset and chain..whomever suggested that probably isn't clued on on this stuff.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:32 AM

What's the problem?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
...probably isn't cogset and chain..whomever suggested that probably isn't clued on on this stuff.

Yup. That's the problem. The solution is to find another mechanic or use the Campagnolo youtube videos and installation manuals to install it right yourself. It's not that difficult.

Last edited by summilux; 04-06-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:30 PM

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=163360

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpo...8&postcount=54

Just spent a week dialing in the shifting on a Chorus 11 gruppo. Put the groupset on my Carl Strong and thought it would be automatic. I mean steel frame, no internal routing. As good as it gets, right? Nope. Worst shifting I've ever experienced. Worse than SRAMz, even. Without enumerating all that went into 3 days of forensics, shifting is now about 90% on. Basically, if you run 2015 Revolution, make sure you follow the exact Campy instructions on chain length (um, I trusted my best-in-the-city-30-years-of-experience Campy wrench) and your plastic cassette spacers are in the correct order (the 2.3mm spacer goes between the 3 cog carrier and the 2 cog carrier). Who would have ever thought .1mm would affect shifting. This is what makes Campy both rad and almost irrelevant.

Oh, to add insult to injury, the crap shifting only occurred with Campy freehub wheels. I used a couple of Shimano 11s wheels with Ultegra cassettes and shifting was precise (well, clunky here and there but 95% accurate).
Old 04-06-2016, 12:57 PM

Bought new? Used?
I had to replace the right Super Record shifter body 3 years after installed new (about 1 month after warranty expired). $100, pretty easy install. Cheaper than a new shifter.
After 4 years, I found that replacing shifter cable housing, not just the cables, is imperative. Made a huge difference in shifting.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:23 PM

It is mainly about 4 cogs towards the bottom of the cassette where you have to try and over shift to get it into gear and not always successful. It is an 8 yo custom steel baum bike, no internal routing and never had a problem with the previous 10 speed on the same bike. I still have it and might put it back on. I will drop it into Steve Hogg next week and if he can't find the problem he can drop it down to the local Campy service centre.

Cheers

Hainy
Old 04-27-2016, 06:20 AM

Just to update those interested. Steve Hogg couldn't get it to work and hopefully the local campy distributor will replace the RH lever.

Cheers

hainy
Old 04-27-2016, 06:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hainy View Post
Just to update those interested. Steve Hogg couldn't get it to work and hopefully the local campy distributor will replace the RH lever.

Cheers

hainy
These levers are so simple, hard to believe something is amiss..If you get no satisfaction, send it to me and I'll take it apart and see what's up..did Hogg or anybody else take it apart? I'm thinking it was 'can't get it to work..lets replace' gig.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:38 AM
It An't Me Babe

Rear cassette. Spacer sequence.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:40 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
Bought new? Used?
I had to replace the right Super Record shifter body 3 years after installed new (about 1 month after warranty expired). $100, pretty easy install. Cheaper than a new shifter.
After 4 years, I found that replacing shifter cable housing, not just the cables, is imperative. Made a huge difference in shifting.
Why replace ? Why not repair? Also 'cheaper than a new shifter'.

Guys that buy a shift assembly for parts and continue to repair small bits if they break, is what I'd recommend..me, for instance.

yikes
Old 04-27-2016, 11:29 AM

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...38734#p1223831
Old 04-27-2016, 11:55 AM

One of my friends got a new 2016/15 chorus and the thing was noisy as hell. Wonder if the guy saying that a batch of Chorus went faulty out of the factory.

Thanks for the link.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:03 PM

Sounds like a bad batch.

My 2015/16 Record bits have been flawless.