Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Lanterne rouge

Wow. These labor prices are huge.
I have never, never paid for labor. To that point, I have never let anyone else work on a bike for me.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:16 PM

Unhappy

LBSs are an endangered species, but for me an integral part of my experience as a cyclist. No shortage of bike shops where I am, but my LBS of choice does not sell me anything i don't need, they are all cyclist, and very good mechanics. Sometimes I get the friend of the bikes shop price, sometimes I don't. I want and need them to stay in business.

My two cents.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:36 PM

OK, how about this premium.

I was speccing out a new bike at a shop and we were working on the wheels. I picked out a set of Shimano CX75 disc hubs and Pacenti SL25 rims. The shop wanted around $1100 for the wheels. That sounded a bit high for wheels with a fairly basic set of hubs that you can get for ~$200.

I contacted one of our favorite wheelbuilders here and was given a price of $600 with shipping. Now, that's better.

I talked to the shop about it and they wouldn't budge, so I got them from the wheel builder. I felt bad, but man, I thought that was way over the line as far as getting hosed.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:28 PM

I do most of my own wrenching/builds so don't have to worry about the markups unless I needed an emergency part. The markup is high in most cases. This is probably the fault of the manufacturers/distributors, and its an unfortunate market reality they are forcing consumers to buy online.

The rule of thumb I use is this--if you benefit from the shop in some way, order from them unless the price is unconscionable, e.g., if you test the bike, buy the bike, try on the shoes, buy the shoes, etc. Bikes can be pretty high margin, but it's pretty ****ty to get sized, test rides in, and then buy online.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwess1234 View Post
I do most of my own wrenching/builds so don't have to worry about the markups unless I needed an emergency part. The markup is high in most cases. This is probably the fault of the manufacturers/distributors, and its an unfortunate market reality they are forcing consumers to buy online.

The rule of thumb I use is this--if you benefit from the shop in some way, order from them unless the price is unconscionable, e.g., if you test the bike, buy the bike, try on the shoes, buy the shoes, etc. Bikes can be pretty high margin, but it's pretty ****ty to get sized, test rides in, and then buy online.

I agree with this.

I tried on a Giro Xar helmet from a local shop with cool staff and took two deep breaths then paid their price rather than buying online for less. It felt good.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwess1234 View Post

Actually, the 'bike' in bike shops is one of the lowest margin things sold. And once you factor in the $ to sell, build, service after the sale, etc, it's actually lower. Then add in end of year sales and discounts and such, and free stuff(water bottlles, seat leash, bottle cages, etc)..lower still.

Why small, service oriented shops are doing well, why mobile bike shops are new but doing well. The 'BigBikeShop50,000 square foot' gig is in trouble.

BUT had a few of the last highlighted...spent 30-40 minutes explaining what works with what, what's best, why, etc, ask, 'would you like one or can I order?..'no, just looking'...righto-...and then have the person come in with that new, MO purchased, piece of gear..and the best part is then, it isn't right, he can't make it 'work', and wants you to drop everything to 'fix'..service with a 'smile'..

Morphs to peanutgallery post below..yup..retail in general and bike retail can be 'challenging'...

And for Gummee's post below, the gent frequented the shop but didn't 'know' they sold the frame he bought MO..and was surprised the shop didn't drop everything to find that 'small part'..

I had a customer, who I spent a lot of time talking to ME about Colnago(I sold them at the time)...he then bought from MaestroUK..along with that guy lying to him about new then, EPS('it was pulled off all the bikes in the giro cuz it was failing', when actually he just couldn't get it)..and he was surprised at the $ I was asking for Record EPS, including the $ to install($300)..Ophthalmologist...He bought the group from UK overseas...battery failed, was surprised I wouldn't warranty with Campag, USA...tuff job.

Let's just say, along with cash flow, inventory control and personnel management..this was right up there as to why I said ENOUGH and sold..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 05-26-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:33 AM

My local is a kask dealer but they only have on protone in stock in the wrong size. They are also the sponsor of the club I ride with and a few of the employees go on the rides. Their price after club discount and taxes was $270 ish. I found it online for $199 but didn't feel right about buying it. I do all my own wrenching and really don't buy anything from the shop unless I really need something today. I will probably just pass on the helmet completely because of the difference.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:34 AM

Save for service for riders who need that sort of thing, the LBS model-especially for enthusiasts-is dead. In addition to service oriented shops, I think there will be a future for destination type specialty shops. A couple of these within reasonable driving distance for a special trip several times a year (meaning 150 miles) come to mind. When you factor in the amount of sales taken away from brick and mortar bike shops, I would guess that there are about twice as many bike shops as what can be sustained. A regular riding buddy is a sales rep for a number of "enthusiast level" product lines. Like everybody else in the business, he has no clue where things are going next, but one by one his middle man position is being pinched as more and more companies are going the direct route.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:10 AM

After reading thru all of this, the sqawkers aren't looking for a bike shop but more of self affirmation kind of place the fawns over your bikes, truly appreciates the effort that you put into pedaling your bike like no one else, has a magic drawer full of esoteric parts that are basically free, doesn't make fun of the fact that you're wearing 10 year old Performance shorts in the store on a Saturday and scaring kids/housewives, fixes all your creaky bb's for free while you wait and charges overseas internet prices for the parts of your dreams....and has them in stock. OK then

Consider for a moment that maybe your LBS is looking for something else in a customer. The local LBS isn't dead, just needs to cater to the part of the market that pays and needs their expertise. Given that perspective, an LBS can do quite well. Plus, who wants to ride old stock off the internet, or God forbid, a Motobecane

In many other threads I've noticed a lot of enthusiasm and spending on nice things, why cheap out on something that you love to do and is much cheaper than a car or trip to Europe

Last edited by peanutgallery; 05-26-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:24 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by quauhnahuac View Post
they basically showed zero interest in me. I asked for the part and they looked at my bike and basically said nope try elsewhere
so you stop in with a bike you didn't buy from them, acting like a time bandit and you're expecting the shop to ooh and aah over your MO bike?

Meanwhile, in the back... there's a week's worth of repairs that'll keep the shop afloat, guys who regularly buy stuff from them, and the phone ringing with potential customers (or current customers) wanting something.

...and you just need a small part? Sorry I didn't drop everything to help you out.

Note: I wasn't there. I'm not sure exactly what vibe you were giving off, and how the shop was going that day, but I've had a bit of experience with all the above. Note that I at least try to be interested, but there's just some times I've got more on my plate than shows.

M
Old 05-26-2016, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
OK, how about this premium.

I was speccing out a new bike at a shop and we were working on the wheels. I picked out a set of Shimano CX75 disc hubs and Pacenti SL25 rims. The shop wanted around $1100 for the wheels. That sounded a bit high for wheels with a fairly basic set of hubs that you can get for ~$200.

I contacted one of our favorite wheelbuilders here and was given a price of $600 with shipping. Now, that's better.

I talked to the shop about it and they wouldn't budge, so I got them from the wheel builder. I felt bad, but man, I thought that was way over the line as far as getting hosed.

It all depends if X+$500 out of your pocket is important to you or not. I think for most people it would be. I'm all for giving a good local LBS my business, bit I also don't want to feel like I'm being taken advantage of...which I would in a situation like that. Five - ten percent more, no problem. Almost fifty percent more...I'll be going elsewhere.

William
Old 05-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
so you stop in with a bike you didn't buy from them, acting like a time bandit and you're expecting the shop to ooh and aah over your MO bike?

I'm not saying they should fawn all over a bike brought in to their shop, but good customer service - Even a basic "Hey, nice Bike"...is going to make the potential customer feel good and more likely to frequent the shop. Even if it doesn't, no skin off of their nose and they put good vibe rep points out there.

Quote:
...Meanwhile, in the back... there's a week's worth of repairs that'll keep the shop afloat, guys who regularly buy stuff from them, and the phone ringing with potential customers (or current customers) wanting something.
Which they might get more of by sticking to the above good customer service practice.

There are two shops in my area, one about ten minutes away, and one 25 minutes away. If I need something I head down to the one that is further away. I'll always call first to make sure they have what I need, and their customer service is always friendly and helpful. The shop that is closer either ignored you until you got pissed and either walked out or cornered someone and asked if they were going to help you? The whole time they gave off the vibe that you were bothering them. I don't need that and as a customer I'll take my business elsewhere. This particular shop was sold and under new management so it may be different now...but not surprising with that type of attitude.

William
Old 05-26-2016, 09:30 AM

I don't mind paying for a part in a shop for what they are asking because if I go to the shop chances are it's because I need the part right now. What drives me crazy is when I go there and ask for the part and they say, "We can have that here in a couple of days." Well uhh yeah I mean so can I and in fact it will come right to my door and chances are be considerably cheaper. And I'm not talking about some obscure part, I'm talking about ten speed cassettes and 120mm stems and stuff like that.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Why small, service oriented shops are doing well, why mobile bike shops are new but doing well. The 'BigBikeShop50,000 square foot' gig is in trouble.
Agreed.
I pay a specific LBS for service (wheels, complex repairs, jobs with special tools) and for locating hard to find stuff. My shop gives me a steady discount that makes pricing reasonably competitive. They seem to know their business, and I do not see it as me subsidizing them or paying a premium for stuff - its not like that. They earn many of my dollars on a regular basis.

fwiw My cassettes and other commodity bits are delivered from the internet at internet prices.

the Big Bike shop is off my radar. Big brand bike demo's and transient anonymous staff serves another kind of customer better.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 05-26-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:52 AM

In reality on big items none, I'm not willing to pay more to help out a local shop, especially where I currently live, and the service is horrendous, it's not just bike shops in my experience it's everything. When I lived in a different state and I was taking cycling more seriously I would use shops when I had to, but now I can wait a day or two to get the tool or part or whatever from the internet to do it myself, and frankly know it was done right.

Honestly I'd rather just buy the special tool, then pay to have someone reef on my bike that will cost 75-200% of buying the tool. So that's out.

Bikes. Well it depends, some bikes you have to buy in a bike shop, I have one of those, I bought it in bike shop, however it was a last years model, and was heavily discounted.

My nice bike, I bought online from Europe at a fraction of the cost, and I built it up myself, with tools and parts from Europe. I built the entire bike for 500ish more than buying just the frame here, with EPS.

The reality is, there are the old school people that love the bike shop, there are people like me that got in to cycling in the transitional period, or just before internet sales, and either swing internet or bike shop, and then there's the new age of customers, and I doubt they will be loving their local bike shop unless things change.