Old 05-25-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Why take a chance?
A wise person won't.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
generally speaking, if i have the rest of the roadie costume on: bibs and jersey, i wear a helmet. in street clothes, no helmet.
Roadie costume... I like it
Old 05-25-2016, 09:46 PM

How often do you wear your helmet?

Butt on bike, helmet on head. Always. Entire family. No exceptions. Family roller blades and scooters also. I've broken too many helmets to take a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2016, 11:08 PM

Every time I ride. If you already paid for one or more helmets why not wear them? I see people riding with their helmet slung on their handlebars swinging back and forth. I just don't get it. It would be so much easier to just put the helmet on their head.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:28 AM

I used to wear a helmet every day. As I progressed into showing in breed level shows, it became "uncool" to wear your helmet when practicing. I have gone to several high end trainers that would joke about me wearing a helmet. The thought is that once you have been riding for so long you have enough balance to stay on. It is very stupid but is very prevalent throughout the higher end of showing. If I'm riding at home and I have a bunch of little kids that I'm setting an example for I'll wear my helmet but if I'm just riding with friends I don't. It is just a habit that has been broken by several trainers. My riding instructor used to not let anyone in the ring without a helmet on but now she has become lax on this rule just like everyone else. It's kind of sad. In the show ring it is also preferred that you wear a hunt cap for the english flat events instead of a helmet. You still have to wear a helmet for the jumping but even the rules of the association promote helmet less riding. They do allow helmets but hunt caps are preferred.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:20 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera J. Hogue View Post
I used to wear a helmet every day. As I progressed into showing in breed level shows, it became "uncool" to wear your helmet when practicing. I have gone to several high end trainers that would joke about me wearing a helmet. The thought is that once you have been riding for so long you have enough balance to stay on. It is very stupid but is very prevalent throughout the higher end of showing. If I'm riding at home and I have a bunch of little kids that I'm setting an example for I'll wear my helmet but if I'm just riding with friends I don't. It is just a habit that has been broken by several trainers. My riding instructor used to not let anyone in the ring without a helmet on but now she has become lax on this rule just like everyone else. It's kind of sad. In the show ring it is also preferred that you wear a hunt cap for the english flat events instead of a helmet. You still have to wear a helmet for the jumping but even the rules of the association promote helmet less riding. They do allow helmets but hunt caps are preferred.
uhh..

erm...

some similarities...... but............................. totaly dif'rent ****, yo.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:52 AM

^^^ I remember reading something about a major contributor to head injury being the vertical distance (distance for the head to accelerate before hitting the ground). Makes sense, but there are certainly myriad factors that can change in an accident. If true then slightly greater chance for injury on a bicycle than motorcycle, greater up on a horse. Similarities and differences for sure but probably worse on a horse, especially once you start jumping.

I wear a helmet almost all of the time, except quickly test riding something for repair before/after.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 06-01-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:46 AM

I wear 99% of the time, even in my neighborhood to set example for my daughter.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:48 AM

Yes
Every time I ride.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:57 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

And for the horse:

Old 06-21-2016, 02:14 AM

I wear one for walking around all the time as I may fall over and hit my head or something may fall on it. In the shower too as its a very risky thing to do, oh yeah, up a ladder as well.
In fact I'm going to not go out at all as something terrible may happen. I'll be safe on the Internet though won't I?
Old 06-21-2016, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileystylee View Post
I'll be safe on the Internet though won't I?
No, you'll get a smack around the lughole for being cheeky. So it amounts to the same thing.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileystylee View Post
I wear one for walking around all the time as I may fall over and hit my head or something may fall on it. In the shower too as its a very risky thing to do, oh yeah, up a ladder as well.
In fact I'm going to not go out at all as something terrible may happen. I'll be safe on the Internet though won't I?
You may get 'text neck'....

I hear ya brother, helmets, never 'hurt', may help. On these last few really hot days, last couple of miles, riding alone on deserted MUP, helmet on hbars, ahhhh, really nice, cool....and I have a big $, well fitting helmet. Can my front tire blow, fork fail, run over a prairie dog? Yup but I'll take my chances. Rode by a guy running, noticed his head way higher than mine and we were traveling about the same speed....
Old 06-21-2016, 06:56 AM

How often do you wear your helmet?

Every time I ride, needed it twice, most recently last Sunday

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Jonesman Custom
Old 06-21-2016, 09:02 AM

100% of the time. Now.

But, I have commuted by bike throughout various periods in my career and I now shudder to think of how I used to set out on busy thoroughfares, at dawn, sometimes in thick fog, without a helmet, no lights, and maybe a reflective strip on my thin jacket. This would be considered foolhardy now; but in those days nobody wore helmets.

These days I would feel absolutely naked without a helmet. And that is saying something for a spandex-clad.