Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
Agreed. That sign is a mile from my house.
I live in Los Olivos/Solvang and I'm still a little jealous of SLO.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Agreed. That sign is a mile from my house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I live, unfortunately, in Los Angeles now, and I am always a lot jealous of both of you.
When Jim Kish lived in Grover Beach, and I would drive up to visit...your area was like paradise to me.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:35 PM
The bass playing cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanVarcoe View Post
Yeah, I've seen pros poop out after going too hard on a climb or something.

How bout stopping? Would you recommend stopping for a lunch break of say 1/2 hr or is it better to just plow through?
Most organized century rides have rest stops every 25 miles or so where you can take a short break and take on some calories. I've seen it recommended that you eat around 200 calories an hour, along with drinking one water bottle an hour.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:37 AM

Cadence, that's half the reason I wanted a Kish at the time--to justify traveling there for a fit! Timing just wasn't right, unfortunately, for getting a custom ti, and then he moved. Oh well.....

Steve in SLO: to say I'm jealous you're a mile from there is an understatement! Was there visiting for a weekend with my wife, such a great time. Tri-tip sandwiches & cold beer from Firestone Grill...nothing better. Funny timing on that photo: I pulled over to fix a flat. Couldn't have picked a nicer spot. Next time am up there will send you a PM, would be great to go for a spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I live, unfortunately, in Los Angeles now, and I am always a lot jealous of both of you.
When Jim Kish lived in Grover Beach, and I would drive up to visit...your area was like paradise to me.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:38 AM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Steve in SLO: to say I'm jealous you're a mile from there is an understatement! Was there visiting for a weekend with my wife, such a great time. Tri-tip sandwiches & cold beer from Firestone Grill...nothing better. Funny timing on that photo: I pulled over to fix a flat. Couldn't have picked a nicer spot. Next time am up there will send you a PM, would be great to go for a spin.
I would be glad to ride anytime.
If you like Firestone Grill, we have other places like that and some perhaps even better.
I feel pretty lucky to live where I do, especially after reading the Southbay nightmare thread. It's nice to be in one of those places that still relatively sparsely populated and cycling friendly. That being said, there are still altercations and collisions here, but mainly due to distracted driving, not aggression.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanVarcoe View Post

thanks, now I can rest easy ;~)

Old 05-26-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I would be glad to ride anytime.
If you like Firestone Grill, we have other places like that and some perhaps even better.
I feel pretty lucky to live where I do, especially after reading the Southbay nightmare thread. It's nice to be in one of those places that still relatively sparsely populated and cycling friendly. That being said, there are still altercations and collisions here, but mainly due to distracted driving, not aggression.
I saw some of the SLOBC on Friday out on Higuera and I swear there is not a friendlier, more wave-likely group of humans.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I dunno man. I think I could easily live in LO/SY/Solvang. Maybe even Buellton. or Lompoc!
Old 05-26-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
thanks, now I can rest easy ;~)

Whos that slug in the back wearing yellow raising his arms like he just won?
Haha!

Great finish to an awesome week of racing!
Old 05-26-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOJoe View Post
Most organized century rides have rest stops every 25 miles or so where you can take a short break and take on some calories. I've seen it recommended that you eat around 200 calories an hour, along with drinking one water bottle an hour.

Ok, the more you guys talk about this the more it seems within reach.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
I dunno man. I think I could easily live in LO/SY/Solvang. Maybe even Buellton. or Lompoc!
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm entirely happy to live where I do. It's terrific. I just think SLO is the tiniest bit better, with a greater variety of roads and ethnic food and some cultural opportunities from Cal Poly. And, having ridden Eroica California this spring, I'm still enamored with the coastal hills up there whereas Vandenburg blocks most of that type of riding for us.

But, man, I'm in no way complaining.

Anyone who wants to come up (or down or out) here and ride, let me know. I'm doing the front half of the Figueroa Mountain Loop this Monday morning...
Old 05-26-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm entirely happy to live where I do. It's terrific. I just think SLO is the tiniest bit better, with a greater variety of roads and ethnic food and some cultural opportunities from Cal Poly. And, having ridden Eroica California this spring, I'm still enamored with the coastal hills up there whereas Vandenburg blocks most of that type of riding for us.

Anyone who wants to come up (or down or out) here and ride, let me know. I'm doing the front half of the Figueroa Mountain Loop this Monday morning...
Seen tarantulas out there before. Crazy.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:

I *really* want to do that ride, and the one out to Jalama.

In August were coming back up to camp for four nights in Morro Bay and stay at the Madonna Inn for one.

Were headed up on a Monday morning and I think I am going to go from that really killer kids playground/park in Santa Ynez and do Foxen Canyon Road and meet my family on the other side, Tues-Thursday ride stuff like Prefumo, Turri Road, Hwy 46, Old Creek Road, etc. Friday when I'm back in SLO at Madonna, gonna maybe do another stab at Prefumo. I'll post a few of my pics from my riding last weekend in the thread tonight.

I hear what you're saying on the food, etc. The food/coffee/beer scene in SLO is really getting good. You know where else it's improved? Atascadero, oddly.

Gonna be an epic week of family time and riding.