Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2016, 07:50 AM

Galibier Birthday Challenge

I'd been meaning to do a birthday challenge for years, and with the passing of friend Steve who started the birthdaychallenge.com website recently, I thought the time was right to go for it. My plan was significantly less ambitious than most challenges, but I think Steve, as a cycling climber (or climbing cyclist?) might have approved if nothing else than for the scenery.

Part 1: Cycle 43 miles and 4300 vert gain (1300m) all above 4300ft altitude. I left le Monetier-les-bains at 7:30. It was pretty cold (2 degrees C). I was wearing basically all of the clothes that I brought. First col was Lautaret, and my plan to hop the fence to ride the still closed Galibier was foiled by the disapproving looks of some locals as I approached the gate, and the road department coming down the road with flatbeds loaded with snow moving gear. Getting to Lautaret from Monetier is only 600 meters of "up", so I needed to find another 700 somewhere. The obvious choice was to descend the other side of Lautaret, which I did. After a brief detour up the beautiful road towards Ventelon, I descended through La Grave, turned around and did the grind back up to the col. I grabbed a quick espresso at one of the cafes, and the owner told me that cycling up to the col was totally fine. This meant that I could not resist the call of Galibier, which would have no road traffic! It might not seem like a big deal, but the constant stream of motos and Sebastien Loeb wannabees exploring the limits of their Twingos can sometimes be a drag on this stretch of road. So, over the fence along with a few other guys and up to the top. It was as spectacular as ever with snow walls on both sides. I stopped at the col and on the descent for photos, and eventually arrived back in Monetier. By now I was sweating because it was 18 degrees. In the end, the Galibier detour changed the gain a bit -- around 2k vert, which is 6560 feet. It is, however 4374 cubits -- perfect! Mileage was a bit longer too.

Part 1b: My belayer, who also happens to be my wife, was not feeling great so I brought the kids to the park for a couple of hours, which also gave me a chance to recover.

Part 2: Climb routes that add up to 43 grade "points". e.g. a 5, four 6's and two 7's (US grades of 5.9->5.12). We got the kids together, drove down to Les Vignettes, South of Briancon, set the kids up with some things to do and got to work. The five felt fine and I thought for a moment that it wasn't going to be as painful as anticipated. Then the 6b and 6c (5.10c, 5.11a) made me realise that I had perhaps overestimated my post ride climbing capability. A 6a and 6a+ (5.10a, 5.10b) later I was feeling good again. Then I retreated off one 7a+ (5.12a) and did a different one (ahem) uncleanly which chloe informed me in no uncertain terms still counted. Finally, the last climb was a 7a which I actually don't remember anything about other than having to shake out on basically every hold. By the time my wife finished a lap on this climb it was almost seven. We drove to the nearby Luc Alphand brewery but it was closed, which made me sad.

So there it is, my first birthday Challenge. Very early season Galibier was spectacular. I would have ridden it again on Sunday if every strand of connective tissue and muscle in my body hadn't been screaming at me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0815.JPG (107.0 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0818.JPG (137.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0824.jpg (68.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0826.JPG (116.6 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (127.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0829.JPG (138.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0830.JPG (123.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0831.JPG (137.6 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0832.JPG (88.4 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0835.jpg (52.6 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0836.JPG (129.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0839.jpg (52.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0846.JPG (105.1 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0853.jpg (84.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0855.jpg (63.4 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0857.jpg (60.7 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0863.jpg (68.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0851.jpg (67.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0865.jpg (62.5 KB, 145 views)
Old 05-23-2016, 09:06 AM

Well done, maxn! Sounds like a great way to honor your birthday--congrats!
Old 05-23-2016, 09:09 AM

Still can't believe you rode Galib without me bobbing around in your wake! I mean really, you have no respect. And how'd you get there, via Gap or via la Grave? Signs always say the road is closed but you said that was just to limit traffic. Still the case. Lot of snow up there on the col and with this damn weather it's not going to be melting any too fast. That side of Galib is visually absolutely one of my favorite climbs, and a stunningly fun downhill too. Hell of a birthday challenge, chapeau.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:26 AM

thanks, lefty.

hank, I don't think you would have liked it: it involved hopping over fences and stuff and I know how law abiding you are. And as far as riding, you said the next couple of weeks were problematic!

Getting there: despite my friend who goes up there often telling me that it was open, I was pretty worried until we got past the route de secours. EVERY sign says it is closed, right up through Bourg. If you got to the 2 alpes turnoff and then had to turn around and go another way... that would be a seriously long detour. But no, it was open. The road is bananas though. I hear the new road won't be ready for another 1.5 years. I wonder if we should ride the route de secours?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0911.JPG (91.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 05-24-2016, 12:47 PM

Can't believe more members haven't looked at these pics of Galib in the snow so I'm going to kick this back up to the top for those who missed it.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:31 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Chapeau Max...and belated Happy Birthday! Thanks for sharing....that looks like a great (and tough) way to spend the day.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotel View Post
Can't believe more members haven't looked at these pics of Galib in the snow so I'm going to kick this back up to the top for those who missed it.
Thanks!

Spectacular.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velotel View Post
Ha ha! Definitely appreciate the achievement and the excellent photos.

This one...what a feeling it must to ride motor-vehicle free on roads like these. Wow.

Is brewing what Alphand does now? What a stud.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:24 AM

Thanks guys!

Luc Alphand I think started the brewery with his brother: http://www.brasserie-alphand.com/en/about.html It's not easy to find, which is why Hank, his son Mat and I were so excited to find it *on tap* in a tiny hamlet in the mountains facing Alpe d'Huez a few years ago (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...hlight=alphand).

Here's the other thing Luc Alphand has been up to: giving hs name to a pretty hard core cyclosportive!
http://www.cyclo-lucalphand.com/en/

205 km.. Start in Serre Che, then over Montgenevre into Italy, down through the Susa valley, up over Mont Cenis and back into France, down the Maurienne valley, then up Telegraphe+Galibier and back to Serre Che.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:10 PM