Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 09:01 AM

Question for anyone with Cape Cod Knowledge...

I am having a hard time finding out how hard it is to bicycle out to Race Point Lighthouse in Provincetown, MA.

I get the impression the light house itself is down a dirt road or something, but I can't find any solid info on how hard it is to get out there. Most of the web pages are confusing because there is a paved trail in the area but it doesn't seem to actually go to the light house.

This would be at the midpoint of a 90-100 mile ride, I'm going to be taking my bike that has 38c tires that does fine on dirt roads, I'm trying to get an idea if this is a trail that is really MTB/Jeep only.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Shifty Member

From what I remember and the aerial seems to confirm it, the "road" from the air down station is nothing more than some tracks in the packed sand. You'd be better off riding along the harder sand close to the water or hoofing it imo.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:53 AM

Last time I rode it was a few years ago, but it was a very hard-pack crushed white shell and sand road. You could ride it on practically any tire (I was on light 23 mm tubulars) and there is usually a little blown sand or grit on the road, mostly in turns or in a couple turnouts, but not enough to create handling issues.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I am having a hard time finding out how hard it is to bicycle out to Race Point Lighthouse in Provincetown, MA.

I get the impression the light house itself is down a dirt road or something, but I can't find any solid info on how hard it is to get out there. Most of the web pages are confusing because there is a paved trail in the area but it doesn't seem to actually go to the light house.

This would be at the midpoint of a 90-100 mile ride, I'm going to be taking my bike that has 38c tires that does fine on dirt roads, I'm trying to get an idea if this is a trail that is really MTB/Jeep only.
I haven't been to the lighthouse itself, but I've been to Race Point beach. The road (trail?) to the lighthouse isn't really dirt, more like sand (the tip of Cap Code is very sandy). According to information at www.racepointlighthouse.org, "You can get to the lighthouse by walking or your own four-wheel drive vehicle with the proper permit". Given the sandiness of the area, I would guess that the trail may be a little too soft for 38mm bicycle tires.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:25 AM

A friend of mine whose driven his 4x4 out there a few times claims it is Fat Bike only territory. I may ride down and see what I see, my guess is he's right but if I can at least get down to the start of the trail I figure the view is probably good from there.

Makes me wonder if in the long term I'm going to end up with some weird bike packing 29+ bike or something. There are not that many places around where I live to actually use that kind of bike but it would probably be pretty awesome for a ride like this.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:15 PM

Fat bike if that.

My memory from when I fished out there (10 years ago b/o seals) is that the only access was deep soft sand, particularly where you pass through the dunes.
This clip gives you some idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8uB3c5tG8s
Old 05-25-2016, 05:04 PM

We lived on the Cape for four years and took our city slicker friends to Race Point and other tourist destinations. You can drive damn close--the parking lot (paved) is less than a quarter mile from the lighthouse. Plenty of places to lock up your bikes.