Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I don't get the popularity of carbon rims. They're a tad lighter, but much more expensive. They have a poor braking surface and have heat related problems with rim brakes. I don't like high profile rims either because they suck in cross winds and are heavy.
How many sets have you ridden extensively? Sounds like you had a bad experience.

They are price competitive with aluminum wheels if you don't need a name attached to them. I have never had a problem with braking on carbon clinchers or tubulars. They stop just fine and have no heat related issues. Some higher profile rims are worse in crosswinds than others, it depends on the profile. On high wind days I get blown about a bit on 58mm rims but I expect to. Someday I'll get a set of 38mm rims for those kinds of days. As for weight, my 58mm wheels weigh 1550g. Some would call that heavy, I don't, not for 58mm.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
The design of tubular rims allows for a lot of weight savings using carbon. The design of clinchers, not so much. The "U" with hooked edges. So sure....lots of weight savings going from a 1500 gram clincher to a 1100 gram tubular rim. Not so much, clincher to clincher.
it's true that you can definitely get a lot lighter tub. however, you can also get a carbon clincher rim that weighs the same or less than an aluminum clincher rim. and that's where you want to compare weights: the rim. if for the same weight, you get an aero advantage and extra stiffness, seems like an improvement to me.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:07 PM

I have been thinking of getting my first set of carbon wheels for months now.

Settled on the Boras if I do, but can't decide on 35s or 50s.

Currently riding Belgiums w/R45s, so thinking 50s since the 35s are closer to what i currently have.

I also weigh 175-180, so maybe the added stiffness would favor my weight.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:47 PM

My carbon tubulars are my only wheels that rub my brakes.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:08 PM

It's ALSO worth nothing...that if your wheel rubs, it doesn't automatically mean that it's a flexy wheel...some frames flex, too.

Stand on one pedal of your bike keeping an eye on the BB shell area and a mark on the ground. Push on that pedal...you might be able to see the shell moving a hell of a lot...I know my Ritchey frame would move a whole lot there...if you've got a BB mounted brake, could very easily be rub induced from the frame twisting around the wheel, not the wheel starting to resemble a pringle.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:27 PM

What if one takes aero out of the equation?
Would one notice a difference between a Campy Neutron and a Hyperon, both labeled as climbing wheels?
Old 08-15-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraudingWalrus View Post
It's ALSO worth nothing...that if your wheel rubs, it doesn't automatically mean that it's a flexy wheel...some frames flex, too.
Good point. In my case it happens on my three bikes though.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
What if one takes aero out of the equation?
Would one notice a difference between a Campy Neutron and a Hyperon, both labeled as climbing wheels?

Maybe. Tire profile resulting from rim width will produce different results.

The "feel" of the wheel, IMHO, is derived from its moment of inertia, which influences how much energy is required to spin that wheel up to speed - that's what we experience when we hop on a wheelset that "feels fast."

Check out this post on Wheelfanatyk blog.

I built a pendulum like described in this article and have been surprised at the results.

Last edited by MaraudingWalrus; 08-15-2017 at 07:18 PM.