Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2017, 12:53 PM

OT Geniune Vietnam era jungle boots...source

My jungle boots finally wore out...anyone know where to source the oems at reasonable price or does anyone have experience with modern day replicas?

These boots can't be beat for my creek walks with dogs...support, lightweight and they dry in the sun in about an hour. Ebay wants crazy prices for these things now...I used to pay $30ish for a pair.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:54 PM
Riding Along

Military surplus stores?
Old 08-13-2017, 01:10 PM

A number of surplus dealers carry them but it might take some searching to find the correct size.
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...ngle-boot.html
http://www.armynavysales.com/product...-jungle-boots/

Avoid the cheap knockoffs from China, the quality leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

belville.com

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:19 PM
ZhugeLiang

I hiked around Big Bend National Park during spring break this year and shared a campsite with a nice family with the father and two grown children. One of them brought a brand new pair of jungle boats specifically to use for the trip. By the second hike, he had developed a really bad blister on his right foot around the ankle area. It reminded me of my army days when I always make sure I give it some time for a new pair of boots to break in before I use it in the field or obstacle course, like wear it during a parade or on weekend duties.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:27 PM

The US Military moved away from the regular jungle boots a while back, however I do remember the jungle boots made by Altama were the higher quality of the time. Definitely steer clear of the cheaper knockoffs, they were all junk that didn't last. I would also recommend checking out some of the newer style boots as well, some can be had for cheaper and they still have the vents in the side and dry fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2017, 03:56 PM

for the good green ones not the black ones try ranger joes or any surplus store near Fort Benning GA. they may have a website.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
belville.com

BK
Nope.
Belleville Shoe Company, next town over, is the big military boot manufacturer: http://bellevilleshoe.mobi/?smallView=1 .
Old 08-13-2017, 06:35 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Oops - but I believe it is bellevilleboot.com

At least that's what came up for me.

But they are the makers of virtually any style of military boot.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:55 AM

I would recommend a pair of Nike SFBs in synthetic or leather. After a short break in, the leather ones are as comfortable as the synthetic are out of the box. It's the only duty boot, outside of some specialized boots, I've worn for the past six years.

Real Vietnam era jungle boot, in normal sizes dried up years ago. The US Army stopped issuing them for the most part in the 90s and stopped issuing black toed boots altogether 10 or so years ago.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:11 PM

Last pair of jump style boots that I bought fit so well out of the box that I made a trip back to the Army surplus store and bought another identical pair. The box reads Thorgood by Weinbrenner. I think the company is still around. Bonus. They are made in Milwaukee Wisconsin.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:34 PM
2Retro4U

My Army boots dated from before the jungle boot era, solid leather, no nylon. Kicked myself for losing one of the two pairs. After the remaining pair wore out, I used the LACES for another ten years or so in several pairs of Red Wings.

Here I am wearing my Army boots (and fatigue shirt) in 1976 during a Repack DH race.

I would love another pair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CK010_RDA_A100.jpg (102.5 KB, 101 views)
Old 08-15-2017, 07:38 PM

My Army Combat Boots were issued in size 11 wide in 1966. What I really needed were 12 Narrow. In OCS I bought two pairs of "Cochran" jump boots in 12B. They felt like heaven. I still have one pair that look ready for inspection tonight. The other pair were used for years on motorcycle rides and hikes until I finally found some real motorcycle and hiking boots that fit. That pair was still in functionally good shape when I gave them to The salvation Army.
Oh, BTW, I used phonetic spelling because that was what everyone said when they referred to boots by Corcoran.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 08-16-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
My Army Combat Boots were issued in size 11 wide in 1966. What I really needed were 12 Narrow. In OCS I bought two pairs of "Cochran" jump boots in 12B. They felt like heaven. I still have one pair that look ready for inspection tonight. The other pair were used for years on motorcycle rides and hikes until I finally found some real motorcycle and hiking boots that fit. That pair was still in functionally good shape when I gave them to The salvation Army.
Go on ebay, 12N in the original 1960's vintage are there, new and not priced too bad...i need 12R which are way over $100.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Go on ebay, 12N in the original 1960's vintage are there, new and not priced too bad...i need 12R which are way over $100.
Thanks for the heads-up but I'm not the guy looking for jungle boots. I have a nice assortment of modern footwear for any conditions I may encounter. Heck, I've got footwear for lots of conditions I will NEVER encounter again now that I think about it.