Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
I attempted to put two cross tires on over the past couple of days and I am almost sure there is more glue on the side wall of the tire and the treads then there is on the base tape and rims. Oh not to mention the glue all over my hands.
sounds like you tried to mount the tire while there was still some wet glue on either surface. you want it to be just a little tacky, but not wet still. it's OK though, it happens to all of us. you get better with time.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:06 AM

Veloflex Criterium and Carbon for me. I've got a bunch of the 22mm tires left and I love them.

The wheels I can use with these are going faster than my tire supply. Last year I broke a Nucleon front spoke and haven't yet fixed it. Last week a Nucleon rear spoke went. I'll probably chuck the pair of wheels. They're old and tired.

Most newer tubular rims are designed for wider tires. I am good with wider clinchers, but I haven't really seen the point of wider tubulars. When my supply of 22mm Veloflex dwindles I'll rethink this. Until then, they're what I use.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
sounds like you tried to mount the tire while there was still some wet glue on either surface. you want it to be just a little tacky, but not wet still. it's OK though, it happens to all of us. you get better with time.
Now see, I read.. a lot...that having a wet layer actually allowed you to mount and center it easier.

Good lord, so no wet layer on either the rims or tire? FFS.

ok, would this be how to interpret this. So two to three layers of glue on the rims. (carbon rims, scuff up the bed ever so slightly) two layers on the base tape and then let them both dry until just a wee bit tacky. Mount tire, center, inflate let sit for a bit?
Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 AM

Veloflex Vlaanderen are my favorite tubs.
I like wide road tires in general. The Vlaanderen tubs do everything well and feel great - the cornering is outstanding. I like them just a bit better than Corsa G+ 28s...those feel less lively&quick. The Veloflex Roubaix 25s are nice too.

As much as I like tubulars, I also enjoy the Compass/GrandBois 28 clinchers. They are a bit oversized on the rim and are supremely comfortable when I want that.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 08-15-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Well, if the tire is stretched and the glue on the tire is not wet, but the glue on the rim should be 'wet'..then the push down from top on either side, push, push, PUSH and pull over last part of rim=no glue on side wall. If each is tacky, you may get the tire on but be unable to center it..it'll stick that fast. Wet on rim allows for centering.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-15-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Now see, I read.. a lot...that having a wet layer actually allowed you to mount and center it easier.

Good lord, so no wet layer on either the rims or tire? FFS.

ok, would this be how to interpret this. So two to three layers of glue on the rims. (carbon rims, scuff up the bed ever so slightly) two layers on the base tape and then let them both dry until just a wee bit tacky. Mount tire, center, inflate let sit for a bit?
that's generally how I approach it, yes. everyone will tell you something slightly different though. when I've had the glue be wetter than just being tacky, it goes everywhere way too easily. some can overcome this with technique better than mine, I'm sure.

be sure to deliberately put the base tape into the rim channel as you pull downward. that will help keep glue from the sidewalls. and do likewise on the bottom/opposite half of the wheel. (this is easier too with a well-stretched tire.)

the below video is pretty good for cross tubs. he prolly does a hundred tires a season and does the "let it get tacky for a minute" bit too. leave out the tape if you're doing road tubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okqs-3HgU4U
Old 08-15-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
This is one of those skills that most of us only practice often enough to have forgotten what we've learned the next time we need it.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 PM

This... or the dude put like half of the glue tube at the rim and the other half at the tubular tape, thing I've seen zillions of times

Honestly, the work is so simple that is hard to figure it out for some people.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Formerly rchman

People tend to use too much glue. For a rim that had previously been glued, I removed any big chunks and that's it. I put one coat on the rim and one on the tire, wait about 10 minutes and then mount. With Veloflex, I don't bother prestretching either. It's literally a 15 minute process and it usually takes longer to remove one of my tires.

The other thing that helps is acid brushes. Bulk pack from Amazon is like 50c each.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:27 AM
Ex-Mr.President

ok, first cross race down, tubulars help up like a champ, pretty darn straight with no weird hops. Yeah yeah some of you are gifted tubular gluers, but I suck so it was a mini win for me.

So big win (tires not the race) for me.

Hey at least it is a mini win for me. Now as for how I did in the race, well lets say I finished. Can barely move today, but I effing did it.

I have been suffering from some irrational polarizing fear to try to race again...no freaking idea why, but a good pal came up to proverbial hold my hand and race with me. Felt like a weight was lifted off of my back. Was so fun...well after it was fun, during it felt like ****. But i did it.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:39 AM

If you are old like many here, wait till you have your 1st accident and then you really gonna feel questioning all the racing thing more seriously

Even between young riders, many do not pass the 1st accident at all.

ps: forgot this, congratulations for finishing the race
Old 09-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
If you are old like many here, wait till you have your 1st accident and then you really gonna feel questioning all the racing thing more seriously

Even between young riders, many do not pass the 1st accident at all.

ps: forgot this, congratulations for finishing the race
Thanks man, it was the first race in 7 years and I had a hilarious crash on warm up. Very steep up and down S turn and on the way down I locked up both wheels went sliding down the hill (sideways on my tushy) into the course tape which wrapped around my helmet and face.

Yep...I am that guy.

All in all it was horrible during the race and fantastic when it was done. Loads of smiles and a lot of pats on the back.

Cannot wait until next weekend's race!

oh and Bill (HappyC) my tubulars are still doing their job bay-bee! you would be proud.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:21 PM

7 years is a very long time, but if you have not gain weight as i did is not that hard to come back. Wish I could get my weight down enough to at least finish in the main groups...
Old 09-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Just to pile in.....

Favorite tubie for narrow rims - Veloflex Carbon 22mm.

Favorite tubie for wide rims - Vittoria Corsa 25mm.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
7 years is a very long time, but if you have not gain weight as i did is not that hard to come back. Wish I could get my weight down enough to at least finish in the main groups...
Well, 7 years since the last race, which was a DNF

Then if you recall I was "over" cycling and sold everything. After a few different ventures with motorcycles, hot rod, etc...I missed the bike. Has been about 18months now back on a bike and while I have boat loads of weight to lose, it makes me smile again.

Whatever I had lost in me before wasn't related to cycling and once I figured that out, the bike has become one of the those things that just makes me better.

Whoa, this is supposed to be a thread about tubulars.

So yeah mine stayed on and I didn't die. Two good outcomes in a cross race!