Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Let's keep this going

Now that we've seen many drool-worthy bikes, perhaps we could talk about their design. I'm curious for opinions about what makes a great gravel road bike. I get the thought that any road bike will work; I've taken my Pegoretti places that Dario might never have intended. But I'm thinking about a purpose built all-arounder. I'm looking for a bike to commute on (with rear dropouts that will allow for fixed gear use,) be stable for the 12th hour of a brevet, and allow me to ride gravel/fire roads.
So what do you think?
Geometry: Slack seat tube (72.5) and relaxed head tube (72 or 73 degrees)
Longer wheelbase, maybe something in the range of 430mm chainstays.
Lower BB. Would 80mm drop be too much?
Tires- how wide should one go? I've read 45mm tires hit a sweet spot wrt to tire width.
Fork rake and trail- I have no idea, what do you think?

Steve-who really thought he owned all the bikes he needed, but then...
Old 03-11-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDYTDY View Post
Wanted clearance for big rubber, dual pivot calipers, quicker handling then my Double Cross but not as twitchy as my Crossbow.

Brought wheels with 29mm FMB PR's to the kids at FF and this is what they built around them.

FF0019

http://fireflybicycles.com/category/...dpack-cloutier
Beautiful. This is fast becoming my favourite thread.
What gearing are you running in the last photo (with the FSA crank)?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
Now that we've seen many drool-worthy bikes, perhaps we could talk about their design. I'm curious for opinions about what makes a great gravel road bike. I get the thought that any road bike will work; I've taken my Pegoretti places that Dario might never have intended. But I'm thinking about a purpose built all-arounder. I'm looking for a bike to commute on (with rear dropouts that will allow for fixed gear use,) be stable for the 12th hour of a brevet, and allow me to ride gravel/fire roads.
So what do you think?
Geometry: Slack seat tube (72.5) and relaxed head tube (72 or 73 degrees)
Longer wheelbase, maybe something in the range of 430mm chainstays.
Lower BB. Would 80mm drop be too much?
Tires- how wide should one go? I've read 45mm tires hit a sweet spot wrt to tire width.
Fork rake and trail- I have no idea, what do you think?

Steve-who really thought he owned all the bikes he needed, but then...
Steve,
While there will be tons of answers to this (as there should be), for what you want the first thing that popped in my mind was the Boluder... either the 650b or the 700... I'm sure I'd come up with others if I thought about it... Eric at Winter could build you something awesome I'm sure...

*I guess this doesn't have fixed gear dropouts... not sure of they offer that or not...

http://www.renehersebicycles.com/Randonneur%20bikes.htm

Last edited by fourflys; 03-11-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM

I really like the standard modern cyclocross geometry. Shorter wheelbase than a touring bike and same BB drop as a road bike. Cantis or discs for up to 38c tires (45c is too big) I don't like the Surly huge clearance because it is wacky when using standard 28c commuter tires. I have done fire roads on my steel Bianchi Veloce road bike with 28c tires, which works fine.

I am old school in that I prefer aluminum for race bikes and high-end steel for everything else. Maybe it is because it is just what I am used to.

I recommend finding a Reynolds 853 (or equal) cyclocross frame; then (other than brakes) put the best road grouppo on there with some "dirt drops" like the Salsa Woodchipper and go hit the trails.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlboto View Post
Beautiful. This is fast becoming my favourite thread.
What gearing are you running in the last photo (with the FSA crank)?
27/42 MTB double. Played well with the 11sp chain. Had to put two spacers on the non drive side BB cup to get an acceptable chain line and get the Campy pusher working.

Put it on for Whiteface and Mt Washington et cetera and then left it on for D2R2.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
Steve,
While there will be tons of answers to this (as there should be), for what you want the first thing that popped in my mind was the Boluder... either the 650b or the 700... I'm sure I'd come up with others if I thought about it... Eric at Winter could build you something awesome I'm sure...

*I guess this doesn't have fixed gear dropouts... not sure of they offer that or not...

http://www.renehersebicycles.com/Randonneur%20bikes.htm

Yup. A Boulder with long horizontal dropouts would do the trick. Still not sure about tire size. Would there be any downside to designing a frame to take 45mm tires even if it rarely sported them?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Yup. A Boulder with long horizontal dropouts would do the trick. Still not sure about tire size. Would there be any downside to designing a frame to take 45mm tires even if it rarely sported them?
Yes, (re: 45c question) weird extra clearance on the front fork when running 28c tires. Ever seen Surly Cross Check with standard tires?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Now that we've seen many drool-worthy bikes, perhaps we could talk about their design. I'm curious for opinions about what makes a great gravel road bike.
I'm biased because I own one, but the Gunnar Crosshairs is a pretty much do-everything fairly well kind of bike. Doesn't break the bank either.

I've raced cross on it.
I've gone mtn biking on it.
I've ridden road on it.
I've ridden gravel/dirt roads on it

Great at none of the above, but good at all of em

M
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
Yes, (re: 45c question) weird extra clearance on the front fork when running 28c tires. Ever seen Surly Cross Check with standard tires?
Yeah, I get too much clearance, but aside from a shocking visual, what effect would there be to handling? Once I'm on a bike, very little of it looks good.

Last edited by sjbraun; 03-11-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM
VAV

28 tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
Agree. Tire on pic is 28. That's one the reasons I bought me some 37 ASAP

Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 PM

hate to say i agree, but i do. I put 28's on my Karate Monkey at one point, and it was the doofiest looking thing i could imagine. just put 35 slicks on teh cross bike for just that reason, even though i kind of prefer the speed of 28's. but i'm finding i like the cushion of 35's, and they look nice on my whip. do have to ride in a lower gear tho. even compared to my 32 cross tires.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 PM

If you want 45c tires, I would say get a 29er mountain bike with a rigid front fork. The only time 45c tires are needed is for mountain biking and a cyclocross frame isn't made for MTBing. You see 100k endurance races with a lot of cyclocross bikes because 35c tires are faster. Like Southern Cross: http://www.55nine.com/southernx.html

If it is a style you are after, you could go full "monstercross" Here are 77 pages worth: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/i-...ss-355649.html

Quote:
Yeah, I get too much clearance, but aside from a shocking visual, what effect would there be to handling? Once I on a bike, very little of it looks good.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 PM

Here's Mine

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=125599

I would say design wise the common thread with gravel bikes is slightly more relaxed geometry, longer wheelbase, lower bottom bracket, longer headtube, clearance for larger tires, and sometimes fenders/rack braze-ons.

after that...

I am echoing what others have said but I think it depends on what gravel you would normally ride.

If it smooth dirt or packed gravel I think a 28-33 tire is perfect. If it is loose gravel with larger chunks of rock/gravel a bike designed for 40-45 is ideal.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadub View Post
My Zanconato, clean and fresh on delivery.

Before the fenders went on for the winter.
That's a beautiful bike IMHO.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
Steve,
While there will be tons of answers to this (as there should be), for what you want the first thing that popped in my mind was the Boulder... either the 650b or the 700... I'm sure I'd come up with others if I thought about it... Eric at Winter could build you something awesome I'm sure...

Yeah, Boulders can be customized with items like horiz dropouts for a modest upcharge. Though about it, and decided not to do that. fwiw, the Boulders ride soooo nice - there is not a better frame/fork in the sub $2k range.

fwiw, the Boulder 700c (Brevet) comfortably fits the 40mm XPLOR MSO, but I prefer a 32c cx tire for my local terrain.

Last edited by sparky33; 03-12-2013 at 07:21 AM.