Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckey View Post
Is it one of the premium soft straps? If so that is your problem, that strap is junk.
The new straps?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:07 PM

Yes, the new one. I had the same exact problem with three different ones so far... I am sick of sending them back so I just use one of the old ones that came with my 305. Oh if you contact Garmin they will tell you some crap about flipping the battery over and so forth. If that does not work you can send in your strap with a copy of your purchase receipt. They are really not into addressing the issue with a proper fix.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
Yes, the new one. I had the same exact problem with three different ones so far... I am sick of sending them back so I just use one of the old ones that came with my 305. Oh if you contact Garmin they will tell you some crap about flipping the battery over and so forth. If that does not work you can send in your strap with a copy of your purchase receipt. They are really not into addressing the issue with a proper fix.
What's wrong with the strap though?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:11 PM

I do not know? You will have to ask them. All I know is it reads high as hell one day and it stays that way.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
I do not know? You will have to ask them. All I know is it reads high as hell one day and it stays that way.
It's happened 4 times..and my heart felt like it was jumping so I don't think it's the strap, I'll look into it though.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedNotBroken View Post
What causes clots? The medication or the problem itself?
The atrial fibrillation can cause clots.
They put you on blood thinners to keep the clot threat low. I was on asprin for almost 20 years with no problem. Other people may require a more agressive thinner. Warfarin,(Coumadin), and a host of others.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:29 PM

Have an EKG. I had this issue and ignored it and kept riding. I did have a heart problem, atrial flutter, which has been ( I hope) successfully treated (so far so good). I weakened my heart riding undiagnosed.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
What causes clots? The medication or the problem itself?
I have had 3 cases of A-Fib, and for mine, not only high HR, but also very irregular heartbeat...70-140-95-160-70-, type thing. It it feels strange, like a 2 step in my chest. If this gent's HR is just high, not irregular, then I wouldn't think it's A-fib.

A-fib, when it remains for 72 hours or more, can cause blood clots. I took Pradaxa the last time, some meds and it has self converted all tree times..

12 hours, 5 hours, 24 hours...ALL started after I went to bed...all on a weekend(??).

Not that uncommon for white, middle aged, active men. Pretty unusual for a 21 yr old, methinks(any heart docs here?).

BTW-someone mentioned one of the 'easy' treatments was ablation...that treatment isn't 'easy' on the patient at all. Most common is just this, when meds don't fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nsN0...eature=related

I 'almost' got this the first episode but they were gonna put me out.

Got a full cardiac workup twice and the Doc'd answer, "your heart structurally and electrically are normal' Drink less.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Older Than You

My A-Fib was fairly constant. Around 150bpm...no matter what I did.

Ablation is the LAST thing you want to try. Meds generally fix the problem. There are some new ones on the market that sound promising.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

FNB,

Have you been in to see a doc? This is potentially serious business. I'm no MD, but I would recommend a visit asap.

Good Luck
Old 05-05-2012, 06:10 PM

The old HRM straps have problems at times, too...mine will claim my HR is 230+ when it's actually under 150bpm.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:34 PM

Interestingly, I have my heart rate come up to 170-180s. But it will come down. I'm not as fit and don't exercise regularly as I once have so I contribute the hr to that.

Check your pulse next time. Afib is irregular, do you'll feel the pulse to be in an irregular rhythm. Svt would be more difficult to discern without an EKG. Keep us posted as to what it is.

It's time for me to have my annual physical.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Kevan's Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
FNB,

Have you been in to see a doc? This is potentially serious business. I'm no MD, but I would recommend a visit asap.

Good Luck
Best advice by far. Internist or cardiologist. Preferably a cardiologist, I would think. I also am not a doctor.

Sandy
Old 05-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Campy Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
FNB,

Good Luck
I have an appointment next week and will let you know. Thanks again guys for the advice.

The rate didn't go over 197, the strap is fine. I will let you all know what happens from this. I'm very fit so it's surprising to me.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
I have an appointment next week and will let you know. Thanks again guys for the advice.

The rate didn't go over 197, the strap is fine. I will let you all know what happens from this. I'm very fit so it's surprising to me.

Fitness level has very little to do with A-Fib. You can be a complete couch potato and never experience A-Fib.

I finally went to an electrophysiologist. (Cardiologist that deals with the electrical aspects of the heart.)