Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2009, 02:24 PM

Utah Spring Skiing Question

I’ve been skiing in Utah for years with pals – typically short trips where we stay in SLC and drive up to Alta, Solitude or wherever for the day. This year, I’m thinking of taking the whole family for spring skiing during the kids’ spring break, at the beginning of April. The two youngest (6, going on 7) have not been on skis before. We’re thinking of making this a sort of combo trip – ski a few days and then head south to show the family the National Parks (Bryce and Zion) for a few days before heading back. So here’s the thing: it seems like a much shorter drive from Vegas to Zion than from SLC, which raises the question whether the skiing at Brian Head is any good. Yes? No? Meh? Will it be any good that late in the season? The kids will take lessons and maybe ski with me on baby trails in the afternoon, so they ought to be ok as long as there is a decent ski school. If the skiing is pretty darn good, I can be happy even if it’s not quite what I’d find up by SLC on my own. OTOH, if it’s likely to be slush, or there just aren’t some good runs/terrain with good pitch down there, then I don’t really want to drag everybody there (maybe myself especially) for that. We can always fly in and out of SLC, ski up near there, and drive south for the parks and then back to SLC, but it looks like a trek.

Any guidance?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:33 PM

I heard from friends that Brian Head is a great family ski area. If you check its elevation that might give a hint what Spring skiing may be like vs. Alta et.al. It is an easy drive from Vegas. I used to drive from san Diego to Vegas so Wife #1 could play slots while daughter and I played kids' games at Circus Circus. After a couple of hours we would drive to St. George in time for early dinner and a cheap motel. The next day we would leave around *am and get to Aspen by 5pm. St. George has lots of family motels and restaurants in case that looks like a place you might want to use as a base to tour parks.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Don't know about Bryan Head in April

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg
We can always fly in and out of SLC, ski up near there, and drive south for the parks and then back to SLC, but it looks like a trek.

Any guidance?
Could be iffy... but the drive from SLC to Zion isn't really all that bad. We used to leave at 4 in the morning, the kids would sleep in the car, and we'd still be there by early morning (I think it's less than 5 hours).
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 AM

SLC to Zion is about 5 hours (it takes me about 4 to get to St George driving low 80s.) Vegas/Zion is about half that. I'm an Alta pass holder/weekend warrior and have heard from my in-laws in St George, UT that BH has gotten a ton of snow this year. Plus, you'd probably have the place to yourself. The weather for riding (or golf) in St George that time of year is ideal
Old 02-11-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekudu
SLC to Zion is about 5 hours (it takes me about 4 to get to St George driving low 80s.) Vegas/Zion is about half that. I'm an Alta pass holder/weekend warrior and have heard from my in-laws in St George, UT that BH has gotten a ton of snow this year. Plus, you'd probably have the place to yourself. The weather for riding (or golf) in St George that time of year is ideal
Thanks man. The query was posted in February 2009. We ended up flying to and from SLC -- stayed in Park City for 4 nights and took the kids to the Canyons for a couple of days and then to Solitude. We drove down to Springdale (a good 5 hours or more, not counting stops, which were several), and spent a few days exploring Zion before heading back to SLC for the flight home. Definitely a bit of a trek with three kids and dodgy weather, but it was a great trip.

I'm supposed to fly back to meet a friend for a few days of skiing at the end of the month.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg

I'm supposed to fly back to meet a friend for a few days of skiing at the end of the month.
Have fun---if the airports are open by then.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg
I’ve been skiing in Utah for years with pals – typically short trips where we stay in SLC and drive up to Alta, Solitude or wherever for the day. This year, I’m thinking of taking the whole family for spring skiing during the kids’ spring break, at the beginning of April. The two youngest (6, going on 7) have not been on skis before. We’re thinking of making this a sort of combo trip – ski a few days and then head south to show the family the National Parks (Bryce and Zion) for a few days before heading back. So here’s the thing: it seems like a much shorter drive from Vegas to Zion than from SLC, which raises the question whether the skiing at Brian Head is any good. Yes? No? Meh? Will it be any good that late in the season? The kids will take lessons and maybe ski with me on baby trails in the afternoon, so they ought to be ok as long as there is a decent ski school. If the skiing is pretty darn good, I can be happy even if it’s not quite what I’d find up by SLC on my own. OTOH, if it’s likely to be slush, or there just aren’t some good runs/terrain with good pitch down there, then I don’t really want to drag everybody there (maybe myself especially) for that. We can always fly in and out of SLC, ski up near there, and drive south for the parks and then back to SLC, but it looks like a trek.

Any guidance?
Go to Aspen/Snowmass. Snowmass is awesome for families, they have 5 resorts all within 30 min drive (Ajax, Aspen highlands, Buttermilk, Snowmass, and for the xc types, Ashcroft.

SHORT to non existent lift lines, terrain for anyone, plenty to do. You can fly right into Aspen, or go to Eagle (larger airport) and take a shuttle, or go to Denver and take the shuttle to Aspen. You can also rent and drive... it is only 4 hours or so with good weather and the drive is BEAUTIFUL.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Snowmass is my absolute favorite mountain I have skied from Switzerland to the northeast, and Colorado.

Side note, I know you are talking Utah, but look at Aspen. Hard to beat. Another choice would be Vail (only for the ski school... ranked as one of the best year after year... so is Aspen...)

Teaching your kids to ski should (IMHO) be the priority. You want them to learn and love the sport.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick
Snowmass is my absolute favorite mountain I have skied from Switzerland to the northeast, and Colorado.

Side note, I know you are talking Utah, but look at Aspen. Hard to beat. Another choice would be Vail (only for the ski school... ranked as one of the best year after year... so is Aspen...)

Teaching your kids to ski should (IMHO) be the priority. You want them to learn and love the sport.
Yes, I definitely want them to have fun while learning. It was easy growing up in upstate NY, where the town ran a couple of no-charge rope tows in the public park. More of a chore when you're based in northern Virginia. I did take two of them to our "local" hill -- Ski Whitetail -- earlier in the week and we all had a really good time. (I just worked with them myself off the green lifts and skipped taking my own runs.)

I've skied quite a bit in Colorado, which has a lot to offer, but have sort of given up on it for my own dad's getaway type expeditions -- there's just too much travel time for quick trips, even for skiing Summit County. Aspen/Snowmass doesn't really have the combination of things that are ideal for our family trips. We're leaning towards NM this spring -- staying a couple of days in Santa Fe for non-skiing activities and then heading up to Taos.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:33 PM

El Nino kind of year...

You might consider avoiding northern Colorado this year. We were at Steamboat in Jan and they were more than 100 inches of snowfall behind this time last year. I've also checked from time to time and it hasn't snowed much since we left either.

The locals told me that the snow all goes to south during an El Nino year. Telluride got dumped on and we only got a few inches. The reason this impacts spring skiing is that not much base will probably result in a shorter season. The snow report for Summit County (Vail, Copper, Breckenridge) looks disappointingly similar...

Good luck and have fun,

Tonger
Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 PM

Actually, you make a valid point. Unless some snow comes, Colorado is not looking great this year... Just spoke with my sister (lives in Aspen) and she was complaining that we have all of her snow... I told her we would gladly let her have it... just come and pick up as much as you want.

50+" for DC metro is just insane.