Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2017, 04:42 PM

So, I'm going to buy a new bike, actually 3 of them.

Last week we were burgled. Going down our condo's back stairs for a morning dog walk and the side garage door is open. F-it! I peek in and 4 of the 6 full hooks are empty. Honey's 21 year old Ti Merckx is still there and my 18 year old Serotta Classique is still there. Things are already "Ok".

Sherriff, insurance, neighbors and condo staff involved. One of the grounds keeping guys finds my Colnago EPS stashed deep behind some bushes (for later pick up?) and returns it to us. Yay!

My local bike shop, Vecchio's Bicicletteria, prepared a replacement estimate for my insurer. Jim Potter did a fantastic, detailed, highly professional job. Yes, I am suggesting to you all that you have an LBS relationship, if you can. I will also tell anyone about my extremely positive treatment by my insurer, Chubb, if you PM me.

I have to replace honey's C60, her Yeti cyclocross and my Gaulzetti Corsa. Of course I think I know what I want, but I could use some opinions about Legend Bikes out of Lombardia Italy. The last time I asked the Paceline for bike advice the thread ran for 10 pages before being locked. I thought if Gaulzetti generates this much friction I'll try one. I was not disappointed. My Corsa will be missed. I want a Legend Giau. Any info or opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
Old 08-13-2017, 08:45 AM

Sounds like you have a good handle on the bike you want. I'm interested in the crime. Did they break in or go through unlocked door? Were other units robbed? what did police say, inside job? Did burglers know about bikes, or did they steal the more brightly painted ones,etc.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:50 AM
ZhugeLiang

Sorry for your loss.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=209247
Old 08-13-2017, 11:08 AM

Sorry to hear about the theft but glad to hear it's working out for you.

I have a no questions asked, $9500 policy on my Moots. The local Moots dealer provided a written and verifiable appraisal and State Farm accepted it. The policy is separate from my home owners policy and only costs $100 a year. Totally worth it.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
I have a no questions asked, $9500 policy on my Moots. The local Moots dealer provided a written and verifiable appraisal and State Farm accepted it. The policy is separate from my home owners policy and only costs $100 a year. Totally worth it.
Sorry to hear about the burglary. I was burglarized many years and many residences ago, and it still gives me the creeps. Glad to hear things worked out with the insurance company. With the policy mentioned above, I am surprised more Moots don't go missing each year!
Old 08-13-2017, 06:12 PM

Thank you for the kind words and sympathies. I feel like I have lived a long and somewhat charmed life (I ride on our roads almost everyday!) and I view the burglary as just the price of doing business. A first world problem if you will, with a first world solution. They were just part of the toy collection after all.

Our garage is directly below our condo. No access to our home from the garage. If there had been I might feel differently. Entering the home I would expect nothing but extreme force from the intruder and they would be met with extreme prejudice. I have two medium/large bully breeds, who along with Luna, Finn, Zoe and Archer were on duty (zzzzzzzzzzz.......) in the immediate area on the night of the crime.

I work on bikes in my garage and in front of it and try to be aware of strangers and prying eyes. I do not believe it was premeditated. Stormy and cool night, a perfect opportunity to forage. My neighbor and I are a set of two attached one car garages. He has a gorgeous 1968 Mustang Fastback, with a modest fuel leak. The leak means that he keeps his overhead garage door cracked 8 to 10 inches in the summer, I believe this may have attracted their attention. My neighbor does not have a side door, so thieves see his garage "open" and go around to our side door and it may have been unlocked. Honey parks her car in the garage and the keypad was giving her trouble that night so she went out the side door and hit the close button. She was late getting home and in a hurry. I told both the Sheriff and Chubb it might have been unlocked.

So they open the door, I always leave a light on and right in their face hangs Honey's C60 obviously expensive and ready to ride, or be stolen. Next was my Gaulzetti, then her Yeti, then my EPS. My belief is they knew they had quick gold. They left the two oldest bikes. They left many thousands of dollars worth of wheels and did not rummage through my tool kits or storage lexans. They did not scratch her car or do any damage, just business in Boulder crime. It sucks, but I am unexpectedly bike shopping! We are a collage, tourist town and theft happens a lot. Our turn.

So I was aware of Michelle Bertollini and years ago Rouler magazine did a praising article/profile which left me with the impression that Legend was a bit like an Italian Serotta. Not only am I going to roll the dice on a Giau, my Honey will make an appointment for a fitting this week, she wants a Legend Ventoux.

Our insurance policy worked. We are covered to our policy max for replacement regardless of what is lost. Many of our cycling friends are reviewing their policies and discovering that they may not be.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Thanks Weisan, just a touch large, those are some great frames/bikes.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Small ring

I have had a bike stolen.

I would just say that if you do the insurance adjusters work, it will be in your favor.

I priced out every item that was stolen and provided an Amazon or similar link where I could. I put it all in a spreadsheet format.

Price out things separately, ie: Record FD, Record RD, cable kit, not Record group. Don't forget little stuff like the handlebra you had on there, or the Lezyne/Silca tool kit. and your seat bag with CO2 cartridges. It all adds up.

Rim tape, labor to build, tubes, computer mounts, etc. Pictures help.

I provided a spreadsheet with real replacement costs/links for what was stolen, along with good pictures. The insurance agent was happy to approve without question. She had to do no work whatsoever, and they really don't know how to judge bikes. A Camry? They can price that.

I did not experience any insurance premium bump, but thankfully, that was the only claim I had in 15+ years.

Good Luck, and don't share info publicly.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:35 PM

Sorry to read about your loss. Unfortunately the crime rate in Boulder is increasing. What part of town are you in?
Old 08-13-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
I have had a bike stolen.

I would just say that if you do the insurance adjusters work, it will be in your favor.

I priced out every item that was stolen and provided an Amazon or similar link where I could. I put it all in a spreadsheet format.

Price out things separately, ie: Record FD, Record RD, cable kit, not Record group. Don't forget little stuff like the handlebra you had on there, or the Lezyne/Silca tool kit. and your seat bag with CO2 cartridges. It all adds up.

Rim tape, labor to build, tubes, computer mounts, etc. Pictures help.

I provided a spreadsheet with real replacement costs/links for what was stolen, along with good pictures. The insurance agent was happy to approve without question. She had to do no work whatsoever, and they really don't know how to judge bikes. A Camry? They can price that.

I did not experience any insurance premium bump, but thankfully, that was the only claim I had in 15+ years.

Good Luck, and don't share info publicly.
Words of wisdom. I feel I have already walked right up to the line of sharing too much information, but I will take that risk and share info here if it can help others. Plus I am stupidly excited to be bike shopping! A new steel side door? Auto locking keypad on it? I wouldn't be surprised to see it soon. And any new bikes might be living in the condo for quite awhile.

Jim and Peter at Vecchio's built all the bikes and wheels which were stolen, so with photos and a spreadsheet to refresh Jim's memory he priced out everything at today's MSRP. That is probably the best way to estimate the replacement cost on this kind of loss. Chubb would probably have just taken my word for the replacement cost, they are that good and this is our first claim in over 27 years. If we had done that without Jim's professional estimate we would have been low.

Gubarrel, Boulder's suburb.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:03 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbk View Post
Last week we were burgled. Going down our condo's back stairs for a morning dog walk and the side garage door is open. F-it! I peek in and 4 of the 6 full hooks are empty. Honey's 21 year old Ti Merckx is still there and my 18 year old Serotta Classique is still there. Things are already "Ok".

Sherriff, insurance, neighbors and condo staff involved. One of the grounds keeping guys finds my Colnago EPS stashed deep behind some bushes (for later pick up?) and returns it to us. Yay!

My local bike shop, Vecchio's Bicicletteria, prepared a replacement estimate for my insurer. Jim Potter did a fantastic, detailed, highly professional job. Yes, I am suggesting to you all that you have an LBS relationship, if you can. I will also tell anyone about my extremely positive treatment by my insurer, Chubb, if you PM me.

I have to replace honey's C60, her Yeti cyclocross and my Gaulzetti Corsa. Of course I think I know what I want, but I could use some opinions about Legend Bikes out of Lombardia Italy. The last time I asked the Paceline for bike advice the thread ran for 10 pages before being locked. I thought if Gaulzetti generates this much friction I'll try one. I was not disappointed. My Corsa will be missed. I want a Legend Giau. Any info or opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
****e! Bob, I read it today and realize who you are..crap!

Think another C60 and another Gaulzetti...cuz I know you liked the ride of those 2.

Yep, Jim is a class act.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:03 AM

Preventing Stolen Bikes

Sorry to hear about your loss. I live in San Francisco and we are one of the top cities in the country for stolen bikes. There was just a recent study that disclosed a vast majority of bikes are stolen from garage's NOT from being u-locked on the street. We seen a huge increase in the the number of bikes on the road as our city is pouring tons of money into bicycle infrastructure. It's great. Down side is more bikes are getting stolen. Most are opportunistic grab and runs. Some are targeted, especially if they happen to see some expensive toys.

I would suggest that if you have expensive bikes in a garage, to keep a locked with cable looped around them anchored to an eye bolt. This will prevent the quick grab and it's highly unlikely the their will stick around to get it undone. Basically you are just adding time, their worst enemy. It's a pain in the ass, but it will add some piece of mind.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbk View Post
Thank you for the kind words and sympathies. I feel like I have lived a long and somewhat charmed life (I ride on our roads almost everyday!) and I view the burglary as just the price of doing business. A first world problem if you will, with a first world solution. They were just part of the toy collection after all.

Our garage is directly below our condo. No access to our home from the garage. If there had been I might feel differently. Entering the home I would expect nothing but extreme force from the intruder and they would be met with extreme prejudice. I have two medium/large bully breeds, who along with Luna, Finn, Zoe and Archer were on duty (zzzzzzzzzzz.......) in the immediate area on the night of the crime.

I work on bikes in my garage and in front of it and try to be aware of strangers and prying eyes. I do not believe it was premeditated. Stormy and cool night, a perfect opportunity to forage. My neighbor and I are a set of two attached one car garages. He has a gorgeous 1968 Mustang Fastback, with a modest fuel leak. The leak means that he keeps his overhead garage door cracked 8 to 10 inches in the summer, I believe this may have attracted their attention. My neighbor does not have a side door, so thieves see his garage "open" and go around to our side door and it may have been unlocked. Honey parks her car in the garage and the keypad was giving her trouble that night so she went out the side door and hit the close button. She was late getting home and in a hurry. I told both the Sheriff and Chubb it might have been unlocked.

So they open the door, I always leave a light on and right in their face hangs Honey's C60 obviously expensive and ready to ride, or be stolen. Next was my Gaulzetti, then her Yeti, then my EPS. My belief is they knew they had quick gold. They left the two oldest bikes. They left many thousands of dollars worth of wheels and did not rummage through my tool kits or storage lexans. They did not scratch her car or do any damage, just business in Boulder crime. It sucks, but I am unexpectedly bike shopping! We are a collage, tourist town and theft happens a lot. Our turn.

So I was aware of Michelle Bertollini and years ago Rouler magazine did a praising article/profile which left me with the impression that Legend was a bit like an Italian Serotta. Not only am I going to roll the dice on a Giau, my Honey will make an appointment for a fitting this week, she wants a Legend Ventoux.

Our insurance policy worked. We are covered to our policy max for replacement regardless of what is lost. Many of our cycling friends are reviewing their policies and discovering that they may not be.
I woke up and saw this. I'm sorry for your loss. Anything I can do to help, feel free to message me. As a Legend dealer, I would be more than happy to help. In an effort not to come across as a salesman, I can lend a wealth of information about the Legend brand and it's history. If you already have a fitting, I can take that price off of the cost of a new frame.
Kindest regards,
Eric
info@elitevelosolutions.com

Last edited by EliteVelo; 08-14-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the nice comments and offers everyone. "If" nothing else goes wrong in my world, Ha!, this could turn out to be a fun thing. Attitude is almost everything to me.

Peter, the a-holes got the last set of beautiful wheels you built for us. DA 9000 hubs, DT rims, this set made the Gaulzetti ride superbly. Hmmm... they left two easy to grab DA C24 wheel sets, what do they know that I don't.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:18 PM

I think you mean Marco Bertoletti at Legend.