Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Maybe someone else with more MTB racing experience than me can comment, my racing was a long time ago, perhaps before I even really knew what Threshold means, but MTB is not cyclocross... you don't want to go quite as intense as you need to maintain concentration + some energy reserves to deal with the technical stuff. For me if I ride too close to threshold too long it's almost a guarantee I'm going to be too cooked to jump a log or get up that short 30% section or whatever that you need to deal with in MTB.
i dont think i've ever had to walk due being flat out at a loss for energy because everytime i have that situation, my body finds some energy creeping somewhere inside me to use.
-however, i have had to walk my MTB a few times because i lacked the skills necessary to go up a huge hill, my back wheel was spinning out, and i didn't know where to place my weight. perhaps someone here can tell me how to distribute my weight going up a steep trail?
Old 08-14-2017, 03:35 PM

What I was getting at was if I'm on the easy flatter section and I'm right at my threshold HR or above and then I have to stand up and bunny hop a lot while going up a steep uphill I'm not going to have the anaerobic reserve to do that without blowing up. If I "blow up" I don't have anything in reserve for technical stuff.

If I pace myself a little more on the easier section I'll have that burst available to clear the super steep stuff/jump the log/keep my rear wheel from spinning on the uphill gravel, etc..

I should have said HR or something I guess.. if you're thinking power that'd be different, but I've never used a PM on a MTB.

Everyone has a limit but some of what you're talking about with spinning the rear tire has to do with bike fit.