Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 02:29 PM

OT: Birthday Gift for Runner Wife

My wife's birthday is quickly approaching, and she needs a gift. We generally buy what we want (within reason) when we want it, so there's nothing she's really been looking for, which means I need some good ideas. Our 5-year-old wants to get her a paintable stormtrooper helmet so he can paint it, but she hates Star Wars, so that's not the best idea.

Her main hobby/pursuit (aside from being a wife, mother, and attorney) is running. She's just started a new training program for an October marathon, so I'm thinking of buying something running-related. She just got new shoes, has the latest Fitbit, and I've previously gotten her a GPS watch, and I know she has a couple gift cards for clothes at Athleta. Any ideas from you all?

I'm considering getting a fancy wifi smart scale because she would absolutely use it, but just the notion of buying a wife a bathroom scale for her birthday might get me divorced. Am I totally effed if I do this?
Old 08-11-2017, 02:36 PM

I have a runner wife too. I get her running gifts all the time. Some of the hits have been; a lightweight running jacket (Brooks makes some nice ones), a light rain jacket (they're different), headlamp, Tracksmith clothing (the Rapha for runners), or some fall/winter gear.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:45 PM

You can never go wrong with good socks.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Why not a leg massage appointment for the day before her marathon from a massage therapist who specializes in athletes?
Old 08-11-2017, 03:09 PM

My ultrarunner partner loves this stuff: http://www.oiselle.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQ...YaAhO3EALw_wcB

Also, one pair of shoes is never enough, especially if race day is coming.

Also maybe a month of coaching with CTS?
Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

No go on the scale. I'd go strava premium membership, trigger point stuff, and socks.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:48 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurto View Post
My wife's birthday is quickly approaching, and she needs a gift. We generally buy what we want (within reason) when we want it, so there's nothing she's really been looking for, which means I need some good ideas. Our 5-year-old wants to get her a paintable stormtrooper helmet so he can paint it, but she hates Star Wars, so that's not the best idea.

Her main hobby/pursuit (aside from being a wife, mother, and attorney) is running. She's just started a new training program for an October marathon, so I'm thinking of buying something running-related. She just got new shoes, has the latest Fitbit, and I've previously gotten her a GPS watch, and I know she has a couple gift cards for clothes at Athleta. Any ideas from you all?

I'm considering getting a fancy wifi smart scale because she would absolutely use it, but just the notion of buying a wife a bathroom scale for her birthday might get me divorced. Am I totally effed if I do this?
this is unacceptable to me but she is YOUR wife , so what about a day at a spa or better yet a couples spa deal.

I get the gift idea, but spending some time with you alone being pampered might be cool to her.

If you really want a gift, what about some sort of therapeutic device to help her recover after her running/training. You know like those sticks we buy to roll the lactic acid out of our legs?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:11 PM

I would buy yourself a new bike then ride along beside her while she runs to keep her company.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:16 PM

Not sure how much you what to spend, but would she appreciate a nice fountain pen?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:24 PM

Not sure where your located, here in Sacramento it gets HOT. Lot of the ladies my wife runs with use light weight sun protection clothing.
Running shoes wear fast, good gift for a runner if you know size, foot type and brand she likes.

Last edited by Tony; 08-11-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:19 PM

Jewelry/clothes/soaplotionbathproducts, and a handwritten note at least a paragraph long. You can't go wrong! Then plan an evening or weekend adventure for just the two of you. Local concert, zoo, hike... picnic.

Data point--married for 6 years, time and surprises seem to be the most valuable gifts to give each other at this point because we share the same bank accounts and if there are material objects we really can't live without we usually find a way to buy them anyway!
Old 08-11-2017, 06:56 PM

Nu Shuz
Old 08-11-2017, 08:05 PM

Get her the scale, but put it in a box for a vacuum cleaner. That way when she opens the box she'll be pleasantly surprised instead of mad.

Marriage is all about managing expectations.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:20 PM

Money is wasted on things that don't bring experiences. Sounds like she has all the things needed to go for a run, but could you bring her someplace she's always wanted to run and never has? Maybe hire a running coach? Or enroll in a running camp or training program? You could arrange some kind of running party with her gal-pals in a vacation-like location. I say she gets the storm trooper helmet too. She'll love it if she decorates it with her child even if there is no room in her heart for the force...

Last edited by dustyrider; 08-11-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:35 PM

A bike. Cross training, yaknow.