Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 06:54 PM

I recently rode the new track in Milton Ontario, very nice facility and an excellent 'get to know the track' program for first timers like me. Reading is a little closer (and no international border) from where I'm at, outside Syracuse. I welcome the opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 10:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pncguy View Post

What I was getting at is that Boulder would be one place I can't imagine a velodrome failing if it would succeed anywhere.

And my brother-in-law would reply to your wife's thinking on the civilized world with: "what, you mean it doesn't end there?"
At last count there were 8 proposals for velodromes in and around Boulder proper. All were shot down either by Boulder City council, Boulder county commissioners, mostly cuz of 'nimby' voices. One on SouthBoulder Road, huge, Livestrong backing, $35million, indoors along with cancer research facility...land PAID FOR(donated)...but a lady across the street, next to a mega-church whined about 'traffic'...huh? So no guarantee of success. The one in Erie is doin 'just ok'..it's in Erie, pretty sure.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
She's partially correct, we just call it Pennsyltucky
And here I thought Pennsylvtucky was just made up by the Netflix series. I went to Lower Merion HS but never heard of the term until watching the series...

In all honesty, I hope this things comes to fruition. I heard that someone planned to build an indoor velodrome in Pittsburgh, but I have no idea what became of that.

Last edited by echappist; 08-12-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Pack fill

I live 5 miles west of Reading and this is 95% a done deal. The WCL has team up with Albright College to develop this project. Albright is providing the land, the velodrome will be part of the business school curriculum. I have seen the preliminary plans and it is more than a bike track. The plan is to have it ready to host the first events in the fall/winter of 2018. When they break ground I will take some pictures.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

It wouldn't be an article about Ben if the term "world class" didn't show up somewhere.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I heard that someone planned to build an indoor velodrome in Pittsburgh, but I have no idea what became of that.
I occasionally ride with the guy that was spearheading that. My understanding is that geotechnical and local zoning issues have derailed the project. Which is too bad, because he already had foundations and the superstructure in place. It would have been a great facility for Pittsburgh and the region.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:07 AM

Good for Ben, hope it goes well.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keevon View Post
I occasionally ride with the guy that was spearheading that. My understanding is that geotechnical and local zoning issues have derailed the project. Which is too bad, because he already had foundations and the superstructure in place. It would have been a great facility for Pittsburgh and the region.
thanks for the info. It's a royal shame that the foundation and superstructure are for naught now...
Old 02-01-2018, 09:31 PM

Greg LeMond will be chairman of the board:

http://www.lvb.com/article/20180201/...elodrome-board

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/indus...n#.WnPby9QrK9I
Old 02-01-2018, 09:41 PM
ZhugeLiang

They should hire 11.4 pal.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:22 AM

C'mon, everyone knows most hipsters don't have cars...how are they gonna get all those fixies up to Reading ??
Old 02-02-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
We need a velodrome in DC metro, actually Purcelville VA would be a great location for that. A lot of land, 3 airports around, small town... etc etc.
Too bad the D.C. velodrome plans fell through.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:03 AM

Chauner has a bit of a history. After the Philly race collapsed, he left a large debt with the city and with numerous others.

He was involved in the failed Pittsburg project. He was well along into the planning phases of an indoor velo in Coatesville Pa http://www.r2architects.com/velodrome/ and also attempted Delaware and Philly. He has had prominent cyclists involved in all of these projects.

One can either view this as the culmination of a lifetime dream, or one more effort to be viewed with deep skepticism.

Oh, and Detroit has an indoor on the books too. Given that the last one actually built was LA, I'll not hold my breath.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:56 AM

Yes, Chauner is behind the WCL and has been trying to build a "home velodrome" for it for a long time - he was behind the Pittsburgh project too.

The reason there are all of these "velodrome proposals" that never get built is because people try. These projects always have to raise interest, money, and supporters, and so go public before they are sure things. Of course. As with anything, there's a ratio of unsuccessful ones to successful ones. I'm just glad people are trying to build new tracks.

The facility in Reading seems like it has some traction. We'll see if it comes to fruition.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I know there are a few racers from the DC area that go up to T-Town, but that 3.5-4hr drive is just way too long for most of us that would love to have a track.

I'd drive the 90min to Richmond first. Maybe eve B-more if they could finagle one.

A velodrome in the DC area is one of those 'if I win the lottery' kinds of dreams for me. I'd love to be able to race track again. Miss it.

M