Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 03:22 PM
AZ Slowpoke

First Carbon Bike

Up until this point I have been on steel and aluminum bikes. Now, I'm just beginning the thought processes of getting my first carbon bike. I'm going to set the budget at a measly $3000. I would like to have at a minimum 6800 Ultegra, though to be honest I have nothing against the 11-speed 105. I would like to have 50mm deep section wheels that are tubeless capable. I like an "aggressive" "race" geometry for this kind of ride and I'd like it to be an "aero race" bike.

I think most of my miles will still be on my old reliable Giant TCR on Ksyrium Elite wheels that has proven itself to be pretty bulletproof. This bike will be for my "races", which are the occasional century, metric, etc., and for some Merckx style TTs that I like doing. It'll probably also find it's way into my faster group rides.

The offering that I've found that my mind keeps going back to is the Giant Propel Advanced 1.

Which seems to check all of the right boxes and is very close to the desired price point.

Does anyone have some suggestions that maybe I haven't considered?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:32 PM

Propel

Propel brakes are awful if that matters.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:42 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Propel brakes are awful if that matters.
How so?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:56 PM

I'd be much more inclined to go with one of their road Advanced models. I don't know anything about those brakes, but the cable routing is wonky. For my money I'd go with one with traditional caliper brakes.

That said, Giant is good bike. I own one and am generally quite pleased with it.

As to the premise of the thread, carbon is a great material for a bike frame.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:07 PM

Haven't ridden one personally, but a buddy rides a propel regularly and has no complaints about the brakes, though he usually descends a lot faster than me here in the Hills.

Giant makes great stuff. I'm a big fan of my TCX Advanced and they would be on the short list of any carbon bike I'd get. Their TCR is really, really nice.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:34 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Haven't ridden one personally, but a buddy rides a propel regularly and has no complaints about the brakes, though he usually descends a lot faster than me here in the Hills.

Giant makes great stuff. I'm a big fan of my TCX Advanced and they would be on the short list of any carbon bike I'd get. Their TCR is really, really nice.
I agree, and I'd add that Giant tends to punch above it's weight at given price points.

I have a TCR2 which is the one-year hydroformed ALUX SL frame. I have about 17,000 miles on it and I still love it. It's light and stiff in the right ways. It came with Tiagra components but I have since upgraded to 5800. The geometry fits me well for how I ride. I'll definitely keep that bike until its worn out. What it isn't though, is aero. The bladed fork is fine, but the downtube is this giant square shaped brick in the air. I guess the newer carbon TCRs are better aero, but, I feel like that would be duplicating what I already have too much.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
I agree, and I'd add that Giant tends to punch above it's weight at given price points.

I have a TCR2 which is the one-year hydroformed ALUX SL frame. I have about 17,000 miles on it and I still love it. It's light and stiff in the right ways. It came with Tiagra components but I have since upgraded to 5800. The geometry fits me well for how I ride. I'll definitely keep that bike until its worn out. What it isn't though, is aero. The bladed fork is fine, but the downtube is this giant square shaped brick in the air. I guess the newer carbon TCRs are better aero, but, I feel like that would be duplicating what I already have too much.
Honestly, I think the TCR would replace that ALUX SL frame. at TCR carbon would be an ideal do-it-all road bike for what you described, I'd think.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:55 PM

I have ridden both, and agree with the sentiment here - get the TCR road bike. The Propel, especially the Advanced 1 model you are looking at, isn't as comfortable or as confident inspiring, imho. Aero frames are more fashion than function for most. The TCR is a fine all around bike and it will never hold you back.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 PM

But...he already owns a TCR.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:59 PM

Local friend was riding a Propel Advanced SL...says the brakes are horrible. He bought a BH G7 and is parting out the Giant.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
But...he already owns a TCR.
the alloy, not the carbon if I'm understanding his post.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:16 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
the alloy, not the carbon if I'm understanding his post.
Correct, but this isn't the "normal" alloy frame, it's the lighter weight hydroformed one. The geometry is the same as the carbon TCRs but with shaped and larger tubes. On my way home I stopped at my LBS and inquired about the 2018 TCR and learned that there are some differences in geometry for this year.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 PM

Spend an extra $500

Get this:
http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016...MESET-AR1.aspx

with a pair of used deep profile carbon tubulars and a group from the UK

or

Get this:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016.../aero/AR5.aspx

and spend a few days on Weight Weenies to find the perfect Chinese-made, carbon clincher wheelset

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...f=113&t=103936
Old 08-11-2017, 12:31 AM

How about a Ridley Fenix SL? I have an Excalibur that I just love. When I replace it, it will be with a Fenix.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:08 AM

how about cannondale EVO ultegra ?