Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 08:23 PM
aka RAEKWON

this is a hell of a deal. I have a similar bike (all steel though) but I am still tempted not going to lie. I like the blue power the best.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 PM

Geometry seems unusual, reach is really long on the smaller frames. Otherwise I'd be interested.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 PM

I had a blue on order prior to the shipment. When it came in one of the guys running the show gave me a call to break the news about the weight. The extra weight supposedly is from too thick of butting in the tubes. They gave me a few options including refunding 1/2 my cost if I kept the "heavier" frame. This was before they announced this program to the public.

Bottom line they were super easy to deal with and stood behind their product. They could have easily slipped these passed some buyers. I have it here to build up and the blue looks pretty cool. I agree that this is too good a deal to pass up when you compare the options.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:42 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
I had a blue on order prior to the shipment. When it came in one of the guys running the show gave me a call to break the news about the weight. The extra weight supposedly is from too thick of butting in the tubes. They gave me a few options including refunding 1/2 my cost if I kept the "heavier" frame. This was before they announced this program to the public.

Bottom line they were super easy to deal with and stood behind their product. They could have easily slipped these passed some buyers. I have it here to build up and the blue looks pretty cool. I agree that this is too good a deal to pass up when you compare the options.
did you decide to just keep the frame at half off?

also, how much does the frame and fork weight? what size?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:

This is the benefit of dealing with a smaller company. Never would have happened with QBP.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:36 PM

Reach and stack seem a bit long and low for a bike with some of the other specs (really large tires, highish BB) but I guess it makes sense in the "be as many things to as many people" theory. I'd need too many spacers for a drop bar build.

Still, it's hard to argue with the price. That's a heckuva lot of features for $700. If the aesthetics did it for me I'd seriously consider a flat bar build on one of these.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
These guys are super cool and great to deal with. I love my Trail Donkey and if I didn't already have it, I'd be on this with the quickness.
Concur. My Spork, pre-ordered, was delivered right on schedule, and they have consistently had 24 hour response time on email.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
did you decide to just keep the frame at half off?

also, how much does the frame and fork weight? what size?
They gave me a few options, one of which was waiting for the revised version, but I didn't feel like waiting just to save a few grams and pick up one or two new features. So yes I kept the v3 of the frameset (i.e. out of spec model) and they refunded me 1/2 of my original purchase price.

I ended up with a 54cm frame, which by the way, one of their techs reached out to me with my sizing question and provided great support and insight to help me decide. The 54cm on my Park scale weighs in at 6.5# and the Spork is 1lb 6oz. The frame weight is with the sliding dropouts and post collar. It's not the lightest steel frame out there, but for the price and features it made sense. I have a nice light set of Enve carbon hoops that will help keep it respectable.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:00 AM
aka RAEKWON

6.5 lbs sounds like a lot, but I mean thats about 2.5 # than a comparable steel frame but at that price. Fork alone is $420 so you getting that frame for peanuts and it does look nice. That said, that is a lot of gained weight, frame now weights more than a surly.

I wonder how the thicker tubing affects the ride, maybe not at all

Last edited by R3awak3n; 08-10-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
6.5 lbs sounds like a lot, but I mean thats about 2.5 # than a comparable steel frame but at that price. Fork alone is $420 so you getting that frame for peanuts and it does look nice. That said, that is a lot of gained weight, frame now weights more than a surly.

I wonder how the thicker tubing affects the ride, maybe not at all
Agree. I talked to them quite a bit on the tubing issue and they felt there was no difference in ride quality. None of their guys could notice the difference and they have 100's of hours testing out the original spec frame. Their main concern was not passing along a frame heavier than what was spec'd. I will report back with built weight and ride etc. once I get this wrapped up.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Agree. I talked to them quite a bit on the tubing issue and they felt there was no difference in ride quality. None of their guys could notice the difference and they have 100's of hours testing out the original spec frame. Their main concern was not passing along a frame heavier than what was spec'd. I will report back with built weight and ride etc. once I get this wrapped up.
Looking really forward to seeing that.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:53 AM

I count five colors on the tricolor. "Buy now, and get two free colors!"
Old 08-10-2017, 11:01 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
that is the most important thing. Also I am impressed on how great of company they seem to be. Very nice.

Looking forward to get your opinions.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:03 PM

Any update on the ride quality? I am thinking about getting one before this sale goes away...
Old 09-06-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnenrb View Post
Any update on the ride quality? I am thinking about getting one before this sale goes away...
Better act fast lots of the sizes are gone! I passed. Spent my wad on 1x11 xt for my hardtail and have money left over for some mtbing trips this fall/winter!