Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2017, 08:17 PM

Is it possible to buy an new Lapierre bike in the US in 2017?

Last I heard the US office was closed/never got rolling with no dealers in the USA. Is there anyone out there holding out and getting any from Europe to resell here?
Old 08-08-2017, 09:05 PM

Lapierre is owned by Raleigh USA. I know of one person (in Canada) who just got one, so it should definitely be possible if you get in touch with Raleigh.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:22 PM

Raleigh USA is officially a dumpster fire, and by extension Lapierre, and Diamond Back. Accell is in the crapper, you might have more luck finding their product at Dicks or Toys R Us...if you're lucky

I would find something else...and buy that

Sad state of affairs
Old 08-09-2017, 08:31 PM

that bites. I was hoping lapierre had avoided that in the usa. some of their bikes have that legit euro garbage look. like bh.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmm View Post
Lapierre is owned by Raleigh USA. I know of one person (in Canada) who just got one, so it should definitely be possible if you get in touch with Raleigh.
Raleigh (Accell) haven't had any new Lapierre inventory shown on their business to business website for a year, maybe two. I can't quite recall.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Raleigh USA is officially a dumpster fire, and by extension Lapierre, and Diamond Back. Accell is in the crapper, you might have more luck finding their product at Dicks or Toys R Us...if you're lucky

I would find something else...and buy that

Sad state of affairs
What happened here? Why did they shutter "real" bike operations?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:57 AM

Sucks. Raleigh's little cross program was pretty damn cool.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:21 AM

They went direct to consumer a while back via their site then starting dumping 2016 stock via Amazon and what not a few months later. Undercut their dealers existing inventory by a good 20% at their cost and basically just abandoned them in the Fall of 2016. Accell is in bed with Amazon, chain sporting goods stores and maroons on the internet. Not in the "Huffy" market at Wal Mart and not in an LBS. Interesting place to be

For many years they were a serviceable 2nd or 3rd tier brand in an LBS with decent dealer service, rep, support etc. Kids bikes, comfort bikes and some niche (Surly/Salsa) type bikes. They started slipping a while back.

Look for a few more bike brands to fall by the wayside after the destruction that 2017 has brought upon the industry. Right behind some bike brands are a few distributors that have been around for quite a while

Pretty soon, there will be no one left but Trek, Specialized, Giant and QBP...or so it seems. Even among that select group, there are some chinks in the armor. If there was a fight, QBP would win with ease

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
What happened here? Why did they shutter "real" bike operations?
Old 08-10-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Look for a few more bike brands to fall by the wayside after the destruction that 2017 has brought upon the industry.
Has it been that bad? Asking truthfully. Havent seen other brands fold yet so to the layperson (me) there hasn't been the feel of a cataclysmic shock.

My shop is pretty boutique (Peg, Pinarello, Felt is their water-carrier) and a whole lot of service and expertise, but they've been that way for awhile...
Old 08-10-2017, 04:13 PM

Mike's Bikes in NorCal carried LaPierre last year, but I have not seen any in a store this year. They might have something lying around in a warehouse.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:35 PM

Depends if you are the master of your own destiny with suppliers, have the discipline to stick to your plan, pay your bills and utilize all the resources at your fingertips to the fullest. If so, you'll pull thru pretty well

If not, you're in for a rough year. Been a slow season for the LBS in the Mid-Atlantic area

FWIW: even Specialized is asking their dealers for flat growth going into the 2017/2018 season. That's rare

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Has it been that bad? Asking truthfully. Havent seen other brands fold yet so to the layperson (me) there hasn't been the feel of a cataclysmic shock.

My shop is pretty boutique (Peg, Pinarello, Felt is their water-carrier) and a whole lot of service and expertise, but they've been that way for awhile...