Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2017, 05:58 PM

Helmet expiration?

Does anyone know if there is any real data about helmets losing functionality over time? Giro, for example, recommends replacing the helmet after 3 years. For most companies, it seems like "3-5 years" is a common time frame. After 5 years, does the styrofoam break down enough to not reliably protect one's head? Is the recommended replacement date purely a sales tactic?

To repeat: I'd love some real information, if anyone knows of any. I'm sure we all have our own anecdotal experiences, but a scientific study that actually arrives at a conclusion would be great.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:23 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Possibly the combination of heat, uv and sweat would eventually damage the foam and or straps. But... I think most just change because of fashion or boredom before it is an issue to worry about

Here's a little reading
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ying-guide.htm
http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm
Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 PM

Wasn't there a study that came out a couple years ago talking about how the integrity of the foam didn't degrade over years of use?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 PM

I've had a few helmets where the soft foam inserts that are used to customize the "fit" fell apart so I had to replace the helmets whether the structural foam was good or not.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Wasn't there a study that came out a couple years ago talking about how the integrity of the foam didn't degrade over years of use?
Yes there was. It was reprinted via a bunch of cycling websites. The gist of the article was that old helmets showed virtually no difference in a crash than brand new ones. I'm simplifying, but that's the angle.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:33 PM

I wouldn't use a lid that has been in the rotation for more than 3 years due to UV rays, damage from getting kicked around the gearbag etc and just plain smelling

There are some cheapskates on here that are still re-using the condom that they used on their prom night (allegedly) and they will tell you that their early 90's, Specialized Sub-6 is just fine and the LBS is attempting to rip them off by suggesting that it is no longer serviceable. Don't be that guy.

The lifespan suggestion given by the manufacturer of 3-5 years sounds extremely reasonable to me. But hey, it's your brain
Old 08-08-2017, 08:44 PM

Here are a few links, courtesy of The Google:

http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm

http://www.meaforensic.com/forensic-...lace-my-helmet

The 2nd link is for the study that I had in mind.

Last edited by berserk87; 08-08-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 PM

um

same life span carbon?
same risks ensue
Old 08-08-2017, 08:48 PM

I replace mine roughly every 5 years. It's not worth the risk.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
http://www.meaforensic.com/forensic-...lace-my-helmet

The 2nd link is for the study that I had in mind.

Thank you, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. Part of the reason for the initial question was about buying "new old stock" of helmets. Some bike shops, particularly larger ones, will have sale helmets that are only on sale because they're last year's colors. At my local shop last week I saw a Giro helmet that I like for roughly half off, and the manufacture date was late 2014. According to this article, and the ones a couple people here referenced from cycling sites from a couple years ago, this example I gave would be a perfectly usable helmet (assuming the shop didn't store it in a barrel of acid or in a 400° oven over the years).
Old 08-08-2017, 09:26 PM

But how would you really know

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
Thank you, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. Part of the reason for the initial question was about buying "new old stock" of helmets. Some bike shops, particularly larger ones, will have sale helmets that are only on sale because they're last year's colors. At my local shop last week I saw a Giro helmet that I like for roughly half off, and the manufacture date was late 2014. According to this article, and the ones a couple people here referenced from cycling sites from a couple years ago, this example I gave would be a perfectly usable helmet (assuming the shop didn't store it in a barrel of acid or in a 400° oven over the years).
Old 08-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
But how would you really know
Do you work for a company that manufactures helmets?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Do you work for a company that manufactures helmets?
I think he was just being facetious. Just like the question below is totally facetious:

The 2nd study linked above shows data for the attenuation tests of helmets of various ages. The best attenuation values in the study appears to be for helmets that are 6 to 7 years old - does that mean we should age our helmets, just like we used to be told that we should age our tubular tires?
Old 08-10-2017, 02:17 PM

In my personal experience and since I ride 10-16 hours a week I change every season or year. This is due to sweat, my helmet banging around in my race day bag, UV damage, dropping my helmet in front of coffee shops like an idiot and other misc. abuse. I've woken up in a hospital before and I don't take chances when it comes to my brain. I usually get hooked up with a helmet at the start of each season, but even if I didn't and I had to shoulder my bike expenses this is one expense I would not cheap out on.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:11 PM

my helmets are stored indoors under climate-controlled conditions for most of their service life.

the ambient air temperatures they experience on rides are pretty tame...30-100F +/-.

the impact-absorbing foam is covered by a plastic shell, so it's not getting all that much UV exposure.

sweat doesn't seem like it would be all that detrimental to the chemical composition of the foam and it gets rinsed off on a frequent basis.

don't see any reason to retire one until it sustains a significant impact. then, even if there's no visible damage, I'll bin it.